PDA

View Full Version : C-AF+MF Help setting please

Chevvyf1
2nd July 2011, 06:41 PM
C-AF+MF was my setting but now I cannot get it back ? help please ? *chr I must be doing something wrong somehow :confused:

Ian
2nd July 2011, 07:27 PM
Which camera and lens are you using?

You might try cleaning the contacts on the lens mount.

Ian

Chevvyf1
2nd July 2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Ian, E-5 & 14-54 Mk II ! its weird I cannot "select" C-AF+MF - its grey and passed over !
will check and clean contacts

peak4
2nd July 2011, 08:30 PM
Have you knocked it to a scene mode by accident?

Chevvyf1
2nd July 2011, 08:55 PM
no checked that ! I have even gone to factory resets !

DerekW
4th July 2011, 08:48 AM
I think that I have read about this somewhere but cannot remember where - I have been through the Instruction Manual several times as well.

I have a residual memory of some restriction that is related to the use of Bracketing could be exposure ie where you take several shots at different settings automatically.

Good luck

Chevvyf1
4th July 2011, 08:52 AM
Derek thank you for your ideas - I have tried this but I do need to be able to C-AF without bracketing too :)

I have a nasty feeling I may have corrupt firmware :( but have been given an email address to tech support, to whom I have written first thing this morning - and I am now waiting for a reply :)

I shall post the answer on here - for posterity !
ps and hope my E-5 does not have to go one holidays, without me:(

DerekW
4th July 2011, 08:54 AM
I mean that if you use Bracketing then the C-Af is disabled

Chevvyf1
4th July 2011, 09:15 AM
Oooo! I had not noticed that ! But then I have just discovered "Overlay" !

DerekW
4th July 2011, 06:27 PM
Did my suggestion work??

Chevvyf1
4th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Derek I tried and it did not :( and I have not had a reply from Oly Tech Sup yet :( if it was a simple thing I think I would have heard today :(

So to cheer myself up I am cooking Cold Cabbage & Cold New Jersey Pots; with Corned Beef and with Ketchup ! :) :) :) *chr

adam m lucas
4th July 2011, 07:42 PM
Hmmmmm , tasty - enjoy it with a nice drop of wine , Adam

Chevvyf1
4th July 2011, 07:44 PM
Hic ! pardon me! yes v nice ! :) happy now

Ian
4th July 2011, 09:21 PM
I have checked on my E-5 and C-AF+MF is present and available. I wonder if it's disabled on yours in one of the sub-menus?

Also, which lens are you using?

Ian

Chevvyf1
4th July 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi Ian, I have tried 14-54 Zuiko; 50-200 Zuiko and 150 Sigma !

I did think I had it this morning, It allowed me to select C-AF and C-AF MF but it did not hold it available !

Strange thing is, I reset to factory and still its not available :( ... although reset does not reset all me thinks !

Chevvyf1
5th July 2011, 04:21 AM
Ian someone gave me di-support@oly ... to email but I have heard nothing yet ! :( do you have an email I should write to ?

I feel as if something selected = no C-AF/MF option allowed ! but what selected ?

It sure was difficult getting a shot of the Red Kites with no C-AF Sunday :( I could do a lot better with C-AF :)

Chevvyf1
5th July 2011, 05:23 AM
I have just reset again :( and when I open the shutter on the screen Super Control Panel I can select C-AF and C-AF MF - but it seems it cancels out as soon as I use LIVE VIEW ? does this happen on yours ?

So maybe only C-AF and C-AF MF are available using the shutter ? and NOT LIVE VIEW ?

I shall test this theory later !

Chevvyf1
5th July 2011, 05:51 AM
I have just reset again :( and when I open the shutter - on the screen Super Control Panel I can select C-AF and C-AF MF - but it seems it cancels out as soon as I use LIVE VIEW ? does this happen on yours ?

So maybe only C-AF and C-AF MF available using the shutter ?

I shall test this theory later ! IT IS ! p.57 last line ! I am a Muppet :)

I have been using LV since I read p. 46 (last para) about how metering uses more AF points than Shutter

Ian
5th July 2011, 08:13 AM
I have just reset again :( and when I open the shutter - on the screen Super Control Panel I can select C-AF and C-AF MF - but it seems it cancels out as soon as I use LIVE VIEW ? does this happen on yours ?

So maybe only C-AF and C-AF MF available using the shutter ?

I shall test this theory later ! IT IS ! p.57 last line ! I am a Muppet :)

I have been using LV since I read p. 46 (last para) about how metering uses more AF points than Shutter

Right! C-AF is not possible in live view mode! Mystery solved! :)

Ian

DerekW
5th July 2011, 08:34 AM
However the manual says
"While shooting using live view, the dynamic-single target AF mode cannot be used."

so no wonder I could not find it while doing a search for C-AF in the PDF version of the manual.

This is a good example of how you need all the conditions to be known so one can diagnose the cause of a situation. I had gathered that Chevvy had spoke of bracketing but I forgot about her love of live view.

If only Olympus allowed us to down the conditions in the camera to the computer and then upload them to another camera so that we could check out the camera environment. It would also be useful for resetting the camera after a firmware update etc.

Chevvyf1
5th July 2011, 01:27 PM
REPLY from OLYMPUS

Dear Mr. Eaton,

we have consulted your enquiry and we advise you as follows:
- the combination MF+C-AF and C-AF cannot be set in the Live View Mode, because contrast based focusing does not work in the Live View Mode

Please refer to the Reference Manual page 35:

Um! they say Mr! bad assumption to make !

Chevvyf1
5th July 2011, 06:30 PM
I have to plead guilty to originally making the same assumption. When I received a PM from Chevvy which ended with Hugs & xxx ...... I was very concerned for quite a few days :) Thankfully, some time later, I saw a self photo that Chevvi posted..... and...... breathed a huge sigh of relief !! :D:D:D:D

John

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess riding motorbikes is an excuse for you :)