PDA

View Full Version : Pen E-P3 event next Tuesday evening in London

Ian
1st July 2011, 06:55 AM
There is space for an event to have some hands-on time with the new Pen E-P3and 12mm f/2.0 lens in central London next Tuesday evening. I should have some more details later today. If you are interested in attending, please let me know via private mail here on the forum. There are six places; if there is more interest than spaces I will make a random selection.

Olympus is also considering some events at different locations away from London and I will keep you updated on that.

Ian

Zuiko
1st July 2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Ian,

PM sent :)

Ian
2nd July 2011, 12:28 PM
I can still accommodate a couple more people - the event is in central London starting around 5PM and ending by 9PM.

As demand is not quite so large, I'll take first come first served...

PM me if you would like to come. There will be some food and refreshments too.

Ian

Zuiko
3rd July 2011, 10:37 PM
Any news on the venue yet, Ian? :)

wanderer
3rd July 2011, 11:05 PM
Olympus is also considering some events at different locations away from London and I will keep you updated on that.

Edinburgh? Stirling? Skye?:D

Doug H
5th July 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for this opportunity, Ian.
I admit to coming as a Pen sceptic, but having the opportunity to handle the new Pens - well the EP-3 and EPL-3 - with various lenses and chat to others, the combination of the EP-3, VF-2, and additional (bulkier) grip, won me over. Great informal evening with plenty to play with.

I didn't think I'd find the touch screen useful - until I tried it!

I'm not that impressed by cameras without viewfinders but the quality of the VF-2 make me quite happy to lose the mirror with its accompanying bulk and noise; it's not perfect, but as a glasses-wearer, it's great to be able to see all the shooting information without difficulty and to compose and frame more effectively. I also look forward to using manual focus lenses again - something which E series Live View never quite achieved for me.

I now don't see the Pens so much as a compact (pocketable) cameras rather - for me - a reduced size version of the E series cameras - one of my big reasons in going to Olympus was a reduction in size and weight which the existing E-x series bodies don't really do, although the FT lenses do compared to other makes. I will have no hesitation in putting bigger, faster FT lenses on the little body. Yes, it will require different handling, no it won't replace the E-x series, though I suspect my E-510 will probably see less use, but it will remain as a backup to its big brother.

Can't wait for them to come on sale!

Doug

Ian
5th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Glad you found the event useful, Doug :) And it was great to see yourself, Frank N Furter (Stephen), Andrew Riddell, The Saint (Simon), Zuiko (John Perriment), and David Gethin all from the e-group :)

It was a very pleasant surprise to see that a pre productions sample of the new 45mm f/1.8 was available to try - and boy is it sharp wide open! I have some shots but they need to be vetted by Olympus before they can be published.

And I was also able to use a properly working E-PL3 Lite for the first time. Pen Minis (E-PM1s) are still just mock-ups, however.

I hope to post some shots soon.

Ian

Zuiko
6th July 2011, 02:15 AM
Many thanks to Ian for offering the opportunity to take part in this event and to Mark Thackara and his team for organising it. I took rather a lot of pictures with the new Pen E-P3 and 12mm f2 combination and have put them in a seperate thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15730) to avoid making this one too long.

The Saint
6th July 2011, 02:12 PM
Ian

Thanks for yesterday evening. Was fun playing with some new equipment and just generally chatting.

Simon

Frank N Furter
7th July 2011, 05:04 PM
Just a quick thanks to Ian and the fellow forum members for making a very enjoyable evening.

Really great to get to play with the new kit...which was very impressive.

The E-P3 has gained a flash but could really use (in my opinion) a built in electronic viewfinder (another manufacturer has managed to do this without compromising the 'retro' look)...and the E-PL3 has lost it's flash....which seems a little bizarre.

The E-P3 is a great little camera but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the extra cost over the excellent XZ-1 as my travel camera. (Had the XZ-1 not existed, then I might be really tempted)

Anyway, great evening and plenty to think about...

Thanks again,

Stephen

Zuiko
7th July 2011, 05:09 PM
Just a quick thanks to Ian and the fellow forum members for making a very enjoyable evening.

The E-P3 has gained a flash but could really use (in my opinion) a built in electronic viewfinder (another manufacturer has managed to do this without compromising the 'retro' look)...and the E-PL3 has lost it's flash....which seems a little bizarre.

The E-P3 is a great little camera but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the extra cost over the excellent XZ-1 as my travel camera. (Had the XZ-1 not existed, then I might be really tempted)

Thanks again,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, it was good to meet you.

I presume you mean the Fuji X100, which looks a small, neat little package in the pictures. Have you seen how big it is in the flesh? :eek:

Frank N Furter
7th July 2011, 05:22 PM
Hi John,
Yes I was referring to the X100, which granted is a bit of a beast, however Panasonic now have a small m4/3 with built in viewfinder so probably not beyond possibility. They could place it top left like the x100 rather than centrally... of course that would mean moving or removing the flash....but at least the hot shoe would not be taken up with a VF-2... so on balance, if it was one or the other, I'd probably plumb for an internal VF replacing the flash...

....I don't envy the design team having to make these decisions...

Stephen

Ian
7th July 2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks again,

Stephen

Don't forget that the Pen Lite E-PL3 does have a low profile removable flash in the box:

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/317/e-pl3_01.jpg

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/317/e-pl3_02.jpg

Yes I know that you can't use it at the same time as a VF-2 but it does connect to the Accessory Port connector so it's able to remotely control external R-series flash units.

The Fuji X100 is bigger and heavier than the E-P3 and has to make do with a smaller LCD to accommodate the EVF.

Ian