PDA

View Full Version : Three new Micro Four Thirds Pens from Olympus

Four Thirds User
30th June 2011, 05:11 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Olympus has today revealed three new Micro Four Thirds Pen compact system camera models and two new fast prime lenses. We report direct from the European press launch in Vienna.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/06/three_new_micro_four_thirds_pens_from_olympus.php)

Ian
30th June 2011, 05:50 AM
Well, the news is finally out - officially at least. I will be using the new E-P3 and hope to post camera image samples late this evening after getting home from Vienna (assuming I can get home in light of the strikes today!)

So now you know the logic behind the sensor poll (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15508) - Olympus has gone for quality rather than pixel count and judging by the results of the poll that is exactly what most of you wanted.

Lots to discuss - the improved sensor (12800 ISO now selectable), TruePIC VI, the E-P3's OLED touch screen, the Pen Lite's Sony NEX-style design with articulating screen, the new FL-300R flash, and of course those two new fast prime lenses, not forgetting the Pen Mini! :)

I was also able to speak at length with Akira Watanabe about other developments.

Unfortunately I won't be able to post here further until later this evening, but if you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them!

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
30th June 2011, 06:51 AM
Look forward to seeing the results Ian and your hands-on experience.

Beyond general image quality I'm keen to see if the FAST system has delivered any advantages for us users of 'legacy' 4/3 lenses, particularly the longer zooms.

Hope you have a good journey.

Nick

Melaka
30th June 2011, 09:56 AM
I see nothing to tempt me to move from FT.

Wally
30th June 2011, 02:26 PM
With the 'new Super EVF projected to hit the streets next year, I believe I would hold off until then. Who knows what else might be coming out? A touch screen that swivels would also be a nice addition.

Ian
30th June 2011, 09:26 PM
Look forward to seeing the results Ian and your hands-on experience.

Beyond general image quality I'm keen to see if the FAST system has delivered any advantages for us users of 'legacy' 4/3 lenses, particularly the longer zooms.

Hope you have a good journey.

Nick

Hi Nick, hopefully I will get an E-P3 for long term use tomorrow. I will certainly be doing all sorts of tests then :) I did try a 50 macro but I didn't notice an appreciable improvement in focus speed compared to an E-P2 I also had with me.

I will be posting lots of full size sample images tomorrow once I have sorted through them on the big screen at the office.

Ian

R MacE
30th June 2011, 10:38 PM
I see nothing to tempt me to move from FT.

Me neither, no EVF = no deal for a start.

Olympus seem to be concentrating on m4/3rds, for 4/3rds users there's absolutely nothing in the way of small/entry/mid level bodies like the E-4** or E-620. All we get is the E-5 which personally I wouldn't take if it came with free money as I haven't used my E-3 in over a year (too big, too heavy and a poor UI, especially the dual function buttons
and absence of a Mode Dial)
The closest I can get to an E-4** is one of the low end Pen bodies but they won't work as well with 4/3rds lenses as a proper 4/3rds body, I can't imagine trying to use my 50-200 on a Pen with no viewfinder and I dislike having no viewfinder regardless of lens used.

So basically as a 4/3rds user I've been hung out to dry, not that I should be surprised, I used to be an OM system user.

Ian
1st July 2011, 06:19 AM
Me neither, no EVF = no deal for a start.

Olympus seem to be concentrating on m4/3rds, for 4/3rds users there's absolutely nothing in the way of small/entry/mid level bodies like the E-4** or E-620. All we get is the E-5 which personally I wouldn't take if it came with free money as I haven't used my E-3 in over a year (too big, too heavy and a poor UI, especially the dual function buttons
and absence of a Mode Dial)
The closest I can get to an E-4** is one of the low end Pen bodies but they won't work as well with 4/3rds lenses as a proper 4/3rds body, I can't imagine trying to use my 50-200 on a Pen with no viewfinder and I dislike having no viewfinder regardless of lens used.

So basically as a 4/3rds user I've been hung out to dry, not that I should be surprised, I used to be an OM system user.

I have been saying all along that Olympus is very aware of the situation of users just like yourself. We have debated this here and my expectation is that once they have completed a big push on the Micro Four Thirds side of things they will devote freed-up resources to producing a solution for Four Thirds users. Now these three Pen models are nearing completion, I think think we're getting closer to that stage.

Ian

Ian
1st July 2011, 09:19 AM
I have a shiny new silver Pen E-P3 sitting in front of me :) AND the new 12mm f/2.0, which I wasn't expecting until later to be honest.

In response to the feedback here about no-viewfinder then no-good, presumably that means the detachable VF-2 is not a tenable proposition?

Ian

Kiwi Paul
1st July 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm keeping an interested eye on MFT development and it's beginning to tempt me now with the introduction of the new bodies and lenses. I'll also wait and see what other lenses are released and see what the MFT "Pro" body is like assuming they produce one. Certainly the addition of the the 12mm and 45mm primes is very good.
If (or once) they produce MFT lenses that can match the FT HG lenses optical quality then I would seriously consider switching.

Paul

Nick Temple-Fry
1st July 2011, 10:14 AM
I have been saying all along that Olympus is very aware of the situation of users just like yourself. We have debated this here and my expectation is that once they have completed a big push on the Micro Four Thirds side of things they will devote freed-up resources to producing a solution for Four Thirds users. Now these three Pen models are nearing completion, I think think we're getting closer to that stage.

Ian

Now that seems like a careful comment made under a non-disclosure agreement. Lets hope Olympus march this one along to the worlds timescale, rather than their own.

Nick

Ian
1st July 2011, 11:03 AM
Now that seems like a careful comment made under a non-disclosure agreement. Lets hope Olympus march this one along to the worlds timescale, rather than their own.

Nick

No, no non-disclosure agreement. I had several long conversations with Akira Watanabe over the last two days and while some of the things discussed are not for detailed public disclosure, I can reflect some of the things we talked about, which often concur with earlier comments from other people at Olympus I speak to.

So once again we talked about the telephoto macro lens that remains on the Four Thirds lens roadmap - it's definitely not cancelled and remains on a list of projects that have been prioritised. In fact he says design work on this lens has already been quite comprehensive, so I would think they would not want to waste it.

Mr Watanabe echoed his colleagues comments that Four Thirds system users are very important to them. The E-5, although a relatively small project in terms of numbers, ia a success and exceeded its targets (in other words it has made a profit) and even increased the demand for Pro and Top Pro lenses.

But this has to be balanced with the fact that Olympus needs to strengthen its overall camera business and this means investing heavily in Micro Four Thirds. All along I have been told that Four Thirds is not a forgotten thing, but its priority has had to be behind Pen-related work. Pen technology developments are often compatible with DSLR requirements too. The E-5 is largely Pen-related. It was promised and delivered. I am confident that there is more to come for Four Thirds users, but there is no escaping that looking further forward the future is mirror-less and logically speaking that means a Micro Four Thirds based camera that is compatible with Four Thirds.

Ian

Ian
1st July 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm keeping an interested eye on MFT development and it's beginning to tempt me now with the introduction of the new bodies and lenses. I'll also wait and see what other lenses are released and see what the MFT "Pro" body is like assuming they produce one. Certainly the addition of the the 12mm and 45mm primes is very good.
If (or once) they produce MFT lenses that can match the FT HG lenses optical quality then I would seriously consider switching.

Paul

The 12mm f/2.0 is regarded by Olympus as a Pro-quality lens, if not quite Top Pro. It is made at the Tatsuno facility in Japan and has a sturdy and high quality metal design.

The new 45mm f/1.8, which we haven't yet seen, will be made in China and is not built to the same high specification as the 12mm, but I'm told that Olympus is very pleased with the optical performance. Best of all it's much more affordable than the 12mm (300 versus 700).

Ian

Zuiko
1st July 2011, 01:23 PM
No, no non-disclosure agreement. I had several long conversations with Akira Watanabe over the last two days and while some of the things discussed are not for detailed public disclosure, I can reflect some of the things we talked about, which often concur with earlier comments from other people at Olympus I speak to.

So once again we talked about the telephoto macro lens that remains on the Four Thirds lens roadmap - it's definitely not cancelled and remains on a list of projects that have been prioritised. In fact he says design work on this lens has already been quite comprehensive, so I would think they would not want to waste it.

Mr Watanabe echoed his colleagues comments that Four Thirds system users are very important to them. The E-5, although a relatively small project in terms of numbers, ia a success and exceeded its targets (in other words it has made a profit) and even increased the demand for Pro and Top Pro lenses.

But this has to be balanced with the fact that Olympus needs to strengthen its overall camera business and this means investing heavily in Micro Four Thirds. All along I have been told that Four Thirds is not a forgotten thing, but its priority has had to be behind Pen-related work. Pen technology developments are often compatible with DSLR requirements too. The E-5 is largely Pen-related. It was promised and delivered. I am confident that there is more to come for Four Thirds users, but there is no escaping that looking further forward the future is mirror-less and logically speaking that means a Micro Four Thirds based camera that is compatible with Four Thirds.

Ian

I'll settle for that. :)

wanderer
1st July 2011, 02:38 PM
I am not that interested in the Pen system particularly as I find a viewfinder almost indispensible. And I don't like my hotshoe clogged up with an add on.
I had a good look at Ian's Pen on Skye and it did look very pretty but I am still at the stage of wanting a big black b****r to beat the wildlife to death with and then photograph it.

The E-5, although a relatively small project in terms of numbers, ia a success and exceeded its targets (in other words it has made a profit) and even increased the demand for Pro and Top Pro lenses.

That is good news to me and complements the way I am heading.
I am in the process of buying an E-5 and a 7-14. After seeing, handling and using other top pro lenses on Skye I am very much of the opinion that my next lens will be the 35-100. I like my 12-60 too and am also after a 50mm macro which I intend to use for portraiture. Beyond that perhaps the 14-35 or the 90-250 but they are available on hire for specific jobs. A s for telephoto macro, the images I see on this website are so good that I feel that an upgrade of that lens would meet all the criteria asked.
I previously bought my E-3 about a year after it came out and most of the bugs had been ironed out.

What I might be interested in is a tough version of a Pen.

the future is mirror-less and logically speaking that means a Micro Four Thirds based camera that is compatible with Four Thirds.

Not necessarily MFT. Surely it would be a mirror-less four thirds but with a viewfinder.

Ian
1st July 2011, 03:00 PM
Not necessarily MFT. Surely it would be a mirror-less four thirds but with a viewfinder.

There isn't really any benefit in a Four Thirds body without a mirror. You might as well have a Micro Four Thirds mount on a slimmer body and then use an adapter for Four Thirds lenses. That way you get the benefit of using MFT lenses should you wish to, which would be impossible using a FT-only body. It would also be possible to use legacy lens adapters on a MFT body that would not be possible on a FT-only body.

Ian

Gwyver
1st July 2011, 03:15 PM
The 12mm f/2.0 is regarded by Olympus as a Pro-quality lens, if not quite Top Pro. It is made at the Tatsuno facility in Japan and has a sturdy and high quality metal design.

Ian

The specs on the Olympus website make no mention of the 12mm lens being dust and splashproof (which is a given for 4/3 HG & SHG lenses). This suggests that the rumoured Pen 'Pro' is unlikely to be weather-proof. Not encouraging for those of us becoming too feeble to tote their weighty E3 or E5 all day long and were hoping that a viable FT-compatible way forward might soon be forthcoming.

Ian
1st July 2011, 03:28 PM
The specs on the Olympus website make no mention of the 12mm lens being dust and splashproof (which is a given for 4/3 HG & SHG lenses). This suggests that the rumoured Pen 'Pro' is unlikely to be weather-proof. Not encouraging for those of us becoming too feeble to tote their weighty E3 or E5 all day long and were hoping that a viable FT-compatible way forward might soon be forthcoming.

I did discuss this with Akira Watanabe. He is fully aware that Olympus has a reputation for dust and moisture proofing cameras. He also explained that it's relatively easy to produce a sealed camera body, it's more difficult for lenses and especially small lenses. Read into that what you will!

Ian

Ian
1st July 2011, 04:12 PM
My first E-P3 image post here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/PEN00072.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/21299)

Another journalist photographing the Lipizzan stallions at the Spanish Riding School, in Vienna yesterday.

Taken using an Olympus Pen E-P3 fitted with a Zuiko Digital 50mm f/2.0 macro and shot at f/2.8, ISO 1600, and the image is slightly adjusted in Lightroom from a camera JPEG (no RAW compatibility at present). About a third of the frame has been cropped off.

Ian

David M
1st July 2011, 05:03 PM

Ian

Well, the lens has been on the roadmap since 2003 and I've been waiting for it for 6 or 7 years so at this point I'll only believe it's going to happen when it's available to buy.

Greytop
1st July 2011, 08:06 PM

Ian

This all sounds very encouraging Ian, thanks for sharing this *chr
I'm really looking forward to this hybrid m4/3 - 4/3 body, for me weather sealing is quite important so it is good to hear that is not such a stumbling block for what is likely to be a smaller body.

Ulfric M Douglas
1st July 2011, 08:10 PM
Ian thanks for the pic of the journalist, those new-skinned lenses are very nice indeed.

Any noises about the e-P3 changy-handgrip function being used to integrate a powered 4/3rds adapter/viewfinder whole shebang?

Kiwi Paul
1st July 2011, 10:02 PM
Here's an extremely complimentary article on the new Oly mFT kit......
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/olympus_ups_its_game.shtml

Paul

Ian
1st July 2011, 10:35 PM
Here's an extremely complimentary article on the new Oly mFT kit......
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/olympus_ups_its_game.shtml

Paul

I spotted a few errors in the article:

1080p HD video - it's 1080 at 60i (interlaced, not progressive)

AVCHD and MJPEG clips up to 29 minutes - MJPEG is still limited to around 7 minutes as it's encapsulated by 2GB limited AVI.

The article describes the 45mm f/1.8 as having the same all-metal construction as the 12mm f/2.0 - not my understanding. It looks the same, but is largely plastic in construction and explains why it's much cheaper.

But I'm pleased he's enthusiastic! :)

Ian

R MacE
1st July 2011, 11:46 PM
I have a shiny new silver Pen E-P3 sitting in front of me :) AND the new 12mm f/2.0, which I wasn't expecting until later to be honest.

In response to the feedback here about no-viewfinder then no-good, presumably that means the detachable VF-2 is not a tenable proposition?

Ian

Definately not, something even more fragile than the flip out LCD on the E-3, an additional item to carry then fit or have it fitted all the time which makes it even more vulnerable.

That aside the clip on EVF is too expensive, it should be included with the body as the Pen bodies are expensive (IMO overpriced) as it is.

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd July 2011, 01:11 AM
Definately not, something even more fragile than the flip out LCD on the E-3, an additional item to carry then fit or have it fitted all the time which makes it even more vulnerable.

That aside the clip on EVF is too expensive, it should be included with the body as the Pen bodies are expensive (IMO overpriced) as it is.

Must admit having used an E-PL1 and VF-2 for over a year I do not find that the vf-2 is fragile (mine is too all intents permanently on the camera), I'm not aware of reports of problems. Though if you remove it, then yes it could have a high loseability quotient.

It is fairly high priced, but once bought could be easily used with any new PEN bodies you acquired.

Nick

Greytop
2nd July 2011, 09:12 AM
Must admit having used an E-PL1 and VF-2 for over a year I do not find that the vf-2 is fragile (mine is too all intents permanently on the camera), I'm not aware of reports of problems. Though if you remove it, then yes it could have a high loseability quotient.

It is fairly high priced, but once bought could be easily used with any new PEN bodies you acquired.

Nick

I agree, I certainly do not find the VF-2 fragile but would add that the combination makes for a completely different and improved shooting experience, so much so that I think it should be considered as a bundled item with perhaps the two more expensive bodies.

As I mentioned earlier I think that when (hopefully) the Pro Pen is introduced it will have an integrated EVF and this will dictate a quite different style of camera body, perhaps closer to a smaller D-SLR with a more substantial grip and weather sealing.

R MacE
2nd July 2011, 05:39 PM

Nick

I suspect that an integrated EVF would be more compact and if you keep an EVF mounted permanently then there's little to be gained in making it removeable in the 1st place but it does come at a significant additional cost and ties up the hot shoe. The clip on stuck on top makes the Pen little if any more compact than my E-420. As for fragility I guess it depends on intended use, I use my E-420 for backpacking/canoeing/hillwalking/X/C skiing off piste so don't really want an EVF stuck on the hotshoe where it can get ripped off likely damaging the hotshoe and power socket into the bargain. So no, unless Olympus make an m4/3 with an integrated EVF I'm not interested, if they fail to provide a small body E-4**/620 upgrade I'll have to switch to a Panasonic G1/G2 which I've thus far resisted as I prefer the Olympus Super Control Panel. The SCP makes operation with gloves easier/faster than a multitude of little direct access buttons on a small camera body.

To be perfectly honest I think Olympus have played the 'Retro' card long enough with the Pen Digital, it's played out and about time they built a camera where form is secondary to function.

With regard to a 'Pro' Pen with weather proofing, I prefer the E-420 over the E-3 due to the weight advantage and thus far it's been sufficiently weather proof to make carrying the E-3 pointless. I've had it stuck on a tripod on the hill with so much snow on the back that I couldn't see the LCD, it was then carried in a CCS Snowflake pouch where the snow melted but continued to function. I think the weather proofing on the E-3 is nice insurance but by no means an absolute must, after all an E-400 was used by Dr Rob Casserley on the summit of Everest (Olympus User #11) without a problem.

Ian
2nd July 2011, 06:03 PM
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 is the most compact Micro Four Thirds camera with a built in EVF yet, but it still has a hump on top. Nevertheless, it is substantially smaller and lighter than even an E-4xx. There is no mirror box so the body is automatically about 2cm thinner. But it still looks like a DSLR.

Interestingly, Akira Watanabe wanted to know what I thought about a Pen model with a built in viewfinder. Where would the EVF go? Would I want a hump-style like the Panasonics or a more rangefinder camera style with a flat top. But with the current style for having large three inch screens, where would the viewfinder go? The Fuji Finepix X100 has an EVF that is built into a rangefinder style body, but this forced them to use a smaller screen. Panasonics also have a large over-hang at the back with the viewfinder. This is avoided in the X100 by using a periscope arrangement inside the body so the EVF and its optics are 90 degrees to the direction of view at the eyepiece.

What would everyone here want - a rangefinder style body and possibly a smaller rear screen or a mini DSLR style like the Panasonics?

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
2nd July 2011, 06:20 PM
Want : top-left EVF, less overhang than G, not so big LCD ... thanks. Oh and 300. thanks again.

DekHog
2nd July 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh and 300. thanks again.

What's the 300 for, the leather case? :D

I'd go for the rangefinder style with EVF every time - a smaller screen wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the form factor stayed the same. I think with having Panasonic in the m43 market we're more than spoilt for choice in the D-SLR body style anyway....

R MacE
2nd July 2011, 07:15 PM
Left or central it doesn't matter much to be honest, you could place it left and continue the 'hump' across to right of center to facilitate a pop up flash that sits central to the lens mount.

I know some people don't like the G1/2/3 because they look like DSLRs, does it matter as long as they work?

DekHog
2nd July 2011, 07:36 PM
I know some people don't like the G1/2/3 because they look like DSLRs, does it matter as long as they work?

It does to a lot of people.... I still think the Olympus take on m43 is the best for styling and size. I'm sure the Fuji X100's styling has a lot to do with it's runaway success as well.....

R MacE
2nd July 2011, 08:16 PM
I think the E-PL2 is the best looking Pen but AFAIK it doesn't have a proper command dial. Of the m4/3rds bodies without a built in EVF I think I'd prefer the Panasonic GF1/GF2. From a practical point of view I think the GF1 is the best of the sans EVF models to date, the G2 being the best overall, of course I'm only considering actual layout/form not IQ.

R MacE
2nd July 2011, 09:43 PM
There isn't really any benefit in a Four Thirds body without a mirror. You might as well have a Micro Four Thirds mount on a slimmer body and then use an adapter for Four Thirds lenses. That way you get the benefit of using MFT lenses should you wish to, which would be impossible using a FT-only body. It would also be possible to use legacy lens adapters on a MFT body that would not be possible on a FT-only body.

Ian

I missed this earlier but feel you're overlooking the obvious downside for a 4/3rds user switching to using a mirrorless m4/3rds rather than a mirrorless 4/3rds, the 150 adapter.

Olympus continuity is all over the place when it comes to 4/3rds/m4/3rds, I personally hold out little hope of an E-System body to replace either the E-4** or E-6**, my feeling is they're playing the waiting game and that by the time they get around to thinking about the E-System they'll find (possibly to their relief) that there's insufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The E-System will be phased out or more accurately allowed to quietly disappear like the Panasonic 4/3rds range in favour of the Pen System where they can charge 2x times the price for something that does less and then expect the user to stump up for lens adapters rather than write off their existing 4/3rds lenses.

I initially switched from a Nikon D70 to an E-1 so that I could get some use from my OM Zuiko lenses and never regretted doing so but I certainly didn't expect to have to switch to yet another system in a relatively short space of time to continue to use (with reduced functionality) my Zuiko Digital 4/3rds lenses.

Ian
3rd July 2011, 01:22 AM
I missed this earlier but feel you're overlooking the obvious downside for a 4/3rds user switching to using a mirrorless m4/3rds rather than a mirrorless 4/3rds, the 150 adapter.

Olympus continuity is all over the place when it comes to 4/3rds/m4/3rds, I personally hold out little hope of an E-System body to replace either the E-4** or E-6**, my feeling is they're playing the waiting game and that by the time they get around to thinking about the E-System they'll find (possibly to their relief) that there's insufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The E-System will be phased out or more accurately allowed to quietly disappear like the Panasonic 4/3rds range in favour of the Pen System where they can charge 2x times the price for something that does less and then expect the user to stump up for lens adapters rather than write off their existing 4/3rds lenses.

I initially switched from a Nikon D70 to an E-1 so that I could get some use from my OM Zuiko lenses and never regretted doing so but I certainly didn't expect to have to switch to yet another system in a relatively short space of time to continue to use (with reduced functionality) my Zuiko Digital 4/3rds lenses.

I remember lots of people saying that an E-3 replacement would never come and then the E-5 arrived.

The wait and uncertainty is certainly frustrating, there is no way around that.

When a so-called Pen Pro arrives (as it surely must) I'm quite sure that there will either be an adapter in the box or some kind of scheme to supply them on request at a special price.

Ian

ozzie
3rd July 2011, 06:42 AM
Hi Ian
Have you had a chance to test 4/3 lenses on the ep3 .Is there any increased focus speed ?
Thanks
John

Ian
3rd July 2011, 08:06 AM
Hi Ian
Have you had a chance to test 4/3 lenses on the ep3 .Is there any increased focus speed ?
Thanks
John

Contrast detect optimised lenses like the 14-54 II seem to be worked harder when focusing (the motor soudn is higher pitched) but if there is an improvment in focus speed, it is not dramatic in my experience. SWD and older Four Thirds lenses seem to focus at much the same speed as on an E-P2.

Ian

Ian
3rd July 2011, 04:08 PM
Here are some short video clips taken last Thursday on the E-P3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggACLAZ74yg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Vi9TXnXmY

It's pretty good, I feel and 29 minute clips are so much more useful than the 7 minute limit of the old AVI format.

Ian

wanderer
3rd July 2011, 06:11 PM
I feel the train of discussion here is pointing at a DSLR with built in EVF. It certainly looks like a M4/3 but I think that a 4/3 version will appear.
It will be interesting to see where the market goes. I don't think Nikon and Canon have it as much their own way as they did a couple of years ago. I see many visitors to Stirling Castle with DSLRs. Yes the 2 market leaders are there but I also see Olympus, Sony and Pentax. I have not yet seen a Hasselblad but a couple of Leicas yes.

I am not upset by the idea of a bump on the top of the camera. A large LCD on the back is useful. I have not, so far, damaged mine on the E-3. (probably will now)
It is, after all, a move up from a compact or bridge camera. And a number of bridge cameras already look like DSLRs.

R MacE
3rd July 2011, 07:15 PM
I remember lots of people saying that an E-3 replacement would never come and then the E-5 arrived.

The wait and uncertainty is certainly frustrating, there is no way around that.

When a so-called Pen Pro arrives (as it surely must) I'm quite sure that there will either be an adapter in the box or some kind of scheme to supply them on request at a special price.

Ian

It's quite possible that a Pro Pen will come but it'll be extremely expensive given the price of existing Pen models and at best will probably only equal the handling/performance of an entry level DSLR. For that reason I fear that there won't be a new entry level E-System body that perfoms as well as the E-4*0/5*0 range did, would you develop and build a low cost E-System DSLR that outperformed your expensive top of the range Micro 4/3rds offering?

DJMC
4th July 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm guessing the Chinese have already made a 15 4/3 to m4/3 adapter at 1/10th of the cost of the Olympus one. We just need a few E-P2/3 members to report as to whether the machining tolerances are correct on those made available on ebay, then we can buy with confidence. Has anyone found a good replica adapter so far?

Nick Temple-Fry
4th July 2011, 11:32 AM
I'm guessing the Chinese have already made a 15 4/3 to m4/3 adapter at 1/10th of the cost of the Olympus one. We just need a few E-P2/3 members to report as to whether the machining tolerances are correct on those made available on ebay, then we can buy with confidence. Has anyone found a good replica adapter so far?

They have, indeed a member of the forum bought one, unfortunately it lacks the necessary bits to connect the 4/3 lens contacts to the different pattern of m4/3 lens contacts. So though he could mount a lens it wouldn't focus or adjust aperture - great for those with a large collection of manual 4/3 lenses.

Nick

Greytop
4th July 2011, 11:38 AM
It's quite possible that a Pro Pen will come but it'll be extremely expensive given the price of existing Pen models and at best will probably only equal the handling/performance of an entry level DSLR. For that reason I fear that there won't be a new entry level E-System body that perfoms as well as the E-4*0/5*0 range did, would you develop and build a low cost E-System DSLR that outperformed your expensive top of the range Micro 4/3rds offering?
With the greatest respect I don't think anybody can confidently make even a 'probably' statement about a camera that is most likely still deep in the developmental stage and that nobody has seen, let alone used in anger.
Lets wait and see what Olympus release before getting wrapped up in hypothetical scenarios about something that doesn't yet exist ;)

DJMC
4th July 2011, 11:57 AM
They have, indeed a member of the forum bought one, unfortunately it lacks the necessary bits to connect the 4/3 lens contacts to the different pattern of m4/3 lens contacts. So though he could mount a lens it wouldn't focus or adjust aperture - great for those with a large collection of manual 4/3 lenses.

Nick

It's just a matter of time before someone gets it right. We need to ensure there's confirmation from an 'expert' when one is found (Ian?), as I wouldn't know how to test an adapter.

Homer Simpson
4th July 2011, 07:33 PM
It's just a matter of time before someone gets it right. We need to ensure there's confirmation from an 'expert' when one is found (Ian?), as I wouldn't know how to test an adapter.

David,

Ian's paymasters are Olympus so you can't expect him to comment can you?
Remember he is being exceptionally tolerant allowing us to discuss none Olympus equipment here. I can't imagine any other webmaster in a similar situation doing so.

DJMC
4th July 2011, 08:28 PM
David,

Remember he is being exceptionally tolerant allowing us to discuss none Olympus equipment here. I can't imagine any other webmaster in a similar situation doing so.

I've been here a few months and had a good look around and that's the first I've heard of this being an Olympus owned website!

In that case, we should be asking for a free arapter IF we buy a m4/3 model. I'm interested in an E-P3 body to use my 4/3 lenses on, but 150 for a hollow tube would keep me away out of principle.

Ian
4th July 2011, 08:45 PM
David,

As long as it's the truth (either pro or con Olympus) then I am perfectly free to say or write what I like. Outside the e-group I write independently about Panasonic on both DPNow and Four Thirds User, and in fact I do me utmost to be unbiased and fair when I write about Olympus' competitors on DPNow, which is a non platform-specific site.

Believe it or not, camera companies like Olympus respect constructive criticism and even invite it on order to improve their products.

I frequently mention cheaper 3rd party products here. Of the adapter in question, I have not heard about this until today, so I don't really have any knowledge to make any comment.

Ian

DekHog
4th July 2011, 08:48 PM
Any idea when you'll be getting your hands on the 45mm F1.8, Ian? I want it to be so good that I'll sell the dog to get it.... :)

Ian
4th July 2011, 08:49 PM
I've been here a few months and had a good look around and that's the first I've heard of this being an Olympus owned website!

In that case, we should be asking for a free arapter IF we buy a m4/3 model. I'm interested in an E-P3 body to use my 4/3 lenses on, but 150 for a hollow tube would keep me away out of principle.

Olympus doesn't have the infrastructure to operate and manage mini-sites like this. So, after I launched Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com), which is not country or Micro/Four Thirds brand-specific, Olympus UK asked me to formulate and run a community site and the e-group is the result. They paid for it to be set up and for its maintenance, which is why it's ad-free, apart from one Olympus ad position on the front page. But it's not an 'official' Olympus site.

Editorially, I have free-reign and have had no complaints in the several years I have been running the site.

Ian

Ian
4th July 2011, 08:54 PM
Any idea when you'll be getting your hands on the 45mm F1.8, Ian? I want it to be so good that I'll sell the dog to get it.... :)

They didn't even have any early engineering samples last week and the expected launch date is September, so I reckon we may see some samples around the middle to the end of August.

Just to be clear, the 45mm f/1.8 is not a 'Tatsuno' lens (made in Tokyo) - it's made in China and it's not made in quite as luxurious fashion as the 12mm (which is a Tatsuno lens), although it shares a family look with the 12mm. This is partly why it is so more affordable than the 12mm (300 vs. 700). However, Akira Watanabe did say that the optical performance of the 45mm has exceeded their targets and he thinks it will be a deservedly popular lens.

Ian

R MacE
4th July 2011, 09:06 PM
With the greatest respect I don't think anybody can confidently make even a 'probably' statement about a camera that is most likely still deep in the developmental stage and that nobody has seen, let alone used in anger.
Lets wait and see what Olympus release before getting wrapped up in hypothetical scenarios about something that doesn't yet exist ;)

I'd like to think that if there is an entry level 4/3rds body in the pipeline let alone an m4/3rds Pro body that they're well beyond the 'deep in development' stage.

In any case it's not unreasoable to suggest that an m4/3rds 'Pro Body' is going to cost considerably more than the E-P3 which in turn (based on the cost of the E-P1 compared to the entry level E-System bodies) would more than likely cost more than an upgraded E-420/520.

Ian
4th July 2011, 09:18 PM
I'd like to think that if there is an entry level 4/3rds body in the pipeline let alone an m4/3rds Pro body that they're well beyond the 'deep in development' stage.

In any case it's not unreasoable to suggest that an m4/3rds 'Pro Body' is going to cost considerably more than the E-P3 which in turn (based on the cost of the E-P1 compared to the entry level E-System bodies) would more than likely cost more than an upgraded E-420/520.

I'm not so sure. Olympus has provided the E-5 for the more serious and/or well-heeled Olympus fans. They know that the E-5xx/4xx and E-6xx users need an upgrade path. There are more of these and so the market is potentially larger. I would be surprised if they didn't provide something for them and in their range of affordability. But that's just my feeling.

Ian

DekHog
4th July 2011, 09:51 PM
Actually, made in China doesn't bother me in the slightest, especially if it can keep costs down for a quality product - I'm sure Olympus don't just farm out to the lowest bidder then leave QC to them as well.... :)

DekHog
4th July 2011, 11:32 PM
Some nice shots from the 45mm here (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/927117-Preview-Olympus-M.Zuiko-Digital-45mm-f-1.8-Lens).....

Ian
5th July 2011, 08:08 AM
Actually, made in China doesn't bother me in the slightest, especially if it can keep costs down for a quality product - I'm sure Olympus don't just farm out to the lowest bidder then leave QC to them as well.... :)

I totally agree. But the construction is, I'm told, not as high brow as the 12mm (more plastic parts) and there is no funky snap manual focus ring.

Ian

R MacE
5th July 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm not so sure. Olympus has provided the E-5 for the more serious and/or well-heeled Olympus fans. They know that the E-5xx/4xx and E-6xx users need an upgrade path. There are more of these and so the market is potentially larger. I would be surprised if they didn't provide something for them and in their range of affordability. But that's just my feeling.

Ian

It's an interesting view and I'd like to think you're right but I suspect that if Olympus couldn't sell sufficient 4/3rds DSLR's to be profitable when the system was fresh and the only competition was APS-C DSLR's I honestly doubt that they can do so now when their only realistic sales target is existing 4/3rds owners who will actually buy the product rather than talk about it.

I've just been reading John Fosters E-5 review (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e5_tst.html)but it's the final few paragraphs that make the most interesting reading. I have to say I share his views on the E-System as it now stands and although I hadn't given much thought to the future of m4/3rds I find myself unable to come up with a convincing counter argument.

OlyPaul
9th July 2011, 07:04 AM
I feel the train of discussion here is pointing at a DSLR with built in EVF. It certainly looks like a M4/3 but I think that a 4/3 version will appear.

I really think a 4/3 mount mirrorless is very unlikely.

Ian is always saying that mirrorless is the future and I have no reason to doubt him as he is closer to Olympus than I.

But when you take a recent quote from Akira Watanabe saying that Olympus have abandoned trying to get the phase detect lenses working well with the contrast based cameras,then the writing is on the wall for any 4/3 lens owners as you will eventually be at a disadvantage when the future completely arrives .

I'd kill for that 45mm f1.8 in a 4/3 mount but it aint going to happen. :(

mer
5th August 2011, 02:48 AM
I think that's not bad