28th June 2011, 10:07 PM
Really? How? I paid the full price in Smiths for mine today.... :confused:

Ditto :(

Cheers,

JohnGG

Zuiko
28th June 2011, 11:08 PM
I saw it in Smiths today, printed on the cover "2 Exclusive to W.H. Smith."

Mind you, after looking though it breifly I decided it wasn't even worth 2 - especially as I'm really strapped for cash at the moment.

Crippledsandwich
28th June 2011, 11:41 PM
Generally the cost of these mags are way over priced for their content. I'm more than likly to have paid out the best part of an E5 over the years

Phaedrus
29th June 2011, 01:50 AM
I bought three photo mags last week - What Digital Camera, Digital Photo, and Outdoor Photography. Cheapest was closer to 7 than 6, and the other two were over 7 each.

I won't buy any again - I get a better read from my wife's disposable mags.

I'm aghast at what they're trying to pull off - in Digital Photo, there's a supplement called The D-SLR User Guide, with all the stuff a beginner needs to know, including a couple of pages on how to hold your camera properly.

There's a photo of a tower ruins, with a tick at top left to show that the camera was held properly, and an enlarged portion in a circle insert to show how sharp & in focus the shot was, and that there was no camera shake.

Below that photo, there's the same photo (the exact same photo - cloud in background in exact same position/shape), but this one has an X at top left, and the enlarged portion in the circle insert is blurred/out of focus, allegedly as a result of poor camera holding technique.

Post-processing of the same shot to give the effect of camera shake. If I, as a hobbyist (albeit with a 30+ year pro photographer father), can spot this, what about cannier readers.

I wonder if the noise comparison shots in a camera test of ISO100 vs ISO200 vs ISO400 etc are even really separate shots? Or if the noise comparison shots in a group test are even really taken by the different cameras in the test?

I just look at the ads pages.

That little Stillnoct pill should be kicking in any ti..... *zzz *zzz *zzz *zzz *zzz

DekHog
29th June 2011, 05:40 AM
Mags are full of repetitive beginner rubbish, and their reviews always end up rating everything in the 70%-80% range - the last few AP's I've bought have only been for the Leica competition tokens, and I've now got the last one I need, so it'll be back to no more mags for me now.

It really bugged me buying AP, as you can read the actual content in about five minutes flat.... but if you're the kind of person that loves page after page of adverts, you'll be sorted until it comes out the week after when you can start price comparing all over again.

yorky
29th June 2011, 09:44 AM
I think A.P. has gone down the nick in this last few years. It is so pro Canon i begin to wonder if they own it?

E-P1 fan
29th June 2011, 10:29 AM
I think A.P. has gone down the nick in this last few years. It is so pro Canon i begin to wonder if they own it?
Yep - I left the forum ages ago because I detected exactly the same

benvendetta
29th June 2011, 12:31 PM
Best bang for your buck IMO is Advanced Photographer. All articles are interesting and they avoid novice stuff, and they have a camera club section - all of which is why I changed my subscription from DSLR User Magazine earlier in the year. This is basically now a mag for novices.

edmund473
29th June 2011, 05:40 PM
I never buy news papers! the only magazine I do buy is the Computer active
12 per year it keeps me up to date with some of the technology. JohnR.

P/S I nearly forgot the one I really look forward to Olympus user.

Benedict
29th June 2011, 06:16 PM
Best bang for your buck IMO is Advanced Photographer. All articles are interesting and they avoid novice stuff, and they have a camera club section.

I agree with Dave,I bought this magazine one month because I had nothing else to read and I have to say that it was a thoroughly refreshing read.

However I do think that all magazines are guilty of repeating themselves over a given time cycle .. after all there is only so much to discuss in photographic terms once you have covered all the usual topics. I had Digital Photo only because my daughter subscribes every Christmas( stocking filler she calls it )
but even I am bored with the content. when you strip out what is not relevant to most competent photographers there is sod all left really - at least nothing that a good photography book couldn't provide for a fraction of the cost.:rolleyes: