PDA

View Full Version : Royal Geographical Society award 2007

senthil
15th April 2008, 06:01 AM
Dear Friends, i am new member from india, this is my first post.

Recently i got a award of "Geographical Photographer of the Year 2007"
by Royal Geographical society, London.

The award winning Picture :

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2415770272_0a16250dbb_o.jpg

Shot by Canon 30d tokina 12mm to 24mm

for this award , Olympus sponsor the E3 camera with 12mm 60mm zuiko lens.

and i got a 12 days free trip to zambia safari.

now i have canon 30d with some good lenses (i donot have tele lens).

at present i am confused , which one should i select for future, Canon ? or Oly ?

in future i would like go to wildlife photography, for this Oly is good choice, because it has inbuild camera IS (5 stops), & 2x ratio ,it's great for wildlife.

But in India Oly doesnot have the good market & service centre, even the 4/3 lenses doesn't available in India.
(i could able to buy the lenses from abroad)

So what should i do ?

How about the quality of Oly E3 Image stabilizer system (for third party lenses like sigma) ?

and iso noise at 400 & 800 (campare to canon 30d)?

Now i am planning to use Oly, till the release of canon 5d mark II

i am expecting your valuable comments...

i like Olympus E3 features........

Thank you,

senthil

blu-by-u
15th April 2008, 08:00 AM
Nice shot you have there.

Not out to polish apples, E-3 do have it's advantage in the 2X sensor factor. Then there is the smaller lenses and weatherproofing. But at low lights, the camera looses out to Full Frame cameras in terms of noise. So you would really have to decide what you have in mind and what is your main area of concern.

j.baker
15th April 2008, 08:03 AM
Firstly, well done.

Both cameras can enable you to take good or sometimes great pictures. Yes there are technical differences between the cameras, but both a good.

I am going out on a limb here, but I would say that getting better glass (lenses) is more important that megapixels on migh medium to highend cameras.

dpreview.com will have various reviews on multiple cameras. Look at the images adn the quality not just the overall score.

Now, the E3 with the pro lenses is wheather sealed. This is a big plus.

At the end of the day, you can get pople opinions (of which there are many), it all comes down to what you like to use. There are no really bad DSLR cameras.

yorky
15th April 2008, 02:41 PM
A very atmospheric shot, typical of Olympus quality I would say. However you do have a problem making your mind up don't you. It's no good hiding the fact that above 800 iso there is a bit more noise than a Nikon et al. Still if you can live with that the picture quality you will have great camera and Oly glass takes a lot of beating and as Blu blu said the lenses are much lighter to carry about.

Paulpp
15th April 2008, 02:49 PM
Congratulations and enjoy Zambia. We were in the Kafue National Park last year - a real wilderness - 80 people in camps in a park the size of Wales - fantastic.

Ellie
16th April 2008, 01:48 PM
All I can say is congratulations on your prize, a super picture.