PDA

View Full Version : I LURVE my E-5

Chevvyf1
28th June 2011, 05:53 PM
I lurve my E-5 so much, I just want to burst ... into song ... BUT it's okay ... I cant sing *yes It is such a pleasure to take it all over the place with me - the weight is never an issue, nor the weight of the lenses because the combination gives just the most AWESOME images !

I am still "In E-5 Training" - I have lots ot learn about ISO and other settings for the SIGMA 150 and the BIGMA but its such fun learning ! Some of the shots I have, when I got the light, lens and setting correct ARE MY BEST ever !

DO I use E-5 much ? well over 7,000 frames in a month ... :eek: (But I had some great outings vis : Hawks Conservancy, Andover; Popham Airfield Vintage cars day; 2 weeks in the Seychelles; Hannington Fair) and just general days here and there ...

The best thing is this camera makes my Lenses even better than they were on the E-1's !

RogerMac
28th June 2011, 06:20 PM
i lurve my e-5 so much, i just want to burst ... Into song ... But it's okay ... I cant sing *yes it is such a pleasure to take it all over the place with me - the weight is never an issue, nor the weight of the lenses because the combination gives just the most awesome images !

I am still "in e-5 training" - i have lots ot learn

^^^^^whs^^^^^^

Danny
28th June 2011, 06:39 PM
Indeed. I agree 100% :)

paullus
29th June 2011, 06:18 PM
I completely agree too.
I've just come back from our annual French hols in the Vendee. My wife with her Nikon D7000 and me with my E5. We took lots of pictures, many of which are pure c**p just for the sake of taking them for practice and being able to edit or delete easily makes this possible. Many however were of the same subject matter and some not, scenery, landscapes, beach, chateaux, wildlife, people etc,etc. I've downloaded them onto the PC, over 1600 shots between us!! We've had a cursory look through and I have to admit I checked out the Nikon results first and they are sharp, exciting, bright and quite frankly wonderful. Until that is we looked at the E5 results. Suddenly the Nikon pics look overexposed and somewhat garish by comparison. The E5 results are more easy on the eye, more natural and quite frankly significantly superior to the Nikon output straight out of the camera.:):):)*chr

Graptolite
29th June 2011, 07:14 PM
I completely agree too.
I've just come back from our annual French hols in the Vendee. My wife with her Nikon D7000 and me with my E5. We took lots of pictures, many of which are pure c**p just for the sake of taking them for practice and being able to edit or delete easily makes this possible. Many however were of the same subject matter and some not, scenery, landscapes, beach, chateaux, wildlife, people etc,etc. I've downloaded them onto the PC, over 1600 shots between us!! We've had a cursory look through and I have to admit I checked out the Nikon results first and they are sharp, exciting, bright and quite frankly wonderful. Until that is we looked at the E5 results. Suddenly the Nikon pics look overexposed and somewhat garish by comparison. The E5 results are more easy on the eye, more natural and quite frankly significantly superior to the Nikon output straight out of the camera.:):):)*chr

I'd be really interested to see the comparison. Would you consider putting some side by side Nikon v E-5 photos on your Flickr site?

adam m lucas
29th June 2011, 07:31 PM
Ditto, E5 is fabulous. Mine's with Olympus at the moment. Just having the lenses calibrated correctly. Missing it already. And yes a comparison between the E5 and the D700 would be interesting.

Adam.

Cathrine Stephansen
29th June 2011, 08:35 PM
What is a Nikon?

Ross the fiddler
30th June 2011, 04:35 AM
What is a Nikon?

I dunno. Maybe it can nik on outa 'ere. :D

Cathrine Stephansen
30th June 2011, 05:48 AM
The E5 won a Tipa award for best DSLR in its class.

theMusicMan
30th June 2011, 06:31 AM
Yep, from the many images I see on here it is clear to me that the E-5 is the way to go for 4/3 users. I promise myself one day I will have one :)

benvendetta
30th June 2011, 12:24 PM
Still too expensive for me!
Undoubtedly a superb camera.............but what will there be with regards to an Oly dSLR to follow it?

Chevvyf1
30th June 2011, 01:02 PM
Dave, I never bought a camera after the E-1 - so my "savings from E-500/510-520 or
E-3 's" went on my E-5 ! and I go out very little (except photography:)

As regards any follow up Oly DSLR's - I am not in the least interested :) HAPPY & CONTENTED with E-5 and my lovverly lenses ! :)

Ross the fiddler
30th June 2011, 01:03 PM
Still too expensive for me!
Undoubtedly a superb camera.............but what will there be with regards to an Oly dSLR to follow it?

A PEN? :confused: :rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
30th June 2011, 01:04 PM
What is a Nikon?

Um! Its is how some Peeps get an E-5 (written by a dyslexic:) ... "they nick one" :D :rolleyes: :D :eek:

benvendetta
30th June 2011, 04:19 PM
A PEN? :confused: :rolleyes:

A PEN? Not a dSLR by any stretch of the imagination. And not for me I am afraid. That is why I will probably bypass the E-5 and buy into full frame sometime in the future.
Won't be Olympus of course but hey ho, there you go. The 5D mk 3 and maybe the D700 successor may well have swivel and tilt screens when they eventually surface, which is one thing I could not live without on a dSLR after using it extensively on my E-3.
But until finances allow I will continue will Oly.

DerekW
30th June 2011, 05:44 PM
Pen - not a dSLR - I beg to differ
d - yes it is digital
S - Single - yes it has one lens
R - Reflex - yes if you add the VF-2 viewfinder you have a view at eye level of what the sensor is seeing.

The use of the mirror in the SLR is only a way of seeing what the lens sees. It is not the be all and end all of the camera - it is only a way to see what the lens sees.

benvendetta
30th June 2011, 10:03 PM
Pen - not a dSLR - I beg to differ
d - yes it is digital
S - Single - yes it has one lens
R - Reflex - yes if you add the VF-2 viewfinder you have a view at eye level of what the sensor is seeing.

The use of the mirror in the SLR is only a way of seeing what the lens sees. It is not the be all and end all of the camera - it is only a way to see what the lens sees.

Sorry, I can't agree that it is a true dSLR. Anyway, it is still not for me I am afraid.

paullus
7th July 2011, 05:36 PM
I'd be really interested to see the comparison. Would you consider putting some side by side Nikon v E-5 photos on your Flickr site?

I've uploaded a few pictures for comparison to my photos. They are all over the place but I've named them numerically as Oly # (taken by me with my E5) and N***n # (Taken by my better but misguided half with her D7000. Sorry if the N word causes offence to some people..LOL) None of the photos have had any post processing other than resizing using FastStone image resizer.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1037

Chevvyf1
7th July 2011, 05:49 PM
Interesting ! I have observed in friends shots with N*'s that the colours tend to be pale vs Oly Vibrant ! It is difficult to see from these shots which captures the better detail, but the foreground sand seems to have more detail in Oly ?

paullus
7th July 2011, 06:19 PM
Interesting ! I have observed in friends shots with N*'s that the colours tend to be pale vs Oly Vibrant ! It is difficult to see from these shots which captures the better detail, but the foreground sand seems to have more detail in Oly ?

The uploads are a small representative sample of what was captured but I do agree. I looked at the N**** shots first and thought oh dear they are nice even though I desperately wanted them not to be. Then I looked at my E5 shots and was reassuringly delighted. I do think the N* shots are sometimes somewhat washed out. Having said that N* greens are quite vivid but Oly blue's are absolutely stunning.
I LURVE my E5.:D

Graptolite
7th July 2011, 07:35 PM
Thank you very much for posting those. If my mind wasn't made up before, it is now. The Nikon shots pale in comparison to the E-5 (Sorry - I'll get my coat...!). Seriously, they do look a bit overexposed (was your wife by any chance using exposure compensation?), and as has been said the Oly colour seems far superior and richer. And I'm not sure that the N* greens are better. In N* 51 for example - the greens really don't look real. The Oly pics seem overall a bit warmer - was the WB preset or on auto?

paullus
8th July 2011, 05:02 AM
Thank you very much for posting those. If my mind wasn't made up before, it is now. The Nikon shots pale in comparison to the E-5 (Sorry - I'll get my coat...!). Seriously, they do look a bit overexposed (was your wife by any chance using exposure compensation?), and as has been said the Oly colour seems far superior and richer. And I'm not sure that the N* greens are better. In N* 51 for example - the greens really don't look real. The Oly pics seem overall a bit warmer - was the WB preset or on auto?

The N* D7000 is my Wife's first DSLR and so she is on a steep learning curve. The camera was generally set to Auto or a scene mode. WB was usually Auto except for the beach shots where it was set to Sunshine.
The E5 is usually in Aperture Priority mode with WB set to the prevailing conditions. Neither camera had any other custom settings applied from standard.

Chevvyf1
8th July 2011, 06:58 AM
Paul I have pm'd you re E-5 IQ