PDA

View Full Version : Minolta MD 100mm F4 macro on E-1??

steverh
14th April 2008, 11:30 AM
I have a Minolta MD 100mm F4 macro which is doing nothing at the moment. It's a lovely lens, it cost me a lot of money a long time ago, and I got some great slides with it.

I'm thinking of getting one of the MD -> Fourthirds adapters from EBay to use it on my E-1.

Has anyone been down this or a similar route and can offer any comments? How about manual focusing?

I lust after a ZD 50mm macro but I don't have the cash burning a hole in my pocket...

Thanks.

DerekW
14th April 2008, 11:42 AM
I have bought one of these adapters and used it with a Minolta Rokkor 300mm f5.6 lens and a Minolta 16mm fisheye on an E-3.

Do they work - yes
The 300mm lens is potentially more useful - it helps to keep alive the old craft skills of manual focus and adjusting the aperture to get the correct exposure so the process becomes very much slower than using the current crop of Olympus lenses.

The fish eye was disappointing in that I did not get the distortion that I was looking for.

On an E-1 with the smaller viewfinder you might find the focusing the 300mm lens a bit of a challenge.

steverh
14th April 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Derek. Sounds like the adapter is worth a try.

I have a few other MD lenses I never quite got round to putting on EBay but the others are zooms so it's only the 100mm that I might use.

It's the focusing that worries me, but AF tends not to be very useful in macro work in my experience.

Who's_E
14th April 2008, 06:42 PM
Steve(?),

I run a couple of Minolta X700 cameras and had a look into using the MD lenses on the E-Series cameras.

You may wish to have a look at:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

If you go to this site they talk about MD with Olympus. Interestingly the E-300/330 cameras don't seem to work well with the adaptor but the E1 is okay.

http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/ has adaptors that may be cheaper than eBay.

Hope this helps,

Nick

steverh
14th April 2008, 07:39 PM
Steve(?),

I run a couple of Minolta X700 cameras and had a look into using the MD lenses on the E-Series cameras.

You may wish to have a look at:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

If you go to this site they talk about MD with Olympus. Interestingly the E-300/330 cameras don't seem to work well with the adaptor but the E1 is okay.

http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/ has adaptors that may be cheaper than eBay.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Thanks Nick for the feedback.

I also have an X-700 - lovely camera, I can't bring myself to put it on EBay so it sits in semi-retirement. I kept it to use with the 100mm MD macro in fact.

The site you mention looks interesting. Their adapter price is about 77 euros in total so maybe a bit more expensive than EBay. Did you actually get round to buying one?

Ian
14th April 2008, 08:41 PM

I also have an X-700 - lovely camera, I can't bring myself to put it on EBay so it sits in semi-retirement. I kept it to use with the 100mm MD macro in fact.

The site you mention looks interesting. Their adapter price is about 77 euros in total so maybe a bit more expensive than EBay. Did you actually get round to buying one?

I used to have an XE-1 - from the pre-Program mode days :) That was a very classy camera.

Ian

Who's_E
14th April 2008, 09:59 PM

Steve,

Dad had an X-700 and it was my first taste of SLRs and I still enjoy using one I bought off eBay the other year on "nostalgia days."

Sorry, I didn't buy an adaptor because I don't have an MD macro so, as you pointed out earlier, the benefits are not so obvious for me. I have thought about it, though, and I also considered the 8mm mentioned earlier but went for the Oly version.

Nick

JohnGG
15th April 2008, 10:15 AM
I also use a legacy manual focus telephoto macro lens, in my case an OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 which is superb. I know it is two stops faster than the Minolta lens but I did a test with it and the E-1 last night when I saw your post. Although the viewfinder was noticeably darker than when wide open, I had no difficulty focussing with the lens set to f/4.0 so, hopefully, you should find the Minolta lens perfectly useable on the E-1. The experiment was done in a room lit by a single tungsten light (probably 60W) focussing on a magazine at about a metre away. In daylight I often find myself focussing at F/4.0 or f/5.6 to save the bother of keep opening up and stopping down.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Fluffy
15th April 2008, 11:34 PM
I have bought one of these adapters and used it with a Minolta Rokkor 300mm f5.6 lens and a Minolta 16mm fisheye on an E-3.

Hi, is the 300/5.6 the very lightweight cadiotropic? I think I must still have one somewhere.

Steve

steverh
15th April 2008, 11:40 PM
I also use a legacy manual focus telephoto macro lens, in my case an OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 which is superb. I know it is two stops faster than the Minolta lens but I did a test with it and the E-1 last night when I saw your post. Although the viewfinder was noticeably darker than when wide open, I had no difficulty focussing with the lens set to f/4.0 so, hopefully, you should find the Minolta lens perfectly useable on the E-1. The experiment was done in a room lit by a single tungsten light (probably 60W) focussing on a magazine at about a metre away. In daylight I often find myself focussing at F/4.0 or f/5.6 to save the bother of keep opening up and stopping down.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Thanks, John. That is really useful!

I think it's worth ordering an adapter, as soon as I get around to it... :)

DerekW
16th April 2008, 08:29 AM
"is the 300/5.6 the very lightweight cadiotropic?"

My 300mm lens is a conventional non mirror lens - but very light compared to the Zuiko lenses.

steverh
16th April 2008, 09:51 AM
"is the 300/5.6 the very lightweight cadiotropic?"

My 300mm lens is a conventional non mirror lens - but very light compared to the Zuiko lenses.

The lightweight cats were 250mm f5.6 (250g) and 500mm f8 (600g).

They also did 800mm f8 and 1600mm f11 but I don't think they were lightweight! The 1600mm was 6.3kg.

Minolta produced some very good lenses. I also have a very nice pair of binoculars: rumour had it they were Leitz designs - there was a very close tie-up at one stage.