PDA

View Full Version : EXIF problems on E-Group Challenge entries

ianc
13th April 2008, 09:20 PM
So far all the entries I have received for the 5th E-Group Challenge have been rejected because they have no EXIF data so here are a few pointers for you.

If you are using Photoshop don't use Save for Web what you need to do is resize the image, Image / Image Size and set the pixels to 800 for the longest dimension. Then you need to use save as, File / Save As and remember to save it under a different name to stop you overwriting the original image.

If you are exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop do not tick the minimize meta data button.

If you are using a Mac and have Mail set to include the picture in the message this can also strip the EXIF data. You need to put the picture in a folder and attach the folder to be sure of preserving the EXIF file.

If any other members have any hints please add them to the thread.

Ian C.

Ian
13th April 2008, 11:25 PM
If anyone has continuing problems with exif data, I'd like to volunteer to help - please get in touch :)

Ian

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 01:31 PM
So far all the entries I have received for the 5th E-Group Challenge have been rejected because they have no EXIF data so here are a few pointers for you.

If you are using Photoshop don't use Save for Web what you need to do is resize the image, Image / Image Size and set the pixels to 800 for the longest dimension. Then you need to use save as, File / Save As and remember to save it under a different name to stop you overwriting the original image.

If you are exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop do not tick the minimize meta data button.

If you are using a Mac and have Mail set to include the picture in the message this can also strip the EXIF data. You need to put the picture in a folder and attach the folder to be sure of preserving the EXIF file.

If any other members have any hints please add them to the thread.

Ian C.

I'm pleased this thread has been started as I am hopeful that a fellow Elements 5 user can explain to me/others how to save an image of say 800 on the longest side and approx 200Kb please as the suggestions above don't work.

Regards. Barr1e

OlyPaul
14th April 2008, 02:42 PM
I'm pleased this thread has been started as I am hopeful that a fellow Elements 5 user can explain to me/others how to save an image of say 800 on the longest side and approx 200Kb please as the suggestions above don't work.

Regards. Barr1e

Barrie,

Image > Resize>Image Resize.

Now in this order

1- make sure the constrain proportions and Resize box are ticked.

2-Change the resolution to 72ppi.

3- under pixel dimensions change the width to 800 pixels.

4- Ok it and save under a different name, by moving the slider in the save box it alters the size (kb) of the file and displays the new size after you move it before saving.

Ian
14th April 2008, 03:22 PM

Regards. Barr1e

I think I have Elements 5 here - maybe it's a peculiarity of that version? Actually on version 6 now.

Ian

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 04:06 PM
Barrie,

Image > Resize>Image Resize.

Now in this order

1- make sure the constrain proportions and Resize box are ticked.

2-Change the resolution to 72ppi.

3- under pixel dimensions change the width to 800 pixels.

4- Ok it and save under a different name, by moving the slider in the save box it alters the size (kb) of the file and displays the new size after you move it before saving.

Thanks Paul -

I have tried every which way over such a period of time that I have not only lost most of my hair, what's left has gone grey.

When carrying out your suggestion (which as I have said I have tried in the past) one is left with an image of 720 on the long side and an image of 454Kb.

As Ian has said it is a possibly a peculiarity to Elements 5.

Regards. Barr1e

steverh
14th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Barr1e - if it's any consolation (not a lot I suspect!), I could never get Elements to resize sensibly when I played with it.

I just tried it in IrfanView - works a treat as far as I can tell. Choose Resize/Resample on the Image menu. Set the width to 800 pixels and make sure "Preserve Aspect Ratio" is ticked. When it's the size you want, select "Save As" and save as a JPG. You will have to adjust the quality slider in the dialog. Sadly it doesn't tell you how big the saved JPG file will be, so you may have to experiment and save it a few times until it's about right.

EXIF info is preserved by default. :)

And it's free! *chr If you don't have it already, see http://www.irfanview.net/

HTH

shenstone
14th April 2008, 05:56 PM
Faststone (also free) provides the "resize based on longest size" Also it's free like Irvanview. Also it doesn't b****er about with EXIF like a certain software vendor's product

Paintshop pro provides reliable resizing and doesn't mess with your EXIF other than adding the software tag.

Imatch pro provides reliable resizing and doesn't mess with your EXIF at all.

In other words IMHO stop trying to work around the limitations and find another software vendor - why do they think they know best - I like software that does as it's told - not the other way around !

Regards
Andy

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 06:28 PM
Barr1e - if it's any consolation (not a lot I suspect!), I could never get Elements to resize sensibly when I played with it.

I just tried it in IrfanView - works a treat as far as I can tell. Choose Resize/Resample on the Image menu. Set the width to 800 pixels and make sure "Preserve Aspect Ratio" is ticked. When it's the size you want, select "Save As" and save as a JPG. You will have to adjust the quality slider in the dialog. Sadly it doesn't tell you how big the saved JPG file will be, so you may have to experiment and save it a few times until it's about right.

EXIF info is preserved by default. :)

And it's free! *chr If you don't have it already, see http://www.irfanview.net/

HTH

Thanks Steve -

I have looked at Irfanview some time back - maybe I'll look again. I've asked Anne to buy me a Euro lottery ticket and if I win the 45m this week I'll buy Adobe and get somene to fix the program. *yes

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 06:35 PM
Faststone (also free) provides the "resize based on longest size" Also it's free like Irvanview. Also it doesn't b****er about with EXIF like a certain software vendor's product

Paintshop pro provides reliable resizing and doesn't mess with your EXIF other than adding the software tag.

Imatch pro provides reliable resizing and doesn't mess with your EXIF at all.

In other words IMHO stop trying to work around the limitations and find another software vendor - why do they think they know best - I like software that does as it's told - not the other way around !

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy -

Thanks, It's surprising but I do like Elements 5. I suppose I find it uncrowded and possibly got so used to going through a certain routine to get my pix to pop I have got lazy - coupled with the fact CS3 is so expensive. I would rather upgrade to the E-3 first before spending on the ultimate p+p ware.

However, I agree with what you are saying.

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko
14th April 2008, 08:33 PM
Hi Andy -

Thanks, It's surprising but I do like Elements 5. I suppose I find it uncrowded and possibly got so used to going through a certain routine to get my pix to pop I have got lazy - coupled with the fact CS3 is so expensive. I would rather upgrade to the E-3 first before spending on the ultimate p+p ware.

However, I agree with what you are saying.

Regards. Barr1e

Hi Barrie,

Although I now use Elements 6, I still have Elements 5 on my computer so I've resized following exactly the instructions given by Paul S. If successful, you should see the following image (taken last week in Norfolk) sized at 800 x 600 pixels at 72 pixels per inch, hopefully with the Exif data intact. This was from a full frame uncropped SHQ jpeg.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/NORFOLK_009_r.jpg

Now, let's see if it's worked!

Regards,

John

Ian
14th April 2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Barrie,

Although I now use Elements 6, I still have Elements 5 on my computer so I've resized following exactly the instructions given by Paul S. If successful, you should see the following image (taken last week in Norfolk) sized at 800 x 600 pixels at 72 pixels per inch, hopefully with the Exif data intact. This was from a full frame uncropped SHQ jpeg.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/NORFOLK_009_r.jpg

Now, let's see if it's worked!

Regards,

John

Yes, everything is normal, including the exif data.

So one can only presume that there is a setting in Barr1e's installation of Elements 5 which is messing with the exif retention...

Ian

Zuiko
14th April 2008, 08:39 PM
Well, the image size is O.K. @ 800 x 600 pixels, but right clicking on the image and selecting "properties" reveals precious little additional info; the Exif seems to have been lost in the process. I'm now going to try the same with Elements 6.

John.

Zuiko
14th April 2008, 08:45 PM

So one can only presume that there is a setting in Barr1e's installation of Elements 5 which is messing with the exif retention...

Ian

Hi Ian,

How did you check the Exif data, I couldn't seem to get it to display?

Thanks,

John

Ian
14th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks,

John

It's in Phil's gallery. Click on the exif icon and the exif data shows up below :)

Ian

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks,

John

Hi John -

I hope you had a good break - I like the pic.

I can of course carry out reducing the image size etc as I have explained earlier in the thread - but like your downsized pic you have not reduced it to be able to submit in any of the challenges ie approx 200Kb. If you check your pic it is 800X600 - however it is 479Kb.

Thanks for giving Elements 5 a go on my behalf.

Is the difference between Elements 5 + 6 worth the upgrade?

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 09:00 PM

Ian

Ian - not a problem here as I can do exactly the same as John - the problem lies in the size of the file for uploading to the site.

I told John I liked his pic - but I can tell you I think it is a great shot.;);)

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 09:17 PM
Here is an image reduced in Elements 5 to be in the boundaries of approx 200Kb.

....................http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/hhh.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4643)

It is in fact 237Kb - however to get it to that size it reduces the pic to 450X360.
[Edit: The exif info has been retained - the only time exif info is lost is when one uses the save for web utility.]

Regards. Barr1e

ps I think we should now let this item drop before we all lose our hair.:D

*chr Thanks eveyone. *chr

Zuiko
14th April 2008, 09:34 PM
Ian - not a problem here as I can do exactly the same as John - the problem lies in the size of the file for uploading to the site.

I told John I liked his pic - but I can tell you I think it is a great shot.;);)

Regards. Barr1e

Hi Barrie,

I think I've cracked it, and learnt something in the process, too.

After you click on "Save As" a jpeg options box appears with the quality level defaulted to "12 Maximum." I've just resized the same image and when this box appeared I altered the jpeg quality settings to "6 Medium." This has reduced the file size to 133kb but retained the dimensions of 800 x 600 pixels at 72ppi. It seems that we were resizing correctly but not compressing the jpeg file enough. 133 kb still leaves room for a little extra quality within the 200kb limit. Trial and error may result in an optimum quality setting of around "7" although each image will of course vary slightly depending on how much detail is in the scene.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the kind comments about my picture.

As regards the differences between Elements 5 and 6, I find the larger preview boxes in the convert to black and white option a real boon and the new "Adjust Sharpness" feature is easier to use and sometimes gives a better result than Unsharp Mask. Other than that, there's very little difference, at least amongst the facilities of the program that I use.

John

Barr1e
14th April 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Barrie,

I think I've cracked it, and learnt something in the process, too.

After you click on "Save As" a jpeg options box appears with the quality level defaulted to "12 Maximum." I've just resized the same image and when this box appeared I altered the jpeg quality settings to "6 Medium." This has reduced the file size to 133kb but retained the dimensions of 800 x 600 pixels at 72ppi. It seems that we were resizing correctly but not compressing the jpeg file enough. 133 kb still leaves room for a little extra quality within the 200kb limit. Trial and error may result in an optimum quality setting of around "7" although each image will of course vary slightly depending on how much detail is in the scene.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the kind comments about my picture.

As regards the differences between Elements 5 and 6, I find the larger preview boxes in the convert to black and white option a real boon and the new "Adjust Sharpness" feature is easier to use and sometimes gives a better result than Unsharp Mask. Other than that, there's very little difference, at least amongst the facilities of the program that I use.

John

By George he's got it!

Thank you John.

Also thanks for the comments regarging Elements 6.

Regards. Barr1e

Ian
14th April 2008, 09:45 PM
By George he's got it!

Thank you John.

Regards. Barr1e

Hurrah! Well and truly cracked :D

Ian

Zuiko
14th April 2008, 09:47 PM
By George he's got it!

Thank you John.

Regards. Barr1e

Glad I could help, Barrie.:)

In the process I've learnt quite a bit about Exif data (thanks Ian) and Jpeg compression, two aspects that I didn't fully understand. That's the great thing about this forum, we help each other and learn more ourselves at the same time. *chr

John