PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Which bag?

crimbo
25th June 2011, 02:58 PM
I am sure that like some on this forum I have more bags than camera bodies...but i think I need another one!

E620 x2 with 12-60 on one and 50-200 on another and a laptop ...and all the trimmings but i want to take it on an small aircraft!

suggestions please

jchallen
25th June 2011, 03:07 PM
If shouder bags are your thing, then I can suggest the Lowe Pro stealth reporter ones.

I have used the D400 sized one for two cameras (E3 with 50-200 & E30 with 12-60, both with battery grips) and although tight it does fit and there was enough room to squeze in an FL50, a small camcorder, an iPad and spare batteries cards etc. Although this size is not mentioned as a laptop one (the larger ones have a dedicated padded laptop compartment) I can fit my Dell D430 (12.1") laptop in.

One word of warning it does get heavy carrying it around all day!

David M
25th June 2011, 04:38 PM
One of the Tenba Messenger bags?

http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Messenger-Bags.aspx

yorky
25th June 2011, 05:40 PM
Take a look at the Kata range. They are really superbly made and top quality.

catkins
25th June 2011, 05:55 PM
I use a Hama Defender 200 series bag - very good value and excellent spec, plenty of space plus easy to use with top zip for quick access, plenty of pockets, clips, shoulder & hand carrying straps, etc., etc. There is a good range of bag sizes, (width, height, depth) so you should be able to find a good offer for the size that would suit you best. I'm very impressed with the detailing and the value of the Defender range.
I also use a LowePro Stealth Reporter D100 for smaller demands and again although this would be too small for your needs, others in the Stealth product range may suit.
Regards
Chris

Jezzer
25th June 2011, 06:55 PM
I've got a Kata 3N1-30 Sling Backpack which I use to keep most of my DSLR equipment in at home and transport it around in. Very impressed with the quality and versatility of the bag, you can also use it in many ways with instant access etc. I've also got an external tripod strap for it.

Regards

E-P1 fan
25th June 2011, 08:17 PM
t i want to take it on an small aircraft!

suggestions please

forget camera bags - stick it all in a pilot case *chr

Phaedrus
26th June 2011, 12:23 AM
I'm on the hunt for the perfect bag for my needs too. Couple of things I'm realising:

There is no perfect bag, no matter how many manufacturers I view.

Some have a lot of the features I want/need, some have most, none have all. Some of the ones with most of the features I want lack a "need" feature.

I'm glad I'm not in a hurry - I'd hate to come across a more suitable bag after I'd bought what I thought was the most suitable...

I've been using a Tamrac Adventure 6 for about three years. It's extremely well made - material, zippers, straps, buckles are all literally as if the bag was new. There's scuffing on the base where it's been set down on all sorts of ground - concrete, tarmac, stones/rocks, sand, grass. It's very well made, and I'd assume other Tamrac bags are equally well made.

Whether they have a bag that ticks all your boxes is up to you to figure out. I'm sure most other bigger brands produce equally well-made bags, and are just as worth a look, but I simply like Tamrac.

I'd very much prefer my next bag to be a Tamrac, but if I found bag from another manufacturer that better suited my wants/needs now, I would consider it.

Except LowePro - there's no reason other than capitalist greed for their bags to cost so much. :eek: I'd use a Tesco bag first*.

Mark

* I wouldn't really.

crimbo
26th June 2011, 07:15 AM
forget camera bags - stick it all in a pilot case *chr

Yes...thank you for that diversion...now to find one that will go in the hold of a small aircraft and will survive the baggage handlers drop...

DerekW
26th June 2011, 09:38 AM
If the bag is to go in the hold (which was not in your original spec) you need to look at a fitted Peli case. Plus you will need a bag to take the kit with you during the day - so perhaps a Lowepro Slingshot 2 or 3

Avoid bags that sit on one shoulder and cause you to have to hunch up one shoulder to compensate for the weight. I found that shoulder bags for cameras and laptop computers significantly contributed to me needing 6 screws and two rods being attached into my lower spine.

David M
26th June 2011, 10:00 AM
If the bag is to go in the hold (which was not in your original spec) you need to look at a fitted Peli case. Plus you will need a bag to take the kit with you during the day - so perhaps a Lowepro Slingshot 2 or 3

Agree with the Pelican case if the bags to go in the hold.

crimbo
26th June 2011, 10:50 AM
sorry for the diversion
My original idea was for a bag that I could carry on but with the suggestion of a pilot case I thought cameras in the hold and clothes etc as carry on...OTOH if my clothes disappeared in transit I would be unhappy but if my cameras disappeared :eek:
So back to plan A...carry on to a small aircraft... basically Loganair say 'weigh under 6 kilos, and not exceed dimensions of 40cm x 35cm x 18cm '
Now I have not had problems -so far- with the 6kg limit but size is the real issue...

Andrew Riddell
26th June 2011, 11:06 AM
Another suggestion, Chris. You might look at the Think Tank Urban Disguise and Retrospective ranges.

Andrew