PDA

View Full Version : Olympus 11-22 WA lens

IPWheatley
22nd June 2011, 07:40 AM
Considering getting one of these, 450 mint and boxed, and was wondering what other members thoughts are re performance, sharpness etc. Also is it too close to the 14-54 which I have or what? Your views would be very welcome before I shell out my hard earned cash, regards, Ian W.

Pensionista
22nd June 2011, 08:12 AM
I've had one of these for a while now and after initially fearing that I'd bought a lens I wouldn't use, I've come to respect it more and more. I also have the 14-54 but the sheer freedom you get from the extra 'width' is liberating for landscape and interiors. There is a little wide-angle distortion at the edges at 11mm and you have to make sure your verticals are vertical (both of which come with the territory with this type of lens). Mine is sharp and beautifully smooth in operation. Obviously being high grade Oly, it's not small or light and it takes a 72mm filter.

snaarman
22nd June 2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, another 11-22 convert here. The look and feel are exactly the same as the 14-54. Smooth and pleasing to hold and use. The wide end is just right for interiors and big big skies. It also goes in quite close for stretched perspective shots.

There is a bit of overlap between the 11-22 and the 14-54, so I tend to pair the wide with a 40-150 or a 70-300 if I am on a 2 lens strategy.

If you want really wide then there is the 9-18 - but I guess that doesn't have the pro grade advantages.

Pete

Ian
22nd June 2011, 09:13 AM
It's a very versatile lens because it goes near to ultra-wide and yet it covers the medium and standard lens areas - it's a great walk about lens and it's a very high performer optically. Dust and moisture sealed too.

Ian

Wreckdiver
22nd June 2011, 09:16 AM
It's my number one lens for all landscape shots. I love it.

Steve

Kiwi Paul
22nd June 2011, 09:21 AM
You could also consider getting the 12-60, you should be able to pick up a second hand one for around 500ish, the 7-14 is another alternative but they sell second hand around 800ish.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
22nd June 2011, 09:22 AM
Steve out of curiosity why do you prefer it to the 12-60 for landscapes?

Paul

jamie allan
22nd June 2011, 10:11 AM
Considering getting one of these, 450 mint and boxed, and was wondering what other members thoughts are re performance, sharpness etc. Also is it too close to the 14-54 which I have or what? Your views would be very welcome before I shell out my hard earned cash, regards, Ian W.

Ian,

You might be interested in this http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/olympus-zuiko-11-22-wide-angle-lens/82390103

theMusicMan
22nd June 2011, 11:34 AM
I have been using my 11-22mm a little more this last few months as I have an issue with my beloved 7-14mm. I must admit... the 11-22 is a stellar performer and I am really enjoying using it.

Wreckdiver
22nd June 2011, 11:36 AM
Steve out of curiosity why do you prefer it to the 12-60 for landscapes?

Paul

Although there is only 1mm difference in the focal length at the wide end there is a 5 degree difference in angle of view. As I have both lenses I usually have both of them in my bag if I am doing landscape work, so the 11-22mm is the natural one to use. I don't find the distortion too great at the wide end. The 7-14mm is a different beast though, you have to be very careful with any verticals in the frame. I use my 7-14mm mainly underwater as there aren't any verticals down there ;)

Steve

CallaWolf
22nd June 2011, 12:09 PM
Just a word about the 9-18

Despite it not being a 'Pro' lens, the extra 3mm it offers over my 12-60 makes a huge difference when I'm looking for width. I may not be able to use it in all weathers, and it may not be as fast as its big brothers, but I think that's a small price to pay for its range and diminutive size/weight. And it's kind on the wallet

stevednp3
22nd June 2011, 01:05 PM
Just a word about the 9-18

Despite it not being a 'Pro' lens, the extra 3mm it offers over my 12-60 makes a huge difference when I'm looking for width. I may not be able to use it in all weathers, and it may not be as fast as its big brothers, but I think that's a small price to pay for its range and diminutive size/weight. And it's kind on the wallet

I have been thinking about getting the 9-18 myself, but have been wondering if the 3mm is a major difference, thanks for the info, will start looking for a 2nd hand one *chr

IPWheatley
22nd June 2011, 05:49 PM
Thats a resounding YES then if ever I heard one so I guess I had better clinch the deal. Many thanks to all who took the trouble to answer my thread, regards, Ian W.

Bobpatchcott
22nd June 2011, 06:01 PM

The 11-22 was the first none standard lens I purchased for use with my E-1 some time ago, even though I now have quite a few in my kit it remains my most used lens.*chr
regards Bob