PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experienced any focus issues with the 7-14mm

theMusicMan
20th June 2011, 05:02 PM
Hi All

I consider myself very lucky to own the wonderful Oly 7-14mm lens, and I absolutely love it. However, over the last year there seems to have been an issue that has now got worse. Simply put, focus at 7mm is awful - regardless of aperture. I first noticed it this time last year, but things seemed to get a little better however now... well I am quite the concerned owner!

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

At 14mm the images look fine, but when used at the widest setting they are significantly out of focus.

I may have to send it in to Oly for repair.

Ian - I may be in touch for a hire of one of these for my trip to the USA (and possibly Sharm el Sheikh, too!)

Zuiko
20th June 2011, 05:07 PM
Must be something major for focus to be bad at 7mm, DOF would cover any small error. Sounds like your lens needs a holiday itself, to Olympus.

With your Death Valley trip comming up, thank goodness for the hire service!

Graham_of_Rainham
20th June 2011, 05:27 PM
John,

Not good news, I'm afraid... My one is working exactly as you would expect. While it's not the fastest, it consistently finds focus wherever I set the focus point.

I was using it on my E-PL1 the other day and while slower still, still locks on and does what it's supposed to.

I take it you have tried all the obvious things, but have you tried exercising it in C-AF mode and moving back & forwards.

Good luck, it's not something I'd like to be without.

theMusicMan
20th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Yep John and Graham... looks like there's something amiss with it. I'll look to sending it back for repair.

David M
20th June 2011, 08:59 PM
I seem to think I've read about this problem before but haven't experienced it with my sample.

Bikie John
20th June 2011, 10:08 PM
John (MM) - you say that focus is awful at 7mm. is it consistently awful? Can you tell whether some of the image is in focus and if so, whether it is nearer or further than it should be?

I vaguely remember that while short focal lengths have good depth of field, the depth of focus was correspindingly shorter - the depth of focus referring to tolerance in the position of the film/sensor relative to the lens rather than the subject in front. I had an OM4 film body once that seemed to behave inconsistently - it seemed to focus fine with long lenses but was always a bit off with wide-angles. I never got it repaired so I don't know whether this was the real explanation or not. Maybe your body is showing similar behaviour.

Good luck with it, whatever the explanation!

Ciao ... John

Ian
21st June 2011, 07:14 AM
John (MM) - you say that focus is awful at 7mm. is it consistently awful? Can you tell whether some of the image is in focus and if so, whether it is nearer or further than it should be?

I vaguely remember that while short focal lengths have good depth of field, the depth of focus was correspindingly shorter - the depth of focus referring to tolerance in the position of the film/sensor relative to the lens rather than the subject in front. I had an OM4 film body once that seemed to behave inconsistently - it seemed to focus fine with long lenses but was always a bit off with wide-angles. I never got it repaired so I don't know whether this was the real explanation or not. Maybe your body is showing similar behaviour.

Good luck with it, whatever the explanation!

Ciao ... John

If this is ths case, John should try the lens on another body to eliminate the possibility of a body-specific problem.

Ian

theMusicMan
21st June 2011, 07:27 AM
Yep - spot on John and Ian.

I haven't tried the lens on my E-510, but I will do so this evening. I shall try to pop up some sample shots with the same image at 7mm, 14mm on the E-3, then the same images at 7mm and 14mm on the E-510. in fact, I'll try a few.

Thanks, good suggestion.

Ian - you may remember me calling you around this time last year asking for your advice on this - I was in Devon and called you from my hotel room...? The problem seemed to simply go away, and I put it down to randomness and a glitch... but over the last few months I have noticed it there all the time... :(