PDA

View Full Version : Light weight tripod alternative

ashonen
19th June 2011, 04:46 PM
hi

I have just seen this alternative for a light weight tripod and it looks good from 7dayshop

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=111805&r=20110610

ashonen
19th June 2011, 09:58 PM
:D yes it was tong in cheek i may thread a length of string from my tripod head quick release shoe and see if there are any benefits :)

francois
20th June 2011, 12:44 AM
It could be an interesting tool to get steady shots with a light kit, but I don't see myself being able to hold my E-3 + grip + 50-200 as you need to kind of lift the camera so the cable is taught.

Ian
20th June 2011, 07:04 AM
According to the demo video a bonus of the product is the ability to video through lens caps :)

It does look like an interesting product though.

Ian

Tordan58
20th June 2011, 07:19 AM
If it performs in par with a monopod, I guess it gives a benefit of 1, perhaps 2 EVs compared to hand held.

But as a substitute for tripod - no.

/Tord

snaarman
20th June 2011, 07:29 AM
I did so want this to work! I made my own to try it last light, using a tripod base and some string. I thought I would do it properly - so I got out my Manfrotto base. I also used Good String.

I tested it with the 70-300 at 1/50 second. Unfortunately, there was no benefit to the tight string method.

Sigh..

Pete

Tordan58
20th June 2011, 07:54 AM
After giving it a second thought...

A string is essentially an inverted pendulum and has neglectable torsion. Although it will strongly reduce the camera vertical shake and somewhat mitigate the horizontal shake it will not reduce the camera rotation at all.

I doubt it provides substantial benefits.

/Tord

cinders
20th June 2011, 12:49 PM
..but it looks so convincing !!!!!
:rolleyes:

Ian
20th June 2011, 01:15 PM
After giving it a second thought...

A string is essentially an inverted pendulum and has neglectable torsion. Although it will strongly reduce the camera vertical shake and somewhat mitigate the horizontal shake it will not reduce the camera rotation at all.

I doubt it provides substantial benefits.

/Tord

Well, when using a long lens with a tripod bracket on a monopod, I often loosen the bracket to allow rotation. I think this gadget has some value, but not for big cameras and lenses.

Ian