PDA

View Full Version : Memory Cards

weecountyman
16th June 2011, 06:35 PM
Now that I've got an E520 - any opinions on memory cards ?

Is xD card better than Compact Flash, vice versa, or no difference ?

Our holiday hand luggage "point n' shoot" Olympus mju800 uses xD cards, so that's what I'm used to.

Benedict
16th June 2011, 06:49 PM
Not sure ,but when I had my E510 I was told that XD cards were for panorama use only. Personally I always used CF with no significant problems.

meach
16th June 2011, 07:11 PM
Not sure ,but when I had my E510 I was told that XD cards were for panorama use only. Personally I always used CF with no significant problems.

That's not quite true - if you want to use the panoramic function in Olympus software then you can only do so on Olympus branded XD cards. XD cards can be used just like CF cards however the maximum size is 2Gb so most people who do use them (and I don't think that's many) only do so as backup to the main CF card. I'm not sure exactly how the two formats compare performance wise but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly.

Benedict
16th June 2011, 07:16 PM
Well Paul you learn something new every day. Sorry if I mislead the original threader.

Thanks for the additional info.

Janet
16th June 2011, 07:20 PM
I have an e520 and I use nothing but a couple of CF cards...well, I say I use a couple, but I've only ever used one...the other is there, ready and waiting as a backup but haven't needed it yet.

I use a Hama 8Gb CF card...I've only ever managed to fill it once...

Janet

Stephen
17th June 2011, 04:29 AM
I have a 2gb xd card and an 8gb sandisc ultra CF card, I tend to use the CF card because the read and write speed is a good deal quicker than the xd, its good to keep both in the camera though, just in case.

son of sid
17th June 2011, 05:42 AM
xd cards are dog slow on my 510/420 and also quite expensive for their capacity. Stick to CF for everything except the panoramic option would be my advice.

Sid

Ian
17th June 2011, 07:44 AM
Yes, stick to CF cards, although there is no need to invest in super-fast rated UDMA types. 133x or SanDisk Extreme III are ideal.

Ian

jchallen
17th June 2011, 08:31 AM
Yes, stick to CF cards, although there is no need to invest in super-fast rated UDMA types. 133x or SanDisk Extreme III are ideal.

Ian

Although I have found the the UDMA ones are a real boon when it comes to downloading a full 8th card to the computer :)

( just as long as you have a UDMA reader too)

weecountyman
17th June 2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks folks.

Barkly
17th June 2011, 08:35 AM
I use two CF cards (8 and 16 gig) - fast versions including for panos because I stitch them and manipulate them in PS - I keep my 2 gig XD card in the slot in my E620 as a back up.

It is very slow.

Wee man
17th June 2011, 09:54 AM
Have to agree the XD now seem so slow when you use CF cards. I keep the XD on board for that day when I download the card and leave it in the computer without checking before I nip out for a quick shot.

weecountyman
17th June 2011, 10:03 AM
Incidentally, I've never used a card reader, always downloaded directly from the camera.

Maybe I should try one ?

Wee man
17th June 2011, 10:17 AM
Bit like the UV filter argument; I have a friend who would never use a card reader only cable to computer as he has had problems in the past. I tend to use the reader all the time, but have forgotten to replace the card in the camera. I now have spare cards in every bag, but this does not save me on the day I pick up the camera and head out for quick shots. I do not have to worry about the camera battery level when using the reader either.

Tordan58
17th June 2011, 10:25 AM
Hi

XD cards are of proprietary nature (Olympus and Fujifilm). XD cards are obsolescent since 2010. There is no reason for using XD cards today, if your camera supports SD or CF. Exceptions are if you want to use the Olympus panoramic mode(*), or if you would like a backup storage media.

XD limitions in short:

2GB upper storage limit
3.75/6 Mbyte/s W/R speed. C.f. with for instance a 133x SD or CF card (20/20 MByte/s)
Less widely accepted
More expensive then SD & CF

(*) The panoramic mode is enabled only if the card presents itself to the camera as an Olympus XD card. Cards of other make will disable the feature. This could be seen as a vendor lock-in

DJMC
17th June 2011, 10:31 AM
:)

I bought this CF & XD card reader off Ebay for 2.93 delivered:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280641482800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Seems to work very well and comes with a USB cable.

Reads all sorts of other cards too!

;)

Ian
17th June 2011, 11:02 AM
Although I have found the the UDMA ones are a real boon when it comes to downloading a full 8th card to the computer :)

( just as long as you have a UDMA reader too)

Good point. The importance of the reader and how it is connected needs to be explained. USB 2.0 is simply not fast enough to really benefit from these fast cards. You need FireWire 800 and even then that's not unleashing the full potential. ExpressCard interfaces are good, and USB 3, and eSata - if you can get compatible readers, are the best.

Ian

DJMC
17th June 2011, 11:10 AM
Good point. The importance of the reader and how it is connected needs to be explained. USB 2.0 is simply not fast enough to really benefit from these fast cards. You need FireWire 800 and even then that's not unleashing the full potential. ExpressCard interfaces are good, and USB 3, and eSata - if you can get compatible readers, are the best.

Ian

Maybe this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-3-0-2-0-HighSpeed-UDMA-Compact-Flash-Card-CF-Reader-/180681879549?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item2a117aaffd

I must admit to being completely ignorant regarding card speeds. Is there a thread here which explains it all? Or elsewhere?

:confused:

son of sid
17th June 2011, 02:37 PM
Interesting article here on Card writing speeds on Olympus camera's.

http://wrotniak.net/photo/43/card.html

Sid

francois
17th June 2011, 03:00 PM
The importance of the reader and how it is connected needs to be explained...

And even USB 2.0 readers are not all giving the same speed.

I had a USB 2.0 reader, one of those cheap Chinese no brand thingies you get on eBay for under 5 postage included. Then I bought the Belkin model here:

http://www.djavu.com.au/pictures/Belkin_F4U003ng_2.jpg

Once it arrived, I tested both my readers to see whether there was any transfer speed differences once connected to the PC. I tried with a CF card, a MMC card and a SDHC card.

In all cases, the Belkin proved to be faster, and by quite a margin. We're talking about 30% transfer speed increase or so.

So like most things in life, you have to pay more for quality.

weecountyman
17th June 2011, 03:22 PM
What sort of price is the Belkin ?

DJMC
17th June 2011, 03:35 PM
What sort of price is the Belkin ?

A tenner.

Google: F4U003NG

Amazon 9.99 delivered - click on '28 new' when you've found the reader there.

How about this one too? - Clicky: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-Dual-Slot-Reader/dp/B004P8J1DU/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1308325352&sr=1-6

BUT... you need a USB 3 computer port to get the speed advantage!

;)

francois
17th June 2011, 03:37 PM
The original price was 25. You can find them for 15 now, and even less used or on eBay.

weecountyman
17th June 2011, 04:02 PM
Play.com associate showing same for 9.10.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7738966/Belkin-F4U003NG-USB-2-0-Universal-Media-Reader-Black/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=1

DJMC
17th June 2011, 04:06 PM
Play.com associate showing same for 9.10.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7738966/Belkin-F4U003NG-USB-2-0-Universal-Media-Reader-Black/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=1

Same seller as Amazon, but cheaper, well done!

;)

weecountyman
17th June 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks to your Google reference it was a piece of cake - first hit was Play.com !!!