PDA

View Full Version : Whit friday marches

Janet
16th June 2011, 05:53 PM
Not a meet as such, but a heads up for anyone in the North West who may be at a loose end tomorrow afternoon and evening and fancies a slightly different photo opportunity...

http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/intro.html

Over 100 brass bands dashing around from village to village, playing a march and a set piece in each one...sounds like a recipe for mayhem! If anyone has seen the film "Brassed Off", you'll know what it's all about!

I'll be there with Nelson Brass!

Janet

Zuiko
16th June 2011, 06:25 PM
Not a meet as such, but a heads up for anyone in the North West who may be at a loose end tomorrow afternoon and evening and fancies a slightly different photo opportunity...

http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/intro.html

Over 100 brass bands dashing around from village to village, playing a march and a set piece in each one...sounds like a recipe for mayhem! If anyone has seen the film "Brassed Off", you'll know what it's all about!

I'll be there with Nelson Brass!

Janet

Ooohh, I wish I lived closer, that looks to be an excellent event - and not just for the photo opportunities, although there are bound to be plenty of those!

Have fun, I look forward to seeing the pictures. :)

theMusicMan
16th June 2011, 09:39 PM
I have taken part in these on many an occasion. One year, we put together a team of 25 players all from my www site - never played together before, some had never even met in person, and we did a great job.

I had a marched commissioned by a well known brass band composer (Darrol Barry) and we called it 'theMouthPiece' - very difficult, but a super little traditional march. Went down very well when we played it.

For anyone who goes along... it really is a superb occasion and well worth the photo opportunities it presents.

Janet
17th June 2011, 07:57 AM
Here's the plan for Nelson Brass with postcodes for anyone who might be thinking of attending.

The ones in brackets may be missed, depending on time. We'll be arriving at the first venue at about 3.45, but I'm not sure of the exact start time of the contests yet.

Audenshaw Aldwinians RUFC M34 5SN
Droylsden Bush Inn M34 7HL
Broadoak OL6 8QD
Hurst Village Ashton United FC OL6 8DY
(Upper Mossley OL5 0ES)
Heyrod SK15 3BW
Carrbrook SK15 3NY
Stalybridge Celtic FC SK15 2RT
(Stalybridge Labour Club SK15 2JR)
Dukinfield Tame Valley Hotel SK16 5LX
Denton CC M34 3PB

If anyone decides to pop along, please say hi!

Janet

Janet
18th June 2011, 11:16 PM
Well we made it!

We managed to play in nine different venues, finally arriving home at about 1.30 yesterday morning.

An absolutely fabulous day!

I'll post some photos later when I've recovered...

Janet

Zuiko
18th June 2011, 11:29 PM
Glad you had a great day, Janet, and I look forward to seeing the pictures. :)