PDA

View Full Version : Preserving EXIF data in images...

theMusicMan
11th April 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi All

I seem to be having some trouble preserving the EXIF data in my images. My workflow is E-3 -> Lightroom - > Adobe Photoshop

Can someone let me know what I need to do to preserve the EXIF data when I want to display an image on the web, especially when using these applications.

Thanks.

John

andym
11th April 2008, 02:19 PM
John

Are you using save for web on Photoshop????I belive this removes EXIF data.
I develop my Raws with Silkypix which give you the options of Exif and non Exif jpegs.
I then use Photoshop but when I am going to post on the web just resize to 800x600 and compress the file.

Hope this helps.

Ian
11th April 2008, 02:45 PM
Hi All

I seem to be having some trouble preserving the EXIF data in my images. My workflow is E-3 -> Lightroom - > Adobe Photoshop

Can someone let me know what I need to do to preserve the EXIF data when I want to display an image on the web, especially when using these applications.

Thanks.

John

Forget about using Save for web in Photoshop, use Save as... and choose compression to give you no more than 200-250K files (assuming your image's longest side is about 800 pixels, which is what I would recommend).

How are you exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop? Are you using Photoshop as an external editor directly from Lightroom? You could export manually as a DNG file. This is an intermediate form of RAW file and so will preserve the most image data. It will also preserve EXIF data.

Ian

Invicta
11th April 2008, 02:49 PM
Save for web in Photoshop CS will remove the EXIF info.

I use

1) Camera > Camera Raw > Photoshop CS3

2) Resize: bicubic sharper (best for reduction)

3) Save as jpeg

Never used Lightroom but I guess if you import into Lightroom the EXIF is kept in the database rather than in the file? Maybe a Lighroom person can comment if you need to export the EXIF info.

Ian
11th April 2008, 04:09 PM
Save for web in Photoshop CS will remove the EXIF info.

I use

1) Camera > Camera Raw > Photoshop CS3

2) Resize: bicubic sharper (best for reduction)

3) Save as jpeg

Never used Lightroom but I guess if you import into Lightroom the EXIF is kept in the database rather than in the file? Maybe a Lighroom person can comment if you need to export the EXIF info.

I'm a recent convert to Lightroom (it takes and age to crack the ever so steep initial learning curve - then it suddenly all makes sense) and I have no problem preserving the EXIF data.

Ian

theMusicMan
11th April 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm a recent convert to Lightroom (it takes and age to crack the ever so steep initial learning curve - then it suddenly all makes sense) and I have no problem preserving the EXIF data.

Ian
Ok, thanks Ian.

So, how do you get your image from Lightroom to Photoshop...?

I tend to use the 'Shift-Apple-E' key combination which brings up the Export dialogue box, and then I ensure 'Minimise Embedded MetaData' is ticked. Then I use Save-as in Photoshop - but I still get no EXIF data.

Something's up I guess, how do you export data out of Lightroom Ian?

Invicta
11th April 2008, 07:03 PM
Ok, thanks Ian.

So, how do you get your image from Lightroom to Photoshop...?

I tend to use the 'Shift-Apple-E' key combination which brings up the Export dialogue box, and then I ensure 'Minimise Embedded MetaData' is ticked. Then I use Save-as in Photoshop - but I still get no EXIF data.

Something's up I guess, how do you export data out of Lightroom Ian?

Found this info on Lightroom

Minimize Embedded Metadata Includes only copyright metadata fields in the exported photo.
from

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS450D132D-9820-4ea8-902A-ED08CEBD95FF.html

So try running the export and not checking the 'Minimise Embedded MetaData' box. Does this fix it?

Solar
15th April 2008, 02:18 PM
FWIW, when you choose the "export" file from Lightroom, you can select, to keep the exif intact.

shenstone
15th April 2008, 07:08 PM
Hi All

Thanks.

John

Hi John - see this related thread

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1550

Regards
Andy

Real Ramona
9th May 2008, 02:52 PM
John

Are you using save for web on Photoshop????I belive this removes EXIF data.

Aha! Thanks for that. I was just looking at some of my Flickr pics and wondering why some has the camera tag an others didnt.
I have learned something useful today, cheers.
J

E-P1 fan
29th July 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm finding that Paint Shop Pro seems to strip the EXIF data from jpgs. Using Master 2 seems to eliminate the problem as it saves jpgs with exif data intact.

Henk
29th July 2008, 06:23 PM
In PSP do save as, click options in the window that just opened, click the tag at "save exif information", ready....*yes