PDA

View Full Version : m4/3 Macro Options

chrism_scotland
9th June 2011, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I received my brand new EP1 and I've been enjoying having a play with the 17mm pancake lens which seems much better than some comments suggested!

Anyway I'm looking to try and get a macro lens, I'm open to older manual lenses along with potentially having to adapt a 4/3 lens but not really sure what the options are, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian
9th June 2011, 10:59 AM
The Four Thirds 50mm and 35mm macro lenses work well using the MMF-1/2 adapters or the Panasonic equivalent. The 70-300 F/4-5.6 ZD zoom is also a handy macro lens. Panasonic Lumix/Leica have have 45mm Micro Four Thirds macro, too.

Ian

chrism_scotland
10th June 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks Ian, I think I might look at older adapted options, just the 4/3 to m4/3 converter seems to be really expensive!

StephenL
10th June 2011, 12:15 PM
Get hold of a Tamron SP90 - a superb manual macro lens.

chrism_scotland
10th June 2011, 01:02 PM

Been looking for one for a while, also seem to be a lot dearer now, I guess the secrets out!

RogerMac
10th June 2011, 01:27 PM
Any high quality legacy lens will perform well when fitted via an appropriate adaptor plus m4/3 extension tubes. You can buy the tubes without electrical connectors so they will not be expensive. Personally I use Canon FD lenses but that's only because I happen to have a couple - any high quality lens should be equally good and should be surprisingly cheap. Of course you will need a lens with manual focus but I think they all do, do not bother with zooms as ones of that vintage are usually poor

Roger

chrism_scotland
10th June 2011, 01:34 PM
Any high quality legacy lens will perform well when fitted via an appropriate adaptor plus m4/3 extension tubes. You can buy the tubes without electrical connectors so they will not be expensive. Personally I use Canon FD lenses but that's only because I happen to have a couple - any high quality lens should be equally good and should be surprisingly cheap. Of course you will need a lens with manual focus but I think they all do, do not bother with zooms as ones of that vintage are usually poor

Roger

Are there any good Canon FD macro's? I've noticed the FD fit lenses seem to be plentiful

RogerMac
10th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Are there any good Canon FD macro's? I've noticed the FD fit lenses seem to be plentiful

Yes here is a link to one supplier http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD_Fitting

You will notice that the macro versions tend to be more expensive than the plain ones. TBH I suspect that a set of extension tubes would be cheaper and just as good, at least to begin with

Roger

chrism_scotland
11th June 2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the help, been taking a look through some of the other m43 sites and the recommendations on adapted macro lenses, there's just too many to choose!

David M
11th June 2011, 11:18 PM

Second that, the only lens I'd replace it with is the OM Zuiko 90mm f2 now Olympus have abandoned the telephoto macro that was on the lens roadmap from 2003.