PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting Kits

jamie allan
8th June 2011, 10:58 AM
Anyone any experience of this? Does it give off light that is useable both from brilliance and colour/temperature point of view?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=109451&r=20110603

I've used LED inspection torches and they tend to give off too cool white light for my liking for working but I've never tried them as illumination for photography.

They are also offering a 135 LED model at 29.99

yorky
8th June 2011, 12:59 PM
At that price its well worth giving it a go, it all depends on how much light you require, should work well as a fill in light,

theMusicMan
8th June 2011, 02:29 PM
I remember seeing one of these in the form of a ring-flash - which in my opinion is a much better use for such lighting.

Though useful in some way, this, in essence, is just a torch attached mechanically to the camera.

DekHog
8th June 2011, 05:08 PM
A friend has the ring-flash LED type and although it's OK-ish for close-up/macro work, it's useless for anything outside of that being so low powered - the 64 LED light would probably be useful for portrait focusing indoors, especially with something like a PEN which really struggles to focus in low light, and has no AF assist should you want to use flash anyway....

The light temperature on them is neutral daylight. I've seen some of his JPEG's with the ring LED and they looked fine with no PP.....

David Morison
8th June 2011, 09:45 PM
I considered an LED ringlight for macro work but decided on flash because of it's extra short duration which is almost essential for fast moving bugs or anything in breezy conditions. However LED lights are much less expensive and do have the advantage of providing enough light to compose/focus in low light conditions.

David

Nick Temple-Fry
8th June 2011, 11:38 PM
I've thought of using these for macro photography of insects, not as the only source of light, but to cast light into the background. Too often the ring flash turns the background to black if the subject is sitting anywhere but in direct sunlight. Something like this would allow a far lower (almost fill in) flash intensity whilst lighting the darker background.

Must admit I've been hoping that someone else would try it. (or tell me that my reasoning was stupid).

Nick

Phill D
9th June 2011, 05:34 AM
Nick I was considering a ring version that I'd seen on ebay that could be varied in intensity and side to side but I'm afraid I've not made the decision yet either.

Wee man
9th June 2011, 09:01 AM
Have an LED ringlight tried it for macro but found it did not really have the power so bought a Metz 15 MS-1 after speaking with Nick and find it much better but agree with Nick re: background. You cannot use both on a lens but one of these LED lights from 7day shop mounted to one side may help with backlighting?

chrism_scotland
10th June 2011, 08:18 AM
Good review of one of these LED Ring Flash kits here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=272235&highlight=Ring