PDA

View Full Version : Alternative income source

sponner
7th June 2011, 06:31 PM
AS well as stock photo's I have been experimenting with Print on Demand products.

Initially I was using photo's, sales have been very low and probably not worth the effort, just the odd postcard etc.

e.g. http://www.zazzle.com/curious_cow_postcard-239727417111654615

I have made a few business cards, stickers etc using gimp to create simple graphics . These have done surprisingly well given my total lack of talent as an illustrator, my best one has earned me about $40 so far, not bad for 20 minutes work.

If you have some skill as a graphic artist I'm sure this could be quite a lucrative use of "downtime".

Zuiko
7th June 2011, 06:51 PM
AS well as stock photo's I have been experimenting with Print on Demand products.

Initially I was using photo's, sales have been very low and probably not worth the effort, just the odd postcard etc.

e.g. http://www.zazzle.com/curious_cow_postcard-239727417111654615

I have made a few business cards, stickers etc using gimp to create simple graphics . These have done surprisingly well given my total lack of talent as an illustrator, my best one has earned me about $40 so far, not bad for 20 minutes work.

If you have some skill as a graphic artist I'm sure this could be quite a lucrative use of "downtime".

That's interesting. How do you tap into the market for business cards and stickers? :)

sponner
7th June 2011, 07:17 PM
mainly on zazzle and another American site for business cards, Art of Business Cards (Zazzle is the better earner though). There may be other outlets, I haven't really looked into it that far yet.

I'm not talking mega bucks, like anything to make serious money you would have to invest serious time and or talent.

I have seen dicussion about some decent money being earned designing wedding stationary sets etc. Most of my sales so far have been in the US.

Zuiko
7th June 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Sponner, I don't know if I'll make use of it but it identifies another market I didn't even know existed! :)

sponner
7th June 2011, 10:01 PM
Zuiko,

I only have my experience to go by, for me just pocket money nothing more.

I enjoyed the process of designing business cards etc so the financial reward is a bonus, the nice thing is I haven't done any for a while and a few quid keeps dropping in every week or so.

Just to give you an idea here is my Zazzle page

http://www.zazzle.com/sponner*?tc=238420872678252952

Active since March, not many designs as you can see, earnings to date about $80, not quite time to tell my boss what I really think of him ;)

thisisgazza
25th October 2011, 09:32 PM
Sounds a bit of a waste of time?

Im a graphic designer, few years ago I was doing business cards by the bucket load for my job. What i cant understand is why companies would buy from them because a business card is all about there branding isnt it. I suppose not all business are that bothered though.

Do zazzle promote you designs or does a customer have to search through billions of designs before getting to yours?

sponner
9th November 2011, 06:30 PM
they search on key words for an design that suits their needs.

I can't really understand why people don't use their ownbranding but I'm not complaining.

sponner
1st August 2013, 09:06 PM
Just to revive a dead thread I am now up to $1300 actually paid, talk about money for old rope!

Crippledsandwich
1st August 2013, 11:39 PM
Well done man thats excellent

Phill D
2nd August 2013, 06:32 AM
That sounds really good. A slow trickle of money eventually adds up to some serious photo gear!!!

Chevvyf1
2nd August 2013, 12:34 PM
"Publishing" is the BEST form of income ! You do it once and sell it many times :) ka ching :)

I am looking at setting up a print offer ... with my friend in Jakarta - you would not BELIEVE how cheap top Quality Paper and Print is - out in the Asian-Pacific rim.

I have never found a Business that "you can just sit back" which generates "a good living" :)

SELLING is a major part of business, any business *chr and if you do not sell you go under :eek:

Niche or be niched :D

So I decided to set up just local - which suits me - this does not provide a good living (by my standards) but enough for 2 x substantial holidays a year !

Everytime, I walk out my door, I am "Selling" ... be I asking if I may photograph some exquisite flower in their garden ... walterfall and pond or just talking to my neighbours - they are reminded of my Card Shop & Trusty box and going to village Fetes I distribute lots of my business cards and build up a "new following" ... and SALES -

However, I do ALSO offer BESPOKE CARDS too ... Decoupage 3D or 6D and A4 cards for Wedding ... or Christening ... 18th - 65th - these are expensive but most often framed :)