PDA

View Full Version : Flash problem with 12-60 mm lens

Floribunda
6th June 2011, 08:32 AM
Hi! Being a bit technically challenged I hope I can phrase this question so it makes sense.
I have recently purchased a Zuiko 12-60 mm Wide angle lens for my E-520.

When using the flash at the 12-20mm range on the focus ring I get a dark shadow in the bottom foreground of the photo. 20-60mm is fine.

I am presuming this is caused by the flash bouncing off the barrel of the lens.

Has anybody else had this problem?

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/lynfarn/Tablewithshadow.jpg

meach
6th June 2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, I get that at short focal lengths on my 14-54 if using the built in flash. The only way round it is to put a flash gun into the hotshoe or on a bracket which puts the flash higher up.

wanderer
6th June 2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Lyn
I can get that too. Its worse if the lens hood is on.
The answer is probably off camera flash although it doesn't seem to be a problem when using the camera's own flash.
The other problem I've had with the lens is vignetting when using filters at the 12 end.

Its still my favourite lens.

Floribunda
6th June 2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Lyn
I can get that too. Its worse if the lens hood is on.
The answer is probably off camera flash although it doesn't seem to be a problem when using the camera's own flash.
The other problem I've had with the lens is vignetting when using filters at the 12 end.

Its still my favourite lens.

Hi! Yep - it is worse with the lens hood on & it is with the camera's own flash I get the problem but only as I say at the 12-20mm end.

Thanks for mentioning the vignetting - I am not experienced enough yet to get into filters, but one day.....................

I love this lens too - so versatile.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Floribunda
6th June 2011, 08:50 AM
Yes, I get that at short focal lengths on my 14-54 if using the built in flash. The only way round it is to put a flash gun into the hotshoe or on a bracket which puts the flash higher up.

Thanks Paul - this seems to be the answer.
And here I was thinking that Oly's were perfect! :D

David Morison
6th June 2011, 09:05 AM
Most lenses that extend during zooming exhibit this which is the shadow of the lens barrel and is made worse with a hood fitted. Removing the lens hood can sometimes help but a external flash on the hot shoe eliminates this in most circumstances except when working in macro, in which case I either use a flash bracket/handle or mount on a tripod or some other support and either use a long lead or wireless.

David

Floribunda
8th June 2011, 08:24 AM
Most lenses that extend during zooming exhibit this which is the shadow of the lens barrel and is made worse with a hood fitted. Removing the lens hood can sometimes help but a external flash on the hot shoe eliminates this in most circumstances except when working in macro, in which case I either use a flash bracket/handle or mount on a tripod or some other support and either use a long lead or wireless.

David

Thank you David - you have put the explanation beautifully.
Looks like a little more expense coming up for me. :(