PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Two E5 problems

jdal
5th June 2011, 09:04 AM
I've got two problems with my E5.:
Lock-up - sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again. I've not managed to identify any settings which make it happen. Anyone seen this behavior?

:eek::eek:The camera fell off the car seat onto the road with the 50-200 attached. The lens seems ok - it didn't have it's hood on, but the filter on the front broke and presumably took the edge-on impact. (I don't normally keep a filter on lenses, but this was on when I bought it from Andy-R and I'd just left it - thanks Andy!). The only damage to the camera seems to be the glass viewfinder cover, which has cracked down one side. The viewfinder seems to work ok other than the broken glass. It looks like a feasible job to replace the glass if I can get a spare - anyone know how to do this?

cheers

Zuiko
5th June 2011, 10:23 AM
Oh dear, that's bad news. Sorry to hear this, John. If anyone stocks spare glass it's likely to be Luton Cameras, how you go about it is another matter. Bearing in mind the lock up problem, unfortunately it may be time for an early trip back to Olympus. The lock up will be under guarantee and if you speak to them nicely you may get the new glass free!

Bobpatchcott
5th June 2011, 10:50 AM
I've got two problems with my E5.:
Lock-up - sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again. I've not managed to identify any settings which make it happen. Anyone seen this behavior?

:eek::eek:The camera fell off the car seat onto the road with the 50-200 attached. The lens seems ok - it didn't have it's hood on, but the filter on the front broke and presumably took the edge-on impact. (I don't normally keep a filter on lenses, but this was on when I bought it from Andy-R and I'd just left it - thanks Andy!). The only damage to the camera seems to be the glass viewfinder cover, which has cracked down one side. The viewfinder seems to work ok other than the broken glass. It looks like a feasible job to replace the glass if I can get a spare - anyone know how to do this?

cheers
Bad luck mate
there are two schools of thought when it comes to using filters to protect the front element of a lens some never use them some always do and having had a similar experience myself a few years ago needless to say I always do.
I can't help you with how to repair it I'm sorry to say but would suggest Luton Cameras as a good place for spares and repairs for Olympus.
I realise none of the above is very helpful but I wish you the best of luck in getting your problem sorted.*chr*chr
Regards Bob

Ross the fiddler
5th June 2011, 12:48 PM
I managed to break the viewfinder glass in an E410 & the glass was not available by itself but as a viewfinder eyepiece assembly. It contained the diopter adjustment section with it & as a unit, was easily removed with 2 screws. I don't know how the E3 & E5 assemblies are made, but I would imagine the assembly would be available as a spare part for those models too.

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap & hope it is all fixed without too much expense.

Chevvyf1
5th June 2011, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear of this trauma ! :eek: I do not use the viewfinder, as the Metering via Live Screen p.46 on digital esp metering ! there is a little slide control at the diopter to shut it off !

jdal
5th June 2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks all. I've fired a mail off to Luton Cameras, who I've used before for the little bits that drop off (flash/remote socket covers, rubber eyepieces). The whole diopter/glass/viewfinder cover assembly looks to be one part, but there are no screws. Presumably it's different to the 410 because of splashproofing. I notice on the Katzeye site, the 410 can be fitted with a new focussing screen by the end user, but they recommend that the E3/E30 are done by a professional. Sounds like the cam's going on a little trip :( , I just hope they don't blame the lockup problem on teh incident that knakcered the viewfinder. Maybe they'll do as Zuiko suggested and just stick another glass in gratis, it does look possible with the right tools. One can hope.

Dick Bowman
6th June 2011, 06:29 AM
This lockup seems to be an Olympus "feature" - I've had it on both E1 and E3. For the E3 I think I read a report (probably here) mentioning that the combination of IS "on" and continuous shooting was the culprit (although it's not guaranteed to cause the lockup).

Since reading that I've used either (but not both) and - so far - lockups have become much rarer, but I may just have been lucky.

I think it's something in the firmware (which probably has much common code from model to model).

Something else which has seemed to improve my E3 reliability is new batteries, even though the old ones appeared to be taking and holding charge well enough.

Chevvyf1
6th June 2011, 07:09 AM
This lockup seems to be an Olympus "feature" - I've had it on both E1 and E3. For the E3 I think I read a report (probably here) mentioning that the combination of IS "on" and continuous shooting was the culprit (although it's not guaranteed to cause the lockup).

Since reading that I've used either (but not both) and - so far - lockups have become much rarer, but I may just have been lucky.

I think it's something in the firmware (which probably has much common code from model to model).

Something else which has seemed to improve my E3 reliability is new batteries, even though the old ones appeared to be taking and holding charge well enough.

NOW this is interesting and maybe my "GHOSTING" was because of IS on and continous shooting ?

jdal
6th June 2011, 08:28 AM
Well that could be it, when walking I often leave the cam on with IS and C-AF for any wildlife I may chance on. I'll keep an eye on that one.

I've had an idea for the glass. If I can get the old broken glass off, I could try and cut a square off a cheap UV filter and stick it on with a thin strip of double sided tape. The glass fits in from the outside, it isn't recessed. So long as it's showerproof.

jdal
7th June 2011, 04:12 PM
I got in touch with Luton Cameras. 10 for the Viewfinder Glass Assembly, but it screws in from the inside :eek:

So 50 + VAT + PP for them to fix it, which is what I'll do. I can't see Oly being cheaper or quicker, although I have to wait a month for the part. I can live with the problem for the moment and hopefully it'll only be away for a couple of days.

Anybody know what the Oly rate is? Anyone had Luton do a repair?

thanks all for the advice.

drmarkf
18th June 2011, 09:03 AM
NOW this is interesting and maybe my "GHOSTING" was because of IS on and continous shooting ?

I haven't heard this in connection with Oly cameras and I've never suffered myself, but I've also got a Nikon D300 and its a well-known gotcha that these can lock up and do other strange things if you change lenses with both the camera and the (in-lens) image stabilization switched 'on'.

I've got in to the habit now of switching all my cameras off before changing lenses: its one more thing to do if you're in a hurry, but you do get the additional advantage of a sensor clean.

[BTW I used Luton cameras years ago when my OM-1 went for a run down Helvelyn rather more quickly than I had intended. They replaced the cracked viewfinder promptly and cheaply, as I remember]

Ulfric M Douglas
18th June 2011, 09:23 AM
... sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again.
OK, first thing : after lurkifying around the Leica forums far more than is healthy I've seen a similar problem solved by chucking that battery and getting a couple of new or aftermarket ones ... and only using them at rather full charge.

Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera! *chr

I hope the battery thing helps.

drmarkf
18th June 2011, 09:49 AM
Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera! *chr

:D

A while ago I developed some half-baked notion that I might dump all my Oly and Nikon kit and drop the proceeds on said 'exclusive' machine.

Our LCS (the excellent Campkins in Cambridge) let me have a prolonged play with one and, yes, they feel solid, the controls work deliciously smoothly, it makes a nicely quiet 'clrack' shutter sound and the full-frame images are really nice.
However it feels like you're holding a brick, focusing the 35mm f2 is awkward with the silly little slot-thingy for your thumb, and it seized up (needing a battery-out reset) while I was playing with it. I also felt quite vulnerable holding something in town that cost twice as much as my wife's car.

The Leica forums had a lot of complaints of software glitches, although I expect they've solved these now.

I'm sticking with the economical junk for now, thanks!

jdal
19th June 2011, 09:43 PM
Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera! *chr...

If I had a 7000 camera I'd only drop it :)

jdal
19th June 2011, 09:47 PM
If I had a 7000 camera I'd just drop it.*yes

gphemy
22nd June 2011, 09:49 AM
Anybody know what the Oly rate is? Anyone had Luton do a repair?

I don't know what the Oly rate is, but I do know that the repair location would be either Portugal or Czech Republic, whereas LCRS's location is ... Luton. So if you are in SE England, there is only one choice.

I have had repairs done by LCRS to various OM and other bodies, with no complaints, no problems, and I know that Olympus themselves use LCRS to do rush-jobs for favoured pro-photographers for whom Olympus themselves cannot pull rabbits out of hats. And I have also heard repeatedly from LCRS that having done so, Olympus omit to provide any stock of either rabbits or hats to allow LCRS to do what is needed!

Piers

jdal
22nd June 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm getting LCRS to do my repair. I've been quoted 10 for the part and 40+vat+p&P for opening up the body, fitting the part and putting it back together & testing. Well worth it I'd say. They quoted a month to get the part from Oly and they will email me when it's in, so I can send the camera off to them then. Hopefully I'll only be without it for a week or so.

I'm actually getting used to the knackered viewfinder now, but it won't be showerproof anymore.

I'll update the thread when it's all done.

jdal
7th July 2011, 02:17 PM
Got the cam back from LCR today. I'd got an email saying the parts were in last Thursday, got it sent off on Friday 1st and it came back today, 6 days later. The price was as quoted - 10 for the part + 50 labour+vat+P&P. It all looks ok, so I'm pretty happy with that outcome, particularly after how I felt when I heard it hit the driveway :eek:

Chevvyf1
7th July 2011, 02:27 PM
Whoopee ! thats a great price and great service turnaround ! Nice to know !

gphemy
7th July 2011, 03:11 PM
Good to hear of such a good result, John, and that LCRS lives up to its established reputation!

Piers