PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Rain covers - any recommendations

Ian
3rd June 2011, 10:43 AM
I know it's been the driest Spring for ages and the sun is shining today, but another member who does a lot of motorsport photography with an E-30, which is not one of the sealed Olympus models, was asking me today if I knew anything about camera rain covers. And I don't. So I thought I would ask if anyone here has any recommendations.

Ian

j.baker
3rd June 2011, 11:14 AM
I have several here. They all work well but the biggest problem is condensation and issues when using them with long lenses that are not sealed.

Ian
3rd June 2011, 11:17 AM
Hi John - do you have any preferences/brands?

Ian

j.baker
3rd June 2011, 12:32 PM
no, not really. I got mine from ebay some time ago.

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd June 2011, 12:49 PM
Being a bit of a DIYer - aka cheapskate :o I've used plastic bags & PVC or Duct tape to great effect.

I'm also averse to Cameraflage ;) I have no problem with looking daft but don't see the point of spending lot of the hard earned to do it :D

Chevvyf1
3rd June 2011, 01:04 PM
Ian I have "Nereus" rain protector RP-01 - it goes over human and camera - no probs of condensation ! I use it on the Beach when there is lots of Spray from Surf ! I think I got these from either an online camera kit store or eBay !

sapper
3rd June 2011, 01:22 PM
I use an E5 so it is not a worry for me but I have heard that a chamois leather over the camera/lens works well. Told to me by a canon user.

David M
3rd June 2011, 01:37 PM
I use an E5 so it is not a worry for me but I have heard that a chamois leather over the camera/lens works well. Told to me by a canon user.

Sounds like a variation on the 'horse blanket' used by long lens shooters for years, a piece of heavy, stiff canvas that drapes over the lens and camera.

I use a different variation using a piece of pond liner.

Phaedrus
1st July 2011, 11:38 PM
Too gimmicky?

http://shop.optechusa.com/Videos/Weatherguard.html

Phaedrus
2nd July 2011, 12:12 AM
Too pervy?

http://optechusa.com/accessories/rainsleeve.html

paullus
2nd July 2011, 09:51 AM
When I had my E620 I made a waterproof cover from the sleeve of an old waterproof jacket. The elasticated cuff fitted snugly around the lens and there was enough room to get your hands on the controls. Worked well during showers.

Homer Simpson
2nd July 2011, 01:21 PM
I always nick the shower caps from hotels :rolleyes:

chrisdoig24k
21st September 2011, 03:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4MSNw.jpg

Just sayin'.

marsta
21st September 2011, 11:04 AM
Hi,

I have used the Optech rainsleeves shown above, they seem OK and are very cheap. I still carry them with me for when I use a non weathersealed lens.
I was at Goodwood for the weekend and on Sunday watched as the rain came and the cameras were put away while I carried on shooting.

I did see one of the pro's using a couple of chamois leathers over his gear.

It did rain very hard at times and I am pleased to report that the weathersealing held up well.

My E3 had the 1.4x and the 50-200 on it and the E1 had the 70-300 and was protected from the worst of the rain.

Cheers
Mark