PDA

View Full Version : Just like buses, but more of them!

DJMC
1st June 2011, 04:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Now I'm back 'into cameras' after 30 years, I happened to mention this to someone I know and they asked me if I wanted to buy an E-600 which he's thought about selling, bought on a whim and never really used as he uses a compact mostly.

It has the two kit lenses and he suggested 250 for it.

I'm already struggling to decide between my E-1, E-510 and the E-3 so do I really want to confuse the issue more with yet another camera!?

It looks like an upgrade from my E-510 which I guess I could sell on for much the same price but the E-6*0 doesn't seem to have much of a grip to the r/h side compared to the E-510 which I find small for my large hands?

At present the E-1 is still looking like the one I'll use most as it's the least complicated for an old OM2 user!

Can't resist a bargain though - but is it one?

andym
1st June 2011, 04:48 PM
Looks like a bargain to me particularly if it hardly been used.

Go on you know you want too.;);)

francois
1st June 2011, 04:52 PM
Seems to me like you want to start an Olympus nursery. Are you sure you want to spend 250 on another body instead of using that money towards purchasing a lens?

The price is very tempting though.

snaarman
1st June 2011, 04:55 PM
Bite their arm off :)

The '600 is a great and under-rated camera, essentially an E620 with the lights turned off :-)

Pete

StephenL
1st June 2011, 05:07 PM
There you are, you've answered your earlier question. Buy it, keep the E-1, and you've two cracking cameras, and the buildings of a nice nest of lenses to boot.

DJMC
1st June 2011, 05:17 PM
Seems to me like you want to start an Olympus nursery. Are you sure you want to spend 250 on another body instead of using that money towards purchasing a lens?

The price is very tempting though.

No, but I'm like a magnet at the moment!
All I wanted is ONE camera to replace the OM2, but every time a different one comes up at a good price I say to myself "why not try it, see if you like it, and if not you can sell it on for the same as you paid". Trouble is, I'm going to get really confused by the different features they each have and by the time I've read 3/4 manuals they'll all be obsolete and worthless!

That's the problem with a 'new' hobby - not knowing what you really want and being swayed by other's opinions as to what is best.

The E-3 may be the 'best' of the four overall but do I need all its features for my simple uses?

I'll see if he really wants to sell on Friday and think about it until then. I'm 50/50 at the moment.

I believe the E-600's advantages over the E-510 are mostly screen size/swivel and sensor? Not bothered by what it loses compared to the E-620.
I do like the E-510's bigger grip more though.

:confused:

DJMC
1st June 2011, 05:19 PM
Bite their arm off :)

The '600 is a great and under-rated camera, essentially an E620 with the lights turned off :-)

Pete

Ah..... just got it!

The back-lights you mean?

;)

Ulfric M Douglas
1st June 2011, 05:59 PM
Yes, bargain..
...E-600 ... It has the two kit lenses and he suggested 250 for it.
But which 40-150 lens do you already have?

DJMC
1st June 2011, 06:05 PM
Yes, bargain..

But which 40-150 lens do you already have?

I have the 3.5-4.5 and his is the 4.0-5.6

I think mine's the better one, yes?

:confused:

Welshlansdcaper
1st June 2011, 06:09 PM
Dammit ! I've just paid 300 for an E-600 +14-42MkII :(

Mike

Zuiko
1st June 2011, 09:57 PM
You say you prefer the grip of the E-510. They are all fine cameras, don't underestimate the importance of "feel" when chosing a camera. :)

DJMC
1st June 2011, 10:19 PM
You say you prefer the grip of the E-510. They are all fine cameras, don't underestimate the importance of "feel" when chosing a camera. :)

Even the larger E-510 grip feels small in my hand whereas the E-1 (and I suspect the E-3) fits like a glove.

Had another play with both the above today. Keep picking up the E-1 but wanting to like the E-510 as much due to its extra features.

Chance of buying the E-600 now slipped to 30/70 against due to the smaller grip it has.

*yes

pepper
1st June 2011, 10:32 PM
Being totally practical, you buy it if you can afford it, sell it on and get a good 50-200 lens with the proceeds ;)

Mark
1st June 2011, 10:38 PM
Even the larger E-510 grip feels small in my hand whereas the E-1 (and I suspect the E-3) fits like a glove.

Had another play with both the above today. Keep picking up the E-3 but wanting to like the E-510 as much due to its extra features.

Chance of buying the E-600 now slipped to 30/70 against due to the smaller grip it has.

*yes

You can get an additional battery grip for E-600/620 quite cheaply now giving you a more substantial camera to hold and a better balance with the larger lenses. Without the grip and with the kit lenses it's a capable, light travel camera. So you can have almost two cameras in one !

With your E-1 you have a tough weathersealed body - would be good if you could keep both :)

Zuiko
1st June 2011, 10:38 PM

Had another play with both the above today. Keep picking up the E-3 but wanting to like the E-510 as much due to its extra features.

*yes

Rather than buy a third camera, why not recycle the two existing ones and buy an E-3 instead? There's one going for 450 at the moment on this forum http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14906

You'd have all the features of the E-510, all the important ones of the E-620, the feel of a bigger camera with a substantial grip, the weatherproofing and build quality of the E-1, all in one body. :)

francois
1st June 2011, 11:27 PM
Exactly what I would do. But I believe David has now bought an E-3 so it's more a question of what body does he keep besides the E-3, if any.

DJMC
2nd June 2011, 09:36 AM
Rather than buy a third camera, why not recycle the two existing ones and buy an E-3 instead? There's one going for 450 at the moment on this forum http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14906

You'd have all the features of the E-510, all the important ones of the E-620, the feel of a bigger camera with a substantial grip, the weatherproofing and build quality of the E-1, all in one body. :)

It seems the logical thing to do and as Francois says, I have an E-3 (for 350) arriving today. This whole excercise was supposed to be a budget entry back into the world of photography and I guess selling the E-1 and E-510 would bring back in almost the same as the E-3. But as I have said before I don't yet need large images, a better screen, or the E-3's other features and I may just decide to stick with the E-1, keeping the E-510 to see if I do use it, and when I'm up to speed with what for me is a giant leap from the OM2, technologically speaking, I may then decide I'm ready to upgrade.

Difficult to say any more right now until the E-3 is in my hands later today and I've had a chance to compare all three.

The E-600 would further complicate things, but its grip will put me off I feel.
Has any manufacturer sold a camera with interchangeable grips of different sizes? They could make a bundle doing this in the accessory market!

N.B. The E-600 seller just phoned me to say he has the extra grip for it too and he definitely wants to sell it having had another play with it. I've suggested he puts it on Ebay where he may get more for it but he says he'd rather just get shot of it for cash to me if I'm interested. :eek:

I'm now expecting to be offered an E-5 for a fiver later today! :)

francois
2nd June 2011, 09:48 AM
One you have the E-3 in your hand (I'll bring mine on Saturday), you'll probably get the same feeling as when you tried holding the E-1 for the first time. Same ruggedness, same chunky size.

Buy the E-600 kit, flog it on eBay to make 100 profit, sell the E-1, sell the E-510 and you get an almost free E-3. Not bad.

If you don't buy the E-600 kit, I will ! ;)

DJMC
2nd June 2011, 09:55 AM
One you have the E-3 in your hand (I'll bring mine on Saturday), you'll probably get the same feeling as when you tried holding the E-1 for the first time. Same ruggedness, same chunky size.

Buy the E-600 kit, flog it on eBay to make 100 profit, sell the E-1, sell the E-510 and you get an almost free E-3. Not bad.

If you don't buy the E-600 kit, I will ! ;)

I guess that's a plan! I'm meeting the E-600 seller tomorrow. I'll have the cash with me. :rolleyes:

Thinking of opening a 2nd hand Olympus shop!

:D

Zuiko
2nd June 2011, 11:29 AM
I must say the deal on the E-600 twin lens kit you have been offered is so good it would be rude not to accept it! Whether it would benefit you to keep it is another matter, but there's a profit to be made if you wish! :)

DJMC
2nd June 2011, 11:43 AM
The E-3 has just arrived. Had a quick handle of it and it seems smaller than the E-1.

No time to play now though as I should be working. Maybe later tonight.

If I insist on keeping the E-1 and another, maybe the E-600 is the better bet (if it fits my hand!) over the E-510 as I then have many of the E-3 features.

Why have I been so prejudiced against the E-3? Maybe I just like a challenge with the E-1!

Zuiko
2nd June 2011, 11:45 AM
OK, sell the E-3 at a profit! :D

DJMC
3rd June 2011, 02:57 PM
Well, of course I've bought the E-600. :rolleyes:

No USB cable and I don't recognise the socket at the camera end? Anyone know what it is?

I have a card reader but do like to have all the original 'bits' it should have, especially if I end up selling it on.

Guess I can find one on ebay?

It also has the purchase rec't dated 2/10.
Is it a 2 year warranty?

Initial impressions? Awkward to hold as I suspected, even with the grip.

Jury's out:......

;)

Mark
6th June 2011, 07:56 AM
Well, of course I've bought the E-600. :rolleyes:

No USB cable and I don't recognise the socket at the camera end? Anyone know what it is?

I have a card reader but do like to have all the original 'bits' it should have, especially if I end up selling it on.

Guess I can find one on ebay?

;)

The camera socket is I think a different kind of mini USB. Turns out it is the same connection as my Olympus C-70 (C-7000 in USA) zoom compact for USB and video leads. These are pretty cheap to pick up on ebay.

Have fun playing with your cameras ! Sounds like you bought very wisely so as others have said you shouldn't lose money if you want to sell any of them on. In fact I know someone looking for their first dSLR :)

Regards,
Mark

Roberta
8th June 2011, 10:54 PM
You are now sitting on the top of the slippery slope of the "I want that ......."
enjoy................

Roberta