PDA

View Full Version : Lens maintenace?

wezzzor
31st May 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi everybody.
Might just pick your brains for a minute. I am the lucky and proud owner of an Olympus E5 and a few lenses. I added the 14-54 mk1 and the 50mm F2 to my collection and bought them 2nd hand within the past year. Both lenses are in pristine condidtion optically and cosmeticly.

As we all knows Olympus's weather sealing is hard to beat and living in Ireland & Uk we are prone to a lot of rain. :(

So this leads me to my question. do lenses need to have there seals/gaskets replaced every few years or are they sealed for life? last thing i want is a rubber seal leaking and ruining the lens & E5.

Any help would be great.

Wesley

Ulfric M Douglas
31st May 2011, 08:17 PM
Good question.
Due to the newness and high quality of Olympus digital stuff we might not need to find out for another few years...

Bikie John
1st June 2011, 08:59 AM
Interesting you should ask that. I was using the 12-60 (about 4 years old - new when the E-3 came out) at the weekend. The zoom action suddenly got very sticky - I jiggled it loose and it seems to work OK but there is now a bit of what I think is a sealing ring sticking out between the inner barrel and housing.

It was a fine time to find a problem - on the touchline at Twickenham taking the celebration photos of the winning team in rugby's County Championship Shield :( I am now waiting for a repair estimate from Luton and will speak to Oly later. At least it wasn't raining, and I have a 14-54 to use while the 12-60 is away.

Ciao ... John

Jim Ford
1st June 2011, 10:26 AM
There seems to be a tendency for the seals on the weather sealed zooms to tighten and stick, and in the worst case, displace the seal.

I suspect that in manufacture a silicone compound is used to lubricate the seals and this wears off in time, producing the sticking. From time to time I use the tiniest trace (pinhead sized) of silicone grease on my finger and rub it on the lens barrel. This restores the smooth zoom action (and also repels water).

Jim

Bikie John
1st June 2011, 10:48 AM
There seems to be a tendency for the seals on the weather sealed zooms to tighten and stick, and in the worst case, displace the seal.

I suspect that in manufacture a silicone compound is used to lubricate the seals and this wears off in time, producing the sticking. From time to time I use the tiniest trace (pinhead sized) of silicone grease on my finger and rub it on the lens barrel. This restores the smooth zoom action (and also repels water).

Jim

Thanks Jim, obviously the advice is a bit late for me now! Your explanation sounds pretty feasible, there is a smear of what looks like dried out white grease on the inner barrel.

Ciao ... John

wezzzor
4th June 2011, 01:44 PM
good idea. must give the 14-54mm and 50mm a service.