PDA

View Full Version : Taking the tablet

Graptolite
27th May 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm heading up the west coast in a few weeks and was wondering about taking some mobile storage for all those wonderful photos of rain clouds and midges with which I expect to fill my cards. I wondered if taking a tablet PC would be an option - I've found one (Archos 70) which has a 250GB hard drive and has multiple other uses, and is very reasonably priced. Does anyone else have any experience or advice about using a tablet PC, or this one in particular, before I part with my hard earned readies?

shenstone
28th May 2011, 07:16 PM
I can't comment on the specific device you're looking at, but some options maybe

I originally went for a vosonic portable hard drive/viewer for this job and it's done it very well and if storage is all you need it's a lot smaller than a PC so great for travelling

On the PC front I went for a netbook (Samsung in my case) as it gives me a better allrounder and is not much bigger to carry than many of the tablets

Regards
Andy

Graptolite
28th May 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Andy

The current Vosonic incarnation certainly looks interesting - it's got a decent capacity and built in card reader, can display RAW files and also seems to have a number of other (non-photographic) functions - all for a similar price to the tablet.
I'll go and have a look at some netbooks now - it'll depend partly on how bulky they are.

David

Ronel100
28th May 2011, 09:11 PM
I have an 8Gb Archos which is great for playing silly apps, reading e-books and especially for web browsing - accessing Flickr etc. but it is Android based and while viewing images is possible editing is more problematic. To connect the camera up you would need a lead which accepts USB input and I have not tried this.

DerekW
28th May 2011, 10:03 PM
I take a laptop for storage while traveling and also copy the files to an 80GB iPod to provide back up.

Graptolite
28th May 2011, 10:20 PM
I have an 8Gb Archos which is great for playing silly apps, reading e-books and especially for web browsing - accessing Flickr etc. but it is Android based and while viewing images is possible editing is more problematic. To connect the camera up you would need a lead which accepts USB input and I have not tried this.

I presume that there are basic editing apps available, but really I would prefer to leave any editing to my desktop at home, so it would be mainly for storage. And maybe playing silly apps...

Graptolite
28th May 2011, 10:24 PM
I take a laptop for storage while traveling and also copy the files to an 80GB iPod to provide back up.

Ideally I'd prefer something less bulky than a laptop. I'm leaning towards Andy's netbook suggestion just now - a bit of a halfway house between laptop and tablet.