PDA

View Full Version : SD to CF

The Technician
26th May 2011, 02:41 PM
Has anyone used one of these in a E-510 and does it work ok *???

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111388

Melaka
26th May 2011, 04:06 PM
Yes and it works OK. The only snag, but this may just be my example, is that you have to be careful how far you push the SD into the adapter otherwise it doesn't connect properly. It's now standard fit for my E3 and E620 when I have to download to a laptop although I use a CF card if I'm downloading to the PC.

The Technician
26th May 2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that :) will look at getting one, as SD cards are cheaper, plus will be able to use them in my E5 when I can afford one :D

Naughty Nigel
27th May 2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that :) will look at getting one, as SD cards are cheaper, plus will be able to use them in my E5 when I can afford one :D

On that subject, is it easy to copy images from one card to another in camera, or do you just save images to one card or the other?

(Note to myself: I really must read the manual. :o )

DerekW
28th May 2011, 10:08 PM
A useful pointer - thanks for the info

I have a Firewire CF card reader which is much faster copying files into the computer than a USB reader and now I will be also using SD type cards I can use the same fast card reader.

RogerMac
29th May 2011, 04:07 AM
On that subject, is it easy to copy images from one card to another in camera, or do you just save images to one card or the other?

(Note to myself: I really must read the manual. :o )

Its on the menu - third one down then "Copy all" and it copies from the default card to the other one. Let me know if you want a screen shot. You can also copy single images by displaying them and pressing the button marked "Copy" in blue (also AF in white)

Roger

Naughty Nigel
29th May 2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks for that Roger. I am still finding my way around the E5, but I don't seem to find the time to read the manual!

I took some photographs with it today in difficult lightig conditions using external flash (FL50). This was the first time I have used a flashgun with it, and [after my E1] I must say I was impressed by the quality and accuracy of the exposures, which needed no adjustments at all.

I am also loooking forward to trying the multiple exposure HDR mode (as featured in this week's AP). If it works with flash it could be a real bonus as it is always difficult to balance the highligts with shadow detail.

RogerMac
30th May 2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for that Roger. I am still finding my way around the E5, but I don't seem to find the time to read the manual!
May I recommend the computer version of the manual? - It is hyperlinked and it after finding a subject in the index one can just jump to it quickly. I downloaded mine from olympus.co.uk a couple of weeks before buying the E5.

I took some photographs with it today in difficult lightig conditions using external flash (FL50). This was the first time I have used a flashgun with it, and [after my E1] I must say I was impressed by the quality and accuracy of the exposures, which needed no adjustments at all.
I had the same problem with my E510, it was very difficult to balance flash but, as you say, the E5 is a doddle.

I am also loooking forward to trying the multiple exposure HDR mode (as featured in this week's AP). If it works with flash it could be a real bonus as it is always difficult to balance the highligts with shadow detail.
I have not tried that yet, if you discover any tips please post them.

Roger

Naughty Nigel
31st May 2011, 04:41 PM
I tried the exposure bracketing funtion on the E5 last night whilst taking photographs of Peonies for another thread.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Peony_P5306604.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34497)

Using this option three files (RAW or JPG) are created from one exposure, but are processed at three different ISO speed ratings. This works very well, EXCEPT that the camera will not expose at less than 100 ASA, which may be why 200 ASA is the reccomneded setting! It also works with flash, which could be extremely useful.

My camera was indeed set at 100 ASA, so two files were at 100 ASA, and the third was at 160 ASA (0.7 EV additional exposure.)

This is a very useful function, but it is as well to be aware of this limitation if you don't want to fill your CF card with lots of useless duplicates!

DerekW
2nd June 2011, 12:14 PM
I have received the SDHC to CF adapter and the computer does not recognise the SDHC card in the adapter - I have tried this with two different CF card readers

Any thoughts please. I am doing searches on other sites in the interim.

Naughty Nigel
4th June 2011, 10:29 AM
Card adaptors contain circuitry to interface between your PC and the data card. As such the adaptor will almost certainly need its own driver to be installed before the computer can 'see' your SD card. These are usually included in Windoze, and should be installed automatically, but sometimes you have to install the driver from a supplied CD, or from the internet.

If you look in Control Panel, system, Hardware you will probably see your adaptor marked with a yellow asterisk, to show that the driver is not installed properly. Windoze can do an automatic search of the net, but you would probably do better to put the model of your adaptor into Google to search for one yourself.

DerekW
4th June 2011, 11:11 AM
Do not do windows -

The advertizing for the CD to CF card adapter did not mention any limitations, it implied that if you could read CF cards on the machine then you would also be able to read SDHC cards as well.

I have been doing a bit of research (ie Googling) and found that there is a great difference between a SD card and an SDHC card, that requires a newer reader.

So far I have not been impressed by the decision of Oly to use the SDHC card as it appears to be dependent on a rather unfriendly set of standards.

Naughty Nigel
4th June 2011, 02:04 PM
This has nothing to do with Olympus or any other camera manufacturer.

If I remember correctly, the original SD cards were limited to one gigabyte, which doesn't go far these days, so a newer standard was required. I have 2, 4 and 8 gigabyte cards, which I can use in my Canon PowerShot G9 and G11, my Roland sound recorder, and in my E5.

The newer cards do indeed need different hardware, but this has been standard for several years now.

DerekW
4th June 2011, 04:01 PM
I have now got the adapter to work - it require quite a bit of pressure to get it to sit in the CF card reader and also quite a bit of effort to get the SDHC card to slide fully into the adapter.

While people fear bending CF card pins - I have bent an SD card when pushing it into a reader.