PDA

View Full Version : New printer results

David Morison
21st May 2011, 10:48 PM
Having had an Epson R1800 A3+ printer for some while I have become increasingly frustrated with the print heads blocking, especially in warmer weather, a common fault according to many reports I have read. Then when I got a warning message that parts of the printer had exceeded their service life and the fact I hadn't printed A3 for some time, I decided it had to go. I replaced it with a Canon ip 4850, which is A4, and the results are a revelation. The colour saturation is greater than the Epson, which means I have to revisit some of my older jpegs, and the prints are astoundingly much sharper even on images I have previously printed on the Epson. This could be down to more dpi and smaller droplets but amazingly the prints appear sharper than the equivalent magnification of an image on my monitor! I regularly calibrate my monitor with Spyder Pro so I don't think that this result of misreading the IQ on the screen. As you can imagine I am not worrying about this development but I am slightly baffled that, in printed form, images from my E30 are as good as those from my E5!

David

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd May 2011, 05:29 AM
That sounds like an awesome printer : E30 to E5 in one easy step.
But its only A4, don't you miss the larger size?

StephenL
22nd May 2011, 06:30 AM
I've got an iP4700, which is the earlier model. Definitely the best printer I have ever used.

I note that Canon have just brought out an A3+ version, the iX6550, for about 165 which I am considering.

David Morison
22nd May 2011, 06:55 AM
That sounds like an awesome printer : E30 to E5 in one easy step.
But its only A4, don't you miss the larger size?

Well as I very rarely print A3 nowadays I calculated that if I were to include the extra cost of paper, inks (which is considerable) and the additional cost of buying an A3 printer, I would be much better off getting any A3 prints I wanted done commercially. Of course this requires forward planning which is something my job depended on, but since I've retired - hmmm!

David

Zuiko
22nd May 2011, 08:16 AM
I'm a big fan of Canon printers and have just replaced my knackered ip4500 with an ip3600, which is sitting next to me still in its box as I type.

I chose the recently discontinued (but still available if you google) 3600 over the newer 4850 because with each new model Canon introduces a new design of ink cartrige - tying you to their own brand inks until 3rd party providers update their ranges. :rolleyes:

I just wish that Canon, and everyone else, would facilitate borderless A6 printing. :mad:

David Morison
22nd May 2011, 09:01 AM
I'm a big fan of Canon printers and have just replaced my knackered ip4500 with an ip3600, which is sitting next to me still in its box as I type.

I chose the recently discontinued (but still available if you google) 3600 over the newer 4850 because with each new model Canon introduces a new design of ink cartrige - tying you to their own brand inks until 3rd party providers update their ranges. :rolleyes:

I just wish that Canon, and everyone else, would facilitate borderless A6 printing. :mad:

I only got my new printer a few days before a wildlife art exhibition I was contributing to so by the time I had knocked off 28 A4 glossies the coloured inks had all but run out. I ordered some third-party inks to replace (heart in mouth!) and they arrived instantly. The initial results with these inks in all ways match up to the originals so thank goodness for that. I've also bought 40 sheets of A4 Premium Glossy form The Cartridge People for 5.98, with free p&p, that appear to give equivalent results to the Canon stuff that is a great deal more expensive.

Time will tell whether my penny-pinching pays off in the long run, fingers crossed!

David

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd May 2011, 11:45 AM
I got myself a nice discontinued ip4500 but hardly use it : the good thing is that whenever I wake it from a long slumber it still makes good prints, no drying up from disuse. I know I'm lucky.

wanderer
22nd May 2011, 11:46 AM
Well as I very rarely print A3 nowadays I calculated that if I were to include the extra cost of paper, inks (which is considerable) and the additional cost of buying an A3 printer, I would be much better off getting any A3 prints I wanted done commercially.

I've come to the same conclusion. My camera club charges 3 for an A3 off an Epson printer using Epson ink and paper. I probably print 30 a year at that size. Therefore it would take about 6 years to break even. (allowing for iink & paper) I have my own Epson R800 A4 printer which is fine for most needs and produces to the same standard which I am very happy with.

yorky
22nd May 2011, 12:09 PM
I recently changed from a very frustrating Epson photo 2400 to a canon pro 9500 mk 11. The results are very rewarding, now no more spoilt papers so far with lines etc or faulty colours. the Epson was very good when it worked properly but it just wasn't consitant.

Welshlansdcaper
22nd May 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi all

I bought an Epson R2880 a couple of months ago and I have to admit the prints are very good. even those from my 4mju Stylus at 4mp at A3!

I did buy a CISS as well which I will install as soon as the inks in the printer have run out.

Mike