PDA

View Full Version : Which lens

sponner
21st May 2011, 10:33 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.... admins please close/move if wrong.

I'm off to Kalkan,Turkey in August (if you like eating out etc. go there its fantastic and I'm a notable skinflint when it comes to holidays).

I have an E-620 twin lens kit and the 50mm Zuiko digital lens but would like to step up in quality over the kit lenses.

I am keeping the 50mm (thats always on my camera atm) but as a prime it is limited.

My current thinking is to get rid of the two kit lenses to subsidise a 12-60mm Zuiko but they aren't cheap (gulp)

Sharpness is my main goal with the versatility of a zoom rather than prime.

Is that the best choice (the reviews I've read seem to suggest it is) or is there a trick I'm missing. I am aware of the Zuiko 14-54mm option and may go for that depending on funds/how much I can hide from the missus :(

francois
21st May 2011, 10:52 PM
If you could wrestle up a 12-60 and a 50-200, you'd be covered!

Failing that and for a smaller budget, 14-54 and 70-300 would also cover a lot.

sponner
21st May 2011, 11:21 PM
50-200mm 900 - double gulp.

wasn't really aware of this lens, reviews look good.

Anyone with such a spare lens want lots of washing up/lawn mowing/odd jobs doing?

francois
22nd May 2011, 01:45 AM
If you sold your three lenses (yes, the 50 too) and tracked down a mark I 50-200 and a mark I 14-54, you'd have quite a wide range to shoot with and two great lenses. Considering the current market price for a used 50-200 and a used 14-54, the resulting (14-54 + 50-200) - (14-45 + 40-150 + 50) = reasonable expense.

Personally, I've set my mind on the 12-60SWD and 50-200SWD being my goto lenses when I take a sizable bag with me. Saying that, I've recently purchased a 70-300 for when I want to be light (or lighter). And if you take only one lens with you, or can only afford one, you've already hit the nail on the head as the 12-60 is unbeatable as the gofer. I'd be quite happy going anywhere with a small pouch and E-3/12-60 combo, particularly for holiday snaps.

sponner
22nd May 2011, 05:17 AM
Now there's a thought.

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd May 2011, 05:33 AM
...Sharpness is my main goal ...
Before you start throwing cash around, do you have any evidence your kit zooms are not SHARP? (ours are well sharp enough, you could try yours on an e-410 or e-510 or E5 to check them out)
Getting a more expensive lens might not improve sharness much (uniquely in the Olympus system) but they are significantly better in other ways.

sponner
22nd May 2011, 06:03 AM
No I do think they are sharp but i also want ot make sure that my kit gives me the best chance I can afford leaving user error as teh cause of any problems.

I can detect a slight improvement between the smaller kit lens and the 50mm prime plus the faster aperture would be nice.

Homer Simpson
22nd May 2011, 10:24 AM
I think both the kit lens are very good.

If you flog them you will be lucky to get 100 for the pair.

If I were you I'd build on what you already have.

I take it your 50 mm prime is a OM 1.8 with adaptor?

Before going mad see if a forum member locally will let you look at their expensive lenses.

I have several hobbies and its only just dawning on me that (taken 50 years!) that the problems are rarely due to my kit. :o
You can't buy your way to expertise

OlyPaul
22nd May 2011, 11:04 AM
No I do think they are sharp but i also want ot make sure that my kit gives me the best chance I can afford leaving user error as teh cause of any problems.

I can detect a slight improvement between the smaller kit lens and the 50mm prime plus the faster aperture would be nice.

and the 50mm Zuiko digital lens

Well as the Olympus 50mm f2 Macro is the sharpest lens in the line up and you are only detecting a slight improvement over the kit lenses then I doubt you are going to see much difference in the lenses already suggested !

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd May 2011, 11:49 AM
Paul, that's my main point : I'm assuming he's spoilt by the 50mm (if it is the 4/3rds Zuiko) and is expecting more sharpness from the better zooms ... I really don't see that as their real purpose, unlike other systems where anything but the kit lens would be a real improvement.
The 'behaviour' of the 40-150 lenses I also find to be particularly excellent.

Also : Sharpness is his stated main goal - which will absolutely be improved by using one of the older-generation thin-AA sensors (e-410 and e-510 most affordable) cameras, compared to his e-600/620 although of course losing some functionality and perhaps dynamic range.

sponner
22nd May 2011, 01:41 PM
oh crumbs.

I sold a 510 to get the 620 :(

Maybe I should just stick with the kit lenses for a bit, tbh as I got the 50mm 4/3 soon after getting the 510 I haven't really used them much, I think I've only had the 40150 on the camera once.

Alan Clogwyn
22nd May 2011, 01:51 PM
The kit lenses are sharp, what they lack is resolution. The DPreview (I think it was) review of the 12-60 compares it to the 14-42 and whilst theres not a huge difference in sharpness, there is a leap in resolution and detail. It's the lens I would want if using 4/3 again.

snaarman
22nd May 2011, 02:32 PM
If you want "cheap, sharp and better than kit lens" then I second the 14-54 Mk1 and 70-300 option. Here's my argument...

Compare the feel of your ZD50 to the kit lenses. Not only is it sharper, but it feels better made 'cos its from the semi-pro range. In my opinion the 14-54 also has that nice pro feel. This certainly gives me added confidence for some strange psychological reason.

Moving to the 70-300: It is better made and has a better feel than you might expect. It can also be very sharp.

If I want best possible quality, I reach for my "better" lenses, the 11-22, 14-54, 50 macro or that 70-300.

If I want light and compact I take the kit lenses. However if I go on holiday with kit lenses there is always that nagging doubt that I could have brought back sharper pictures with the better lenses.

I call it Lens Worry... :)

Pete

David Morison
22nd May 2011, 02:53 PM
I started E-system life with the E410 + 14-42 + 40-150 and I cannot criticize the lenses at all. I changed to E30 to get the IS and I got a better price for the 410 as a full kit. I've ended up with the 14-150 (got it used and cheap on Ebay) for simplicity and portability, but looking back at images from my kit lenses I really cannot see any easily perceptible difference for my purposes. I have several A3 size prints framed on my walls from the 14-42 and I am still highly delighted with them. I have to agree with the "feel" issue, my Leica is built like a watch and the focus is very fast and silent, but I think it is a matter of diminishing returns with lenses and it is easy to get onto "the means being more important than the end" wagon.

Be happy with the kit lenses, they will serve you well in IQ terms.

Regards

David

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd May 2011, 04:39 PM
The kit lenses are sharp, what they lack is resolution. The DPreview (I think it was) review of the 12-60 compares it to the 14-42 and whilst theres not a huge difference in sharpness, there is a leap in resolution and detail...
I'm not finding any such claims on DPReview, but maybe it was another site ... also, how are sharpness and resolution and detail not proportionally linked, for a lens?
The DPReview pages ;
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_14-42_3p5-5p6_o20/page3.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_12-60_2p8-4_o20/page3.asp

I think Wrotniak's site gives a great comparison of all three lenses, this page shows samples from the two F2.8 contenders ;
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-samp.html

Janet
22nd May 2011, 04:57 PM
The kit lenses are sharp, what they lack is resolution

At the risk of sounding totally thick (I'm good at that!), could you explain a bit more? I really can't fault the two kit lenses that came with my e520. The 40-150mm lens is simply outstanding for a kit lens, given the right shooting conditions. I'm really only just starting to use the 14-42mm lens, but that also is proving to give excellent clarity and sharpness.

Janet

meach
25th May 2011, 03:40 PM
Also : Sharpness is his stated main goal - which will absolutely be improved by using one of the older-generation thin-AA sensors (e-410 and e-510 most affordable) cameras, compared to his e-600/620 although of course losing some functionality and perhaps dynamic range.

This is very interesting indeed to me. I find my e-600 and e-620 are noticeably less sharp than my e-510 which I'd probably still be using if I hadn't had a ladder collapse under me while I was using it - and it bugs me a lot. Does this mean I'd be better off going back to an e-510 or similar (sharpness is more important to me than the extra pixels and added functionality). If so, what other models should I consider? I've noticed the band pics produced by Janet with her e-520 always look particularly sharp.

Ulfric M Douglas
25th May 2011, 04:04 PM
... I've noticed the band pics produced by Janet with her e-520 always look particularly sharp.
Perhaps because you are assuming something else : the e-520 has (as far as I know) a heavier AA-filter than the e-510, though perhaps lighter than the e-600/620. Olympus made improvements to the e-410/510 and in the process of preserving highlights and adding art effects they stuck a thicker AA-filter over the sensor ... not remedied until the e-pL1 I believe.

Alan, there's still this to explain please ;
The kit lenses are sharp, what they lack is resolution. .

meach
25th May 2011, 04:14 PM
Perhaps because you are assuming something else : the e-520 has (as far as I know) a heavier AA-filter than the e-510, though perhaps lighter than the e-600/620. Olympus made improvements to the e-410/510 and in the process of preserving highlights and adding art effects they stuck a thicker AA-filter over the sensor ... not remedied until the e-pL1 I believe.
;

Thanks for your reply Ulfric. So basically what you're saying is the e-410 and e-510 are what I need to be looking at?

Ulfric M Douglas
25th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Luckily the issue is being resurrected in a brand new thread!
Let's see if there are any developments...
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14808