PDA

View Full Version : Wireless remote control for E5.

paullus
21st May 2011, 09:59 AM
Hello.
I find the RM-1 remote a little underwhelming and was looking for something with more range.
I've seen the Hahnel Giga T Pro Version 2 with power on/off switch at around 60 or much cheaper Far Eastern offerings.
Any information and opinions would be welcome please.

IainMacD
21st May 2011, 10:29 AM
I have one of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phottix-Cleon-2-O6-Wireless-Remote-Control-Olympus-/330564766866?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4cf7320c92) and can recommend it highly; it works at a good distance, through windows and even walls.
You might also find it cheaper than the link I added.
Iain

paullus
21st May 2011, 11:27 AM
Just another thought, will a wireless remote that works with an E1, E520 etc. work with an E5 or is there a difference?
Cheers.

Wreckdiver
21st May 2011, 12:24 PM
Is there a version for the E-5? Giga T Pro 2.4GHz Wireless Timer Remote (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?id=60&pId=60&page=dslrremotecontrols) This link doesn't show an E-5 version.

The E-1, E-3 and E-5 use the RM-CB1 remote release which has a different connector than the E-4xx, E-5xx, E-6xx series and E-30.

Make sure that the one you order is specifically for the E-5 and has the right connector.

Steve

paullus
21st May 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Steve, you've answered my question there about compatibility.

So, does anyone know of a wireless remote to suit the E1/3/5?

Cheers,
Steve

Seonnaidh
21st May 2011, 08:59 PM
Premier Ink list one made by hahnel Giga T Pro as being suitable for the E1 & E3 so maybe it fits the E5?

sariero
21st May 2011, 09:46 PM
Hi, if it works for E3, it must work for E5, at least my wired remote I used with the E3 now works on my E5.
BR - Sergio

Ross the fiddler
22nd May 2011, 03:00 AM
IR remotes can be purchased off ebay really cheap, & they work.

Here is one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IR-Wireless-Remote-Control-RM-E5-Olympus-RM-1-RM-2-/110685929225?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessorie s&hash=item19c5653f09

Also, here is the Oly RM-2 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Original-Olympus-RM-2-Remote-Control-E-1-E-3-E-5-/220698472504?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3362a77038

Hope that helps.

Bobpatchcott
22nd May 2011, 10:33 AM
Hello.
I find the RM-1 remote a little underwhelming and was looking for something with more range.
I've seen the Hahnel Giga T Pro Version 2 with power on/off switch at around 60 or much cheaper Far Eastern offerings.
Any information and opinions would be welcome please.
Hi,
I have a Hahnel giga T pro which I bought to use with my E-3, and have been very happy with it, this morning I tried it with my recently acquired E-5 and it works just fine, hope you find this helpful.
Regards to all, Bob :cool::cool::cool:

Wreckdiver
22nd May 2011, 10:49 AM
Hi,
I have a Hahnel giga T pro which I bought to use with my E-3, and have been very happy with it, this morning I tried it with my recently acquired E-5 and it works just fine, hope you find this helpful.
Regards to all, Bob :cool::cool::cool:

Where did you get yours from Bob? the Hahnel website doesn't show an E-3 version :confused:

Steve

paullus
22nd May 2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Bob.
I saw the Hahnel Giga T Pro and it has all the bells and whistles but at a price I didn't want to pay until I'm sure I would actually use it enough to justify the cost.
I've just dropped on a bit of a bargain from Ebay though. It's an as new Pixel Pro RW221 with a Nikon cable so it will suit my wife's D7000 as well, for 14.50. I've just ordered the Olympus connector lead from Amazon for a fiver. Overall it's cost me a few quid less than buying a new one. I'll just have to see how I get on with it.
Cheers,
Steve

paullus
22nd May 2011, 11:12 AM
Where did you get yours from Bob? the Hahnel website doesn't show an E-3 version :confused:

Steve

I believe the Hahnel one comes with two leads, one with a USB cable for E520/620/30 and an RM-CB1 compatible for E1/3/5.
Cheers,
Steve

Wreckdiver
22nd May 2011, 12:39 PM
I believe the Hahnel one comes with two leads, one with a USB cable for E520/620/30 and an RM-CB1 compatible for E1/3/5.
Cheers,
Steve

That sounds interesting :)

Cheers,

Steve

Bobpatchcott
22nd May 2011, 01:57 PM

Steve

Hi,
I got mine from warehouse express but I've seen it advertised elsewhere, the list of compatible cameras seems to vary quite a lot depending on where you read it which isn't very helpful, I've just had a rummage [ can't beat a good rummage] in the box and found a 2nd lead which I presume fits other models in the Olympus range.
Although they are quite expensive I think they are worth it, I have heard stories of cheap copies damaging the flimsy pins on the camera.
Good luck I hope you sort it out soon.
Cheers. Bob *chr*chr

paullus
22nd May 2011, 02:23 PM
Just for information there is an updated version of the Giga T Pro, the Giga T Pro II.
The later model has a power switch on both the transmitter and receiver. The early model apparently had a switch only on the receiver which shortened the battery life.
There are plenty of Mk I units out there but the MkII is around the same price but not as commonly advertised. Clifton Cameras have the MkII.
Hope this is useful.
Cheers,
Steve

paullus
26th May 2011, 04:08 PM
I've just dropped on a bit of a bargain from Ebay though. It's an as new Pixel Pro RW221 with a Nikon cable so it will suit my wife's D7000 as well, for 14.50. I've just ordered the Olympus connector lead from Amazon for a fiver. Overall it's cost me a few quid less than buying a new one. I'll just have to see how I get on with it.
Cheers,
Steve

The Pixel Pro RW221 with a Nikon cable arrived two days ago at the same time as the dedicated RM-CB1 compatible lead for my E5. It came with batteries and appears unused. It also seems well made and robust.
I've had some time to try it out on both cameras and it works a treat with at least 50m range even through glass. It has four shooting functions, single, multiple, bulb and timer. The only odd thing is the transmitter doesn't have a power switch yet the receiver does. When not in use I'll either remove the batteries or find a hard case to prevent the shutter button being accidently pressed and draining power.
On the whole though I'm very pleased with it.

Steve.