PDA

View Full Version : HELP! e600 aperture and focus stopped

baldyb
20th May 2011, 03:46 PM
I was just testing an old battery that I'd recharged and stupidly went to change it with the camera switched on :eek::eek:.

Now the aperture doesnt display and the autofocus doesnt work. A quick shot I took to test things is out of focus although the exposure doesnt actually look too bad - but that could be luck.

Is there something I can reset or have I done something far more serious?

Thanks

Ian
20th May 2011, 04:11 PM
I was just testing an old battery that I'd recharged and stupidly went to change it with the camera switched on :eek::eek:.

Now the aperture doesnt display and the autofocus doesnt work. A quick shot I took to test things is out of focus although the exposure doesnt actually look too bad - but that could be luck.

Is there something I can reset or have I done something far more serious?

Thanks

These are classic symptoms of dirty lens mount contacts - it may simply be a coincidence.

Try cleaning the contact pads on the lens and gently wipe the pins on the inside of the lens mount on the camera body.

Ian

baldyb
20th May 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for that Ian, I'll clean them carefully just in case.

As a matter of interest though, I've just turned the camera on again and, fingers crossed, all seems to be ok now so could this also be another instance where changing the battery with the camera switched on (a senior moment:() caused a failure which rectified itself by turning the camera off for a while?

Ian
20th May 2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks for that Ian, I'll clean them carefully just in case.

As a matter of interest though, I've just turned the camera on again and, fingers crossed, all seems to be ok now so could this also be another instance where changing the battery with the camera switched on (a senior moment:() caused a failure which rectified itself by turning the camera off for a while?

I still think it's a dodgy lens contact :)

Might be very marginal and just picking up the camera could have reconnected the pad to the pin :)

Ian

baldyb
20th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Ian - I will defer to your expert opinion, give them a good clean and breath a sigh of relief that no serious damage was apparently done !!

Many thanks *chr