PDA

View Full Version : E 510 IS Noise

Garrie
26th November 2007, 08:28 PM
Hey all,

Just got my new E510 today.

Having a little play with it and I'm a little concerned. With the IS feature switched on the camera makes a funny noise when taking a shout and switching the camera of, its kinda like a harsh buzzing noise, is this normal?

Love the size of the new kit lenses though :D

Cheers
Garrie

Barr1e
26th November 2007, 08:41 PM
Hey all,

Just got my new E510 today.

Having a little play with it and I'm a little concerned. With the IS feature switched on the camera makes a funny noise when taking a shout and switching the camera of, its kinda like a harsh buzzing noise, is this normal?

Love the size of the new kit lenses though :D

Cheers
Garrie

Hi Garrie

Have fun with your new camera.

Yes it does give a buzz when switching off.

Regards. Barr1e

Rod Souter
26th November 2007, 09:00 PM
On mine I have noticed that the noise is accompanied by the lens resetting its focus to infinity.

Rod

Garrie
26th November 2007, 09:16 PM
Cheers for the replies although I get the noise when I'm shooting.

For a test I set the exposure to 2 seconds and took a shot, through out those 2 seconds the camera buzzed with IS turned on, with IS off it didn't make a sound. Is this normal.

Cheers
Garrie

Rod Souter
26th November 2007, 09:26 PM
I have just set mine to a 2s exposure, with IS on, no buzzing noise!

Rod

Garrie
26th November 2007, 09:44 PM
hmm bummer, my new camera maybe bust, gutted. Wonder if its an easy repair or should I send it back?

theMusicMan
26th November 2007, 10:30 PM
Great purchase Garrie - the E-510 is a super camera in my opinion. I've had mine for several months now and love it - still getting the E-3 though :)

Pete_VN52
26th November 2007, 10:52 PM
Mine buzzes on longer exposures too - it's just the IS doing its thing, nothing to worry about :)

beardedwombat
27th November 2007, 07:58 AM
Mine buzzes on long exposures too. You can also hear it if you switch on live view and press the IS button. You can see the IS working on the screen for about 2 secs and hear it buzzing. There is nothing wrong with your camera. Enjoy it!
Cheers
Chris

shenstone
28th November 2007, 07:29 PM
I also worried, but it's in the manual (at last somethign vaguely useful in an Olympus manual !).

It's an aspect of the IS system that depends on a number of other settings so it states that you MAY hear and feel some vibration on shutdown