PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E5 Manual Focusing

Naughty Nigel
17th May 2011, 09:31 PM
I have taken my new E5 away with me on a job. I must say I am very pleased with the camera, and I find the viewfinder is much clearer and brighter than on my E1. However, I have run into a problem which I hope somebody can help me with.

I take a lot of technical photographs, where I need to focus manually on the subject concerned. Auto focus sometimes does the job, but more often than not it focuses in the wrong place, so I have become accustomed to focusing manually. However, this is causing two problems:

Firstly; if the camera thinks it is not focusing properly it refuses to take a shot, even though it is what I want.

Secondly; I cannot seem to use the focusing ring on either of the lenses that I have with me (the 14 ~ 54 f 2.8 Mk1, and the 50 mm f2.0 macro). This is particularly worrying, as I have several of the Mk 1 lenses. No matter how much I turn the focusing ring nothing happens, and I cannot seem to get the camera to focus manually. The E1 had a handy switch on the bottom left side of the body to change focusing settings, but I presume the settings on the E5 are hidden deep in the menu somewhere.

Please can somebody point me in the right direction?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

David Morison
17th May 2011, 09:54 PM
You can select, via the menu, to cancel the priority to achieve focus before firing the shutter either in SAF or CAF or both. On my E5 I have assigned the preview button, which I would otherwise not use, to switch from AF to MF and back whenever it suits me. I manual focus more often than not with stationary subjects and I do not have a problem with the 50mm f2, 9-18mm, Leica 14-150mm or the 300mm f2.8 so I am not sure what is causing your situation. I will delve into the manual to see what I can come up with.

David

Nick Temple-Fry
17th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Not got an E-5, but this bit seems to be the same as the E-3.

1) Lens not manually focussing, isn't this because they are focus by wire so the focus ring tells the camera to tell the lens. This only works if MF (or S-AF+MF, C-AF+MF) is selected on the SCP. (P54 of the E-5 manual).

2) Not shooting when it hasn't got focus. This can be altered with rls priority (P54/108 of the manual)

Note - you can also set the fn button to goto MF

(manual at http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_manuals.cfm?prodID=MN4279292)

Nick

vchaney
17th May 2011, 10:28 PM
You'll need to set the focus mode to MF. The camera won't bother checking focus and should just take the shot.

The focus rings become active when in MF or S-AF+MF mode. The camera will try to refocus in the latter.

I have the AEL/AFL button set up to S-AF when in manual mode. I use this to trigger autofocus on the centre point and then manually adjust if necessary. I find it the best of both worlds, AF when I need it but it doesn't get in the way of a manual shot.

Naughty Nigel
18th May 2011, 06:16 AM
Thank you alll for this information. You have just saved my life! :)

It was there all the time but I just didn't know where to look, and of course it doesn't help when you are trying to do a job whilst not looking like an idiot!

I shall now return to the yard to capture the shots that I had difficulty with yesterday. I know I should have taken the E1 with me until I was completely familiar with the new toy, but you know how it is! :)

Ian
18th May 2011, 08:23 AM
Manual focusing, especially when the camera is on a support like a tripod, is by far best done using the live view screen, and if enabled the view will magnify to the chosen AF point for excellent critical focus work.

Ian

stevednp3
18th May 2011, 12:55 PM
Manual focusing, especially when the camera is on a support like a tripod, is by far best done using the live view screen, and if enabled the view will magnify to the chosen AF point for excellent critical focus work.

Ian

This is exactly what I do when using manual focus *yes

Naughty Nigel
18th May 2011, 03:49 PM

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I actually find the focusing screen on the E5 much better than on my E1, and for close-up work with a fast lens the image snaps in and out of focus almost as decisively as on my OM4Ti; and that is some recommendation!

I actually like the focus by wire system on the older lenses, as I can just roll the lens ring with my finger. The later lenses seem to be harder work, but perhaps I should try one again. I do fancy the 12 ~ 60 mm zoom!

I don't particularly like the look of the E5, (the E1 was much sexier in my view), but the handling is superb. The preview screen is also a treat to use after the postage stamp affair on the E1!

Whilst writing, I have two further questions that you may be able to help me with:

Firstly; does anyone know whether the E5 has a wider dynamic range than the E1? It may just be the preview screen, but the dynamic range seems much better to me.

Secondly; I have both a compact flash card (8 GB) and a SD card (4 GB) installed. I have set the camera to write both ORF and JPG files from each image. Is it possible direct the raw files to one card and the JPG files to the other, or can I only use one card at any one time?

Ian
18th May 2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks Ian.

I actually find the focusing screen on the E5 much better than on my E1, and for close-up work with a fast lens the image snaps in and out of focus almost as decisively as on my OM4Ti; and that is some recommendation!

I actually like the focus by wire system on the older lenses, as I can just roll the lens ring with my finger. The later lenses seem to be harder work, but perhaps I should try one again. I do fancy the 12 ~ 60 mm zoom!

I don't particularly like the look of the E5, (the E1 was much sexier in my view), but the handling is superb. The preview screen is also a treat to use after the postage stamp affair on the E1!

Whilst writing, I have two further questions that you may be able to help me with:

Firstly; does anyone know whether the E5 has a wider dynamic range than the E1? It may just be the preview screen, but the dynamic range seems much better to me.

Secondly; I have both a compact flash card (8 GB) and a SD card (4 GB) installed. I have set the camera to write both ORF and JPG files from each image. Is it possible direct the raw files to one card and the JPG files to the other, or can I only use one card at any one time?

I haven't seen any lab measurements of dynamic range comparing the E-5 and E-1. In theory, the E-1 should have the wider dynamic range because its photosites are much larger. This is for two reasons: a) with on 5 megapixels compare to 12, each photosite covers a greater area and the photosite wells should be able to collect more photons. More photons means more dynamic range potential. b) The E-1 has a full frame transfer CCD, so there is very efficient use of the sensor surface area. But noise is an issue with the E-1's Sensor and so the signal to noise ratio is not very good, especially at moderate to high ISOs. Maybe I'll have to do more comparison images! :)

It's not possible to tell the camera on which card to store which type of camera image file, sorry.

Ian

Naughty Nigel
19th May 2011, 07:40 AM
I haven't seen any lab measurements of dynamic range comparing the E-5 and E-1. In theory, the E-1 should have the wider dynamic range because its photosites are much larger. This is for two reasons: a) with on 5 megapixels compare to 12, each photosite covers a greater area and the photosite wells should be able to collect more photons. More photons means more dynamic range potential. b) The E-1 has a full frame transfer CCD, so there is very efficient use of the sensor surface area. But noise is an issue with the E-1's Sensor and so the signal to noise ratio is not very good, especially at moderate to high ISOs. Maybe I'll have to do more comparison images! :)

Ian

That is interesting. I hadn't thought of dynamic range in those terms.

What puzzles me is that to my eye, my Canon PowerShot G11 has a dynamic range at least as wide as the E1, and yet is has a much smaller sensor. I don't know how much influence the optics have over this, (I am sure the Zuiko lenses will have much higher contrast), and how much the dynamic range can be extended by clever software in the camera.

Ian
19th May 2011, 09:51 AM
That is interesting. I hadn't thought of dynamic range in those terms.

What puzzles me is that to my eye, my Canon PowerShot G11 has a dynamic range at least as wide as the E1, and yet is has a much smaller sensor. I don't know how much influence the optics have over this, (I am sure the Zuiko lenses will have much higher contrast), and how much the dynamic range can be extended by clever software in the camera.

DxOMark tests indicate that the G11 has about half and EV more dynamic range than an E-3 at its lowest ISO setting (ISO 80 compared to ISO 100 on the E-3), despite the fact that its sensor is less than a quarter of the area of the E-3's with a similar number of pixels. But past ISO 200 that advantage is gone.

However, the G11 has far inferior signal to noise performance, so much of the dynamic range will be affected by noise.

At low ISOs I'd be very surprised if the usable dynamic range of the E-1 was lower than an E-3.

Ian