PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Instant Spot (or any other metering) on Fn key press

theMusicMan
5th April 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi All

Credit to Chillimonster for identifying this and initially pointing this out to me. :)

Instant 'Spot Metering' (or any other of choice) on Fn or AEL key

I was reminded today of a very useful tip for quickly amending the metering used when taking a shot. I find it useful when for example, I am shooting birds then have to look up to the sky and get a bird correctly exposed, but often, as I use Center Weighted metering by default, the image of the bird itself is then underexposed because the camera exposes for the sky.

So, I set the AEL button to instantly change to Spot metering mode, then I have also swapped the Fn -> AEL buttons over so that when I need to take a shot into the sky, I simultaneously press the Fn button and get Spot metering to take effect and the bird is then correctly exposed.

To enable this feature:

Menu -> Spanner1 -> Small Spanner E (EXP/Metering/ISO) -> AEL Metering -> Select metering of choice

Then if you want this to take effect when you press the Fn key, simply enable the feature to swap them over (sorry, can't remember where that is just now).

Hope this helps some... enjoy.*chr

Rens
6th April 2008, 10:37 AM
Good tip. I'll try it. At the moment I've allocated the fn button to one touch white balance, but I'm not using it much.

Of course, there should be a way of enabling one touch white balance without tying up the fn key. Maybe in a future firmware upgrade.

Rens

Chillimonster
6th April 2008, 12:22 PM
Nice one john...

Reminds me of the one i posted on boxing day ;)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=437

theMusicMan
6th April 2008, 12:27 PM
Damn Chris... it was a post somewhere by you that reminded me of where I first saw this which was on 4/3 photo - the US site.

My apologies sir... the credit for this should go to you.

Chillimonster
6th April 2008, 12:36 PM
Damn Chris... it was a post somewhere by you that reminded me of where I first saw this which was on 4/3 photo - the US site.

My apologies sir... the credit for this should go to you.

No credit due matey, :p not my tip, but it would be nice if all tips were in the same place, makes it easier to print out and digest at a later date,

Chris