PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinders

weecountyman
15th May 2011, 02:59 PM
I need advice and guidance please on (possibily) buying a viewfinder for the E-PL1.

After having used an E400 DSLR for a few years now I can't get used to not having a viewfinder.

Is the VF-1 (optical) viewfinder OK for general use, or does one need the VF-2 (electronic) version ?

The latter is an expensive item and I balk at the cost if it's not necessary.

From reading reviews etc., I get the impression the VF-1 is intended for the wide angled Zuiko 17mm lens only ?

If that's the case, not much point in buying it for the 14-42 or 40-150 which I have ?

Ian
15th May 2011, 04:34 PM
I need advice and guidance please on (possibily) buying a viewfinder for the E-PL1.

After having used an E400 DSLR for a few years now I can't get used to not having a viewfinder.

Is the VF-1 (optical) viewfinder OK for general use, or does one need the VF-2 (electronic) version ?

The latter is an expensive item and I balk at the cost if it's not necessary.

From reading reviews etc., I get the impression the VF-1 is intended for the wide angled Zuiko 17mm lens only ?

If that's the case, not much point in buying it for the 14-42 or 40-150 which I have ?

Yes, the VF-1 is designed for use with the 17mm pancake. It's not very wide, equivalent an old-style 35mm focal length lens for a 35mm film camera.

It's not suitable for zoom lenses.

The VF-2 is, in my opinion, very good. I would advise you to try and find one in a shop and see for yourself. Remember to adjust the diopter for your personal requirement - rotate the rubberised ring around the eyepiece until the view is clearest.

Ian

StephenL
15th May 2011, 04:58 PM
The VF-2 is indeed superb. I found mine indispensible, although as it came as a kit with the E-P2 cost didn't really come into it. And if you intend to use legacy lenses and manual focus, well you simply cannot be without the finder.

I've just bought a Panasonic LVF-1 for my GF1. Still just as essential, but streets below the Olympus in terms of image quality.

weecountyman
15th May 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks - that's confirmed what I need.

Andrew Riddell
15th May 2011, 08:48 PM
Another vote for the VF-2 - I wouldn't have bought my EP-2 without it. Also a further suggestion - get the larger eyecup (EP-9) as well. It really helps in bright light and makes it much easier to see the viewfinder information. I think it should have come as standard, but what do I know about marketing :rolleyes:

Andrew

Greytop
16th May 2011, 07:50 AM
Another thumbs up for the VF-2 here :)

This thread may be of some help http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14521

biggerbr
29th October 2011, 10:06 PM
I was very dubious as to whether I needed a VF2 but having tried my brother's I have now taken the plunge and bought one. It really does make a difference and is particularly useful in bright sunlight when you can't see the screen.