PDA

View Full Version : Elements 6 question

Scapula Memory
3rd April 2008, 08:49 PM
Probably having a blond moment here but how do I set Elements 6 to start up in browser mode? Currently starts up in edit mode and I cannot see anything in the preferences to change this :confused:

Ta for any help

OlyPaul
4th April 2008, 03:53 PM
If your in the editor go to Window > Welcome then when the welcome screen shows change your preference in the drop down menu in the bottom lefthand corner.

Scapula Memory
5th April 2008, 02:34 AM
Paul,

Thank you very much. That worked. Maybe it is time for some new glasses:D

Haisbro
5th April 2008, 06:30 AM
Paul,

Thank you very much. That worked. Maybe it is time for some new glasses:D

I am thinking about buying 6, i do have CS2 but find RAW processing and renaming/sorting a drag. Really would appreciate some feedback on these issues.

David

Scapula Memory
5th April 2008, 07:04 AM
Still early days to judge it at the moment Dave, only just got it. Will try out the raw in E6. Usually I would use S2 which is slow but good for raw.

Not used the browser properly yet but hoping to sort and tag later. Wonder if Paul or anyone else has any comments on E6?

OlyPaul
5th April 2008, 08:28 AM
Still early days to judge it at the moment Dave, only just got it. Will try out the raw in E6. Usually I would use S2 which is slow but good for raw.

Not used the browser properly yet but hoping to sort and tag later. Wonder if Paul or anyone else has any comments on E6?

As I have been beta testing Elements since version 3 for Adobe I think I can claim to know a bit about it.:)

Ok the raw converter is missing a few tabs that are in CS2, but to be honest these are features I rarely used in CS2 and the raw converter in PSE6 has a lot more usefull and better features than CS2.

I think its a testerment to PSE6 that since I finished beta testing it I have use it in preference to CS2 or the other raw converters I have. The workflow using the organizer and editor particually suit my workflow style even better than lightroom for me, but of course everyones milage will vary. All the image in my 4/3rds and pbase gallery have been processed with this software.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask. :)

Haisbro
5th April 2008, 09:11 AM
As I have been beta testing Elements since version 3 for Adobe I think I can claim to know a bit about it.:)

Ok the raw converter is missing a few tabs that are in CS2, but to be honest these are features I rarely used in CS2 and the raw converter in PSE6 has a lot more usefull and better features than CS2.

I think its a testerment to PSE6 that since I finished beta testing it I have use it in preference to CS2 or the other raw converters I have. The workflow using the organizer and editor particually suit my workflow style even better than lightroom for me, but of course everyones milage will vary. All the image in my 4/3rds and pbase gallery have been processed with this software.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask. :)

My workflow is very disjointed and if i don't get organised it will cause me problems in the future. PSE6 seems to fit the bill for my usage, a one stop shop as it were.

David

andym
5th April 2008, 09:22 AM
I too have recently got PSE6.Does the Raw convertor support the E3.It works fine for my E1 but does not recognise the E3 files,do I need to download something???
At the moment am using Silkypix as my Raw convetor but would be interested to try another especially as David said it can give you a one stop shop.

OlyPaul
5th April 2008, 02:06 PM
I too have recently got PSE6.Does the Raw convertor support the E3.It works fine for my E1 but does not recognise the E3 files,do I need to download something???
At the moment am using Silkypix as my Raw convetor but would be interested to try another especially as David said it can give you a one stop shop.

Yes you need to download and install the latest raw converter from here
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3896

To install it make sure PSE6 is closed down, then you need to unzip it then copy the raw plugin 88BI File.

Then go to Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop Elements 6 > Plug-Ins > File Formats and Delete/ or move the Camera Raw file, then paste the new Camera Raw File into the plug-Ins Folder..job done

andym
5th April 2008, 02:48 PM
Yes you need to download and install the latest raw converter from here
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3896

To install it make sure PSE6 is closed down, then you need to unzip it then copy the raw plugin 88BI File.

Then go to Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop Elements 6 > Plug-Ins > File Formats and Delete/ or move the Camera Raw file, then paste the new Camera Raw File into the plug-Ins Folder..job done

Thank you Paul,works a treat.I'll give it a go later.

Doug H
5th April 2008, 06:06 PM
Paul, in response to your kind offer, may I ask you a couple of questions question re E6:

I currently use mostly Lightroom + Elements 3 but I only ever use the Editor - I detested the organiser part so much that I finally deleted its .exe file to stop E3 wasting so much time in automatically updating it.
Can I do the same with E6 or at least switch it off permanently?

Secondly, does E6 handle 16bit images any better than E3 - I don't feel inclined to go to CS3 when E3 has been ok for me most of the time - but it is now showing its age.

Thanks
Doug

OlyPaul
6th April 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Doug
Strangley enough I prefere the Organizer and dislike Lightroom but yes you can disable it like before.*yes

Yes it is a big upgrade on 3 on there are lot of extra tools since 3 and a few more tools straight out of CS3 and a couple that it has not got.

16 bit mode has been increased for a few more functions as well, all in all its a worth while upgrade in my opinion. :)

steverh
6th April 2008, 09:22 PM
I have PS CS1 and I am wondering if I'm better off upgrading it or getting E6.

Any thoughts in general? I don't do as much RAW as I probably should. I looked at Lightroom but I think it's overkill for me.

OlyPaul
6th April 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm not going to tell you what to do but PSE6 is about 69 and CS3 upgrade 170.

I have not felt the need to upgrade my CS2 and mostly use PSE6. I have not felt the need to fire up CS2 for quite a while now , but its there in the unlikely event if i need it for something more advanced like using Alpha masks etc.

So for 60 you get some new features that are not in CS1 and a good dam program as well if you do not have one (and still have Cs1 to fall back on) or you can go with CS3 the choice is yours.:)

steverh
6th April 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm not going to tell you what to do but PSE6 is about 69 and CS3 upgrade 170.

I have not felt the need to upgrade my CS2 and mostly use PSE6. I have not felt the need to fire up CS2 for quite a while now , but its there in the unlikely event if i need it for something more advanced like using Alpha masks etc.

So for 60 you get some new features that are not in CS1 and a good dam program as well if you do not have one (and still have Cs1 to fall back on) or you can go with CS3 the choice is yours.:)

That sounds like my general impression based on what I've read.

For 95% of what I'm likely to do, PSE6 is probably good enough and more accessible than PS.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scapula Memory
7th April 2008, 06:04 AM
The ACR update site was down for a few days, now it is up with version 4.4

Doug H
7th April 2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Doug
Strangley enough I prefere the Organizer and dislike Lightroom but yes you can disable it like before.*yes

Yes it is a big upgrade on 3 on there are lot of extra tools since 3 and a few more tools straight out of CS3 and a couple that it has not got.

16 bit mode has been increased for a few more functions as well, all in all its a worth while upgrade in my opinion. :)

Thanks Paul - your reply has done something none of the reviews I saw on PSE4/5/6 made me do - reach for my credit card!
Doug