PDA

View Full Version : Cokin... Lee... Hoya... what do you use

francois
10th May 2011, 11:25 AM
Up to now, I've mostly used filters from Hoya, bog-standard screw (PL and NDs), with my digital cameras as I cannot use the huge amount of Cokin A filters I used to play with with the OM system, too small really.

It makes sense to start thinking about buying an evolutive and adaptable system again, so I'm thinking about either Cokin P or Lee Filters. The latter are more expensive filters but I read many a good thing about Lee, although Cokin filters aren't bad either.

Cokin P or Lee, what's your take on this?

Thanks.

StephenL
10th May 2011, 11:59 AM
HiTech - a good in-between.

Grumpy Hec
10th May 2011, 12:06 PM
yep - I've got NDG hard and soft plus a circ pol and all are good. the holder is very solid and well engineered and should last a life time and takes Lee filters should you decide to spend more at a later date.

stoates
10th May 2011, 12:49 PM
Like Stephen I use Hitech NDs and ND grads in a Cokin P size holder. The holder does the job but being plastic I have found it has started to distort slightly at the front making the hoods a little loose. For that reason I would recommend getting a metal holder.

I also have a Kood CPL which fits the same holder. It could just be me but I often feel that the polarising effect of this isn't particularly great even when used in the optimum direction. Certainly not as apparent as my old Cokin linear polariser.

There is a good review of ND grads in this months Advanced Photographer which covers most of the major brands.

Zuiko
10th May 2011, 01:00 PM
HiTech - a good in-between.

That's just what I was going to say. Better than Cokin but cheaper than Lee.

francois
10th May 2011, 03:53 PM
I read that article in Amateur Photographer, and others from previous issues, which is what got me thinking.

I've grabbed a cheap Lee Filters foundation kit so I will try some HiTech filters.

Thanks.

Ian
10th May 2011, 04:41 PM
I have a Cokin wide angle holder and only have ND grads - but it seems to work well, even on the 9-18.

Ian