PDA

View Full Version : E-5 Noise Filter Setting

graham_jester
10th May 2011, 09:27 AM
Given the six months, or so, experience that now exists in this group, I'm interested to find out about what Noise Filter setting is generally being used.
The manual suggests 'Standard' for general use and 'High' during high sensitivity shooting.
However, I do read comments on various websites suggesting the use of 'Low', or even 'Off'.
To date, I've left it set at 'Standard' and now invariably use the OOC JPEGs, with minor processing in Adobe LR3.
Previously with the E-520 and then the E-30, I had the NF set to 'Low' and always used RAW.
Now reviewing all of my E-5 images, I can see occasional ones that seem slightly 'over smoothed' and so I'm now thinking of moving to a 'Low' setting, to see if I can spot an improvement, or no real difference.
Thanks for your help............
Graham

Chevvyf1
10th May 2011, 09:50 AM
I posted a website Robin ?someone? I think, ... on this subject here in E-5, Apr or May this year. He suggests OFF and says why in it

Ian
10th May 2011, 10:00 AM
The noise filter has no effect on RAW files unless your RAW processing software detects the setting and implements it. Olympus Viewer 2 probably does, but's reversible at any time.

The Noise Filter is primarily for in-camera JPEGs. Standard does apply smoothing and for many it's fine, but for more critical work and if you use JPEGs you may wish to switch to LOW or OFF and then manage the smoothing yourself.

Ian

CallaWolf
10th May 2011, 11:15 AM
The noise filter has no effect on RAW files unless your RAW processing software detects the setting and implements it. Olympus Viewer 2 probably does, but's reversible at any time.

The Noise Filter is primarily for in-camera JPEGs. Standard does apply smoothing and for many it's fine, but for more critical work and if you use JPEGs you may wish to switch to LOW or OFF and then manage the smoothing yourself.

Ian

I agree

To be honest, the noise (lumins and color) reduction tools in the latest Adobe Camera Raw (6.3+) are SO good, I don't feel the need to use anything else (I shoot in RAW).