PDA

View Full Version : Tripod recommendations

Swordfish
9th May 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm in the market for a new tripod to replace my very old Cobra unit. I'm looking for the probably impossible combination of stability, light weight, small folded size and low level capability for macro work. There are a lot of tripods on the market but I wondered if anyone out there has good experiences of any of them. The greatest weight it would bear is probably an E620 + 50-200mm + EC14 - say 3Kg all up.

Any views gratefully received

Cheers

shenstone
9th May 2011, 08:11 PM
The standard reply is "the sturdiest you are willing to carry" it makes a difference in how willing you are to lean 2k's worth of gear on it without worrying.

In terms of make - I use manfrotto heads so all my Quick Release plates fit on all the tripods, but underneath that is a right mess of options.

For Ultra small (which may work with the light weight low level macro needs you mention) and travel, I have a Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5968426/Velbon-Ultra-Maxi-Mini-Tripod/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:5968426%7Cprd :5968426 which has been a real delight to use and is really simple to use, but has a max height of only 48cm I gave away the head that came with it and use one of my manfrotto ones.

My other base units are manfrotto, Silk, and 2 really old ones with no names on them

So my advice ... buy a main manufacturer head system that's an investment... the rest - pick up what you can whenever as long as it's sturdy make doesn't matter

Regards
Andy

Homer Simpson
9th May 2011, 08:16 PM
I have one that matches your preferences - except lightweight it ain't.

Its a 20 year old Benbo and its brilliant for macro!

If you want to give it a try out PM me.

Greytop
9th May 2011, 10:09 PM
You could do far worse than consider one of the Redsnapper tripods http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/Supports_And_Head_Combo_s.html, very well built and finished, particularly when you consider the ticket price.

I've had my RS-284 & RSH-12 Ball Head for some while now and couldn't be more pleased with it.

vchaney
9th May 2011, 10:14 PM
I've just ordered a 3leggedthing eddie. It's probably overkill and the smaller Brian might be better for your needs. Look good for getting low as well as packing up small.

crimbo
9th May 2011, 10:26 PM
I have one that matches your preferences - except lightweight it ain't.

Its a 20 year old Benbo and its brilliant for macro!

If you want to give it a try out PM me.

Such a youngster...mine is over 30yo and I recommend Benbos to anybody who will listen...there are light weight versions...think about it ... they really are the best kept secret in tripods

Grumpy Hec
10th May 2011, 06:57 AM
The Threeleggedthing route looks good on the lightweight stakes. Brian would certainly fit the bill and comes with a nice looking head if you need it.

They do come at a price though.

I hope to get one before too many moons have been and gone as my previous generation Manfrotto 190 Prob, bough on eBay, is very heavy although OK for macro work at home and in the garden where that number of Kg is quite useful.

Hec

Wreckdiver
10th May 2011, 08:45 AM
Well, I've just bought myself some Manfrotto gear: 055CXPRO3 CF tripod, 498RC2 ball head and an 808RC4 three way head. Absolutely gorgeous stuff and very solid indeed.

A few years ago I went into a local camera store with the intention of getting a Manfrotto tripod, the guy there sold me cheaper Slik model. I've been using it for years but just wasn't up to the job so I was determined to get Manfrotto this time. I just wish I'd not been swayed by the sales guy. I've learnt that it's cheaper in the long run to get the best you can afford.

Steve