PDA

View Full Version : What program mode do you use

ozzie
9th May 2011, 05:22 AM
I am interested to know what most set their program mode to.
I have used manual for 99% of my shots but a lot seem to use aperture pirioty any advantages?

David Morison
9th May 2011, 06:30 AM
Almost entirely aperture priority. This is because with most of the shots I take I'm happy with the performance of my lenses fully open and a lot of the subjects suit the fastest shutter speed available so IS can be off. It also is suitable for Macro work so I can use a small aperture for max. DoF.

David

Danny
9th May 2011, 07:08 AM
Mostly aperture priority for the birds and wildlife, but sometimes from hides I'll be lazy and go program mode, but keep control of the ISO and ev and maybe shift the program either way according to shots.

Manual always for the macro work, so I cna get the flash syncs right and the f stop I want

Danny

snaarman
9th May 2011, 07:18 AM
I use Aperture priority and keep an eye on the shutter speed. Centre wight metering. Very Old Skool, me.

Ross the fiddler
9th May 2011, 08:03 AM
Mostly AP with Digital ESP metering & spot metering from AEL button when needed. Occasionally I will use Manual Mode for known consistant shots.

Wreckdiver
9th May 2011, 08:43 AM
Depends on what I am shooting, if I need to act quickly I will use one of the semi-auto modes. Manual predominately though, especially on static subjects where I can take my time and get the exposure accurate. Also, I tend to use auto focusing and manual focusing in the same situations.

Steve

David M
9th May 2011, 09:27 AM
I use Aperture priority and keep an eye on the shutter speed. Centre wight metering. Very Old Skool, me.

Same here. I don't think I've ever taken any dSLR off AP. The only time I've shot manual in the past 20+ years is when using my OM1.

Ian
9th May 2011, 09:58 AM
Yes, by default the camea is on Aperture Priority for me. I want to control the aperture, either to put it in the sweet spot for the lens, or to control depth of field (either to maximise it, especially for product photography, or to minimuse for good bokeh).

I hardly every use P or Shutter Priority. I also prefer to use manual for flash and let the flash itself adjust power automatically via TTL metering, or use manual flash power. When using flash I will often vary the shutter speed in order to balance the ambient light with the light from the flash.

You may be surprised to hear that I do occasionally use iAuto (intelligent auto) modes on some camera - especially compacts that have little user-control. iAuto modes usually try to identify the type of scene and set the camera appropriately. It can be hit and miss, but usually the results are better than I expect. It's also handy to use such a mode if you need a grab shot and there is no time to set the camera up.

Ian

ozzie
9th May 2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback , up until I got the Bigma manual mode has been right for me, landscape being my choice, but I have missed some possible good chances with wildlife because I was spinning the shutter dial frantically trying to get exposure. I think AP mode with the front dial set for exposure comp. would be better. looking foward to try this
John

Chevvyf1
9th May 2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback , up until I got the Bigma manual mode has been right for me, landscape being my choice, but I have missed some possible good chances with wildlife because I was spinning the shutter dial frantically trying to get exposure. I think AP mode with the front dial set for exposure comp. would be better. looking foward to try this
John

Aperture for me too; some M and F.10 for BIGMA!

Nick Temple-Fry
9th May 2011, 12:11 PM
Aperture priority for me, ISO set to auto unless I want to crank up shutter speed for a particular reason.

Mind you there is nothing 'wrong' in using a pre-set scene mode if the camera has them, they are no different really from a mymode setting. As long as you understand why you are using those settings and how they 'make' the image.

Nick

Wee man
9th May 2011, 01:10 PM
Another A user with changes to M when taking other shots such as pano's.

Bikie John
9th May 2011, 01:42 PM
Similar here. When snapping sport or live music, aperture priority and lens wide open or close to it. Watch the shutter speed and up the ISO if it's getting a bit low. Manual for panoramas (let's be honest, one panorama because that's all I've ever done) or other special cases.

I have wondered about setting aperture and speed and letting auto ISO adjust accordingly but never had the confidence to do it. Snapping rugby on Saturday (in Snaar territory - Baarkshire) we alternated between bright sun and heavy cloud so I was swapping ISO all the time and sometimes closing down the aperture when it got really bright. Even worse, The Good Guys were wearing white shirts so with the sun out I really needed a bit of minus exposure comp to stop them burning out, but didn't really get that sorted until doing a group shot at the end.

Ciao ... John

Seonnaidh
9th May 2011, 09:48 PM
Aperture Priority as default, like Iain said it's nice to get the best from your lenses.
However sometimes doing landscapes I'll use Manual.

I can't remember the last time I used Shutter Priority.

Zuiko
10th May 2011, 08:01 AM
As Nick said it doesn't really matter what mode you use as long as you understand what the camera is doing and know that's it's right for your requirements.

I still use manual sometimes for landscapes, particularly when using graduated filters. In those situations I use a Pentax spotmeter.

Sometimes, when taking birds in flight or motor sports for instance, I set manual for the lens wide open and the shutter speed I want, then let the camera adjust the exposure through Auto ISO. Would you call that Auto, Manual, of Program?

Most the time I use Aperture Priority for the reasons Ian gave, with evaluative metering as it's so darn good. If the light is very harsh and contrasty I sometimes autobracket 3 frames +/- 0.7 at 5fps. Obviously that doesn't work if the subject needs 5fps!

Greytop
10th May 2011, 09:07 AM
Another aperture priority favourer here, again for the same reasons Ian mentioned.
On the odd occasion I use shutter priority for action shots and very very occasionally manual. My metering preference varies depending on the subject, conditions etc.

Falk
11th May 2011, 11:40 PM
AP is always set on my cameras. In rare circumstances I switch to full manual, but all the other "programs" available - well, I think, I've never ever used them at all ...!?!