PDA

View Full Version : Cost of repair for 50-200 non SWD

gazza95
7th May 2011, 06:21 PM
Does anybody have any idea what the standard repair cost is for a MK I 50-200? Mine seems to have decided to become blurred down right handside. Nothing broken looks more like a case of clean and adjust ( hopefully ! ).

Gary

Wee man
7th May 2011, 10:28 PM
I got this as detail from Olympus do not know if non SWD would be the same.

Hope this helps.

Please find the repair costs below inclusive of VAT.

E-30 - £173.31

12-60mm SWD lens - £135.13

50-200mm SWD lens - £135.13

Should you wish to return the items for repair we suggest that you forward it to us under the following conditions.

Please send the items only, without any accessories such as batteries, chargers, leads, etc. unless specifically requested to do so by a member of Olympus staff. Package it to Post Office standards and forward it by secure post, (such as Registered Post or Special Delivery) or courier to the following address;

Olympus Service
Goods In 4
The Cordwainers
Temple Farm Industrial Estate
Southend on Sea
Essex
SS2 5RU

Enclose a brief description of the fault, either in letter form, including your return address, or by downloading the Repair Form from the Olympus website.

Before posting, ensure that you have recorded the itemís serial number, and keep it for your own records as a means of tracing the item.

Please note that we do not undertake any repairs until such time as payment is received. This we can accept by either cheque or credit card.

Should the repair costs be refused, an administrative charge of £15 will be made to cover the return of your equipment un-repaired.

catkins
7th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Similar story here for a squealing autofocus motor in a 12-60mm SWD lens

The Service Estimate states that "Our service has examined your equipment and recommend that the AUTOFOCUS SYSTEM ASSEMBLY requires attention."

And for the repair of this they quote a charge of NET £115 VAT £23.00 TOTAL £138.00
Payment of this would need to reach Olympus with 21 days.

Problem was fixed and one quiet lens now being enjoyed!

Regards

Wreckdiver
7th May 2011, 11:24 PM
I had one that was repaired by Olympus (non SWD), cost approx £130 which included return postage. That was about a year ago.

Steve

peak4
7th May 2011, 11:38 PM
I can't comment on the cost as my 50-200mm was repaired under warranty last year.
My E-3, 300mm and a couple of other lenses are currently in Portugal, with the 300mm continuing on to a holiday in Japan.

The main thing though, is that the address has been changed since Wee Man's reply.
It's now handled by DHL in Nottingham.
The address is on the repair form HERE (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/downloads/Repair-Form.pdf) which you need to fill in and enclose with the lens. Why they have to do is as a pdf I don't know. You need to print it out and enter the details in your finest handwriting.

My stuff hasn't come back yet, but the service so far has been brilliant.
It was going to cost serious money to send the package to DHL in Nottingham by DHL in Sheffield
£22.95 uninsured or £176 with insurance for the 40 miles from Sheffield to Nottingham. :eek:
I took it down by car and handed it over personally to a friendly and helpful chap at the DHL Olympus service hub. It went on that nights air freight to Portugal; I got an e-mail confirming receipt the following day. The second day I received a phone call from Oly in Southend asking how I'd like to proceed with the job.
In my book that's stunning service from Olympus.

Hopefully the repair and return will go as smoothly.

gazza95
8th May 2011, 06:21 AM
many thanks guys. The £130 sounds very familiar as I had had an E-1 and FL50r play this game. Glad to know it is similar standard price to otther items.

I did take the E-1 to Hemel office and they sent it on. For the FL50r DHL drop off packaging and picked it up all within cost if I remember correctly

Oly service certainly does get stuff working again although I find the 4 week turnaround they seem to take a bit excessive.

Gary

DerekW
8th May 2011, 11:39 AM
Re the PDF file - you can type onto the document using Preview Text tool or the Typewriter tool in Acrobat reader so you can protect the recipient from your shaky handwriting and also file a copy of the document on your computer as well as print out the completed document.

peak4
8th May 2011, 12:24 PM
Re the PDF file - you can type onto the document using Preview Text tool or the Typewriter tool in Acrobat reader so you can protect the recipient from your shaky handwriting and also file a copy of the document on your computer as well as print out the completed document.

Thanks Derek, Hadn't spotted that as I don't use Adobe Reader :o

DerekW
8th May 2011, 05:37 PM
The proper solution for the PDF form would be to have it designed properly so that it had insertion fields that enable users to type the text directly into the form.

National Rail have managed to do it correctly with the application form for the Senior Rail Card see
http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/buy-senior-railcard/where-to-buy-your-railcard

and select download the form to see how you can enter the data directly into the data entry parts of the form.

In fact this is an object lesson for any one responsible for issuing PDF data collection forms.

gazza95
9th May 2011, 03:38 PM
Form downloaded and lens dispatched. 150mm f2 lens hired, hope I don't like it too much :)

sapper
9th May 2011, 09:07 PM

I cannot find the typewriter tool in Acrobat reader, where is it?

catkins
9th May 2011, 09:49 PM
I cannot find the typewriter tool in Acrobat reader, where is it?

If need be download the free Nitro pdf Reader at http://www.nitropdf.com/free/index.htm
On the 'Tasks' tab there is an icon for 'Type Text', click this, insert cursor at the correct position and hopefully "Bob's your uncle"!

Regards

Chris

DerekW
9th May 2011, 09:51 PM
Sorry - it is in Acrobat under Tools

peak4
9th May 2011, 09:53 PM
My E-3, 300mm and a couple of other lenses are currently in Portugal, with the 300mm continuing on to a holiday in Japan.

My stuff hasn't come back yet, but the service so far has been brilliant.

I took it down by car and handed it over personally to a friendly and helpful chap at the DHL Olympus service hub. It went on that nights air freight to Portugal; I got an e-mail confirming receipt the following day. The second day I received a phone call from Oly in Southend asking how I'd like to proceed with the job.
In my book that's stunning service from Olympus.

Hopefully the repair and return will go as smoothly.

Well I handed the parcel in to Nottingham DHL last Tuesday afternoon.
The repaired E-3, 14-54 & 11-22mm arrived back at my home this morning (Monday).
One lens was adjusted, the other had the transport mechanism replaced; I only sent them in for a check up, as there was spare room in the Doskosil case. I'd not actually realised there was an issue with either.
The E-3 had the whole top cover replaced rather than just the corroded hot shoe contact. They also replaced the shutter due to an "exposure fault", again I'd not realised there was a problem and put any errors down to my own incompetence :o
All turned round in less than a week.
A big thankyou to Olympus; it really is stunning service. *chr

I'll report on what happened to the 300mm on my original thread upon its return from Japan.
I've been warned that will be 7 or 8 weeks, which is fair enough.

gazza95
13th May 2011, 08:41 PM
Seems you go the timing right Bill. My Lens arrives at DHL Tuesday and so far Oly not even acknoledging receipt in Portugual. Folks in Southend are saying ring back next week just to check its arrived. :(

Good news is that hired 150mm arrived today and seems rather nice :)

catkins
13th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Seems you go the timing right Bill. My Lens arrives at DHL Tuesday and so far Oly not even acknoledging receipt in Portugual. Folks in Southend are saying ring back next week just to check its arrived. :(

Good news is that hired 150mm arrived today and seems rather nice :)

I seem to remember no receipt or contact from Portugal, but instead I rang Southend and they confirmed receipt. Otherwise all went well and within their allocated timescale, and one healthy lens returned a few weeks later.
For reassurance in these days of couriers not delivering to the right location or forgetting to leave notes, it would be good costumer relations for Oly to acknowledge receipt by email or text message, and to confirm when an item has been dispatched, but other than that I was very pleased with the service.

Regards
Chris

gazza95
20th May 2011, 08:42 PM
Well just to update this.

£138 to replace transport mechanism and all is looking good again.
Took them 3 phone calls to actually admit they had it an then three days to fix and return. Much better than when E-1 went in for repair.

Gary