PDA

View Full Version : eGroup Meetup Meeting in the Highlands?

Seonnaidh
7th May 2011, 05:31 PM
Not wishing to hi jack another thread I thought I might suggest that all of us 'Highlanders' meet up sometime soon.
Perhaps;
(a) Somewhere photogenic*yes:
(b) Somewhere mutually convenient.*yes
(c) Somewhere with inside facilities just in case it rains.:(

Do we throw the meeting open to non highlanders?
I gather from this forum that most of them are not too bad. :D:D:D;)

stoates
7th May 2011, 06:01 PM
Do we throw the meeting open to non highlanders?
I gather from this forum that most of them are not too bad. :D:D:D;)[/quote]

Seonnaidh, I am definitely interested - that is of is of course if I meet your entry criteria! I am along in Findhorn, Moray but thanks to my IV postcode am classed as being in the Highlands and have to pay the ridiculous excess postage charge whenever I get anything delivered!

JackBenedict
7th May 2011, 06:54 PM
What do you mean non highlanders ? - I will have you know that although I live in the land of fire eating dragons and rugby playing wizards, I was brought up in Oykel Bridge,in Northern Scotland.LOL

Good luck with any proposed meet,wish I could be there - just a wee bit far to travel.

IainMacD
7th May 2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Seonnaidh
I was in Ffordes at about 2:30-3:00pm. I actually live in Drumnadrochit, but work in Inverness and had the afternoon off.
I would definitely be interested in a meet sometime, I haven't been to Skye yet this year, but would also be very happy to meet anywhere in the Highlands if we can find a few other interested parties (Steve & Jamie). Weekends would be the best bet for me.
Iain
p.s. are you any good at guaranteeing the weather?:D

Seonnaidh
7th May 2011, 08:31 PM
Well then lads and lassies?
It looks like it's a goer.
Iain seems to be up for it and so does Steve. If Jamie climbs on board then there will be four.

Highlander by definition for this thread; any one who may have travelled north of Pitlochry, anyone actually living north of Pitlochry, any one who has ever wanted to live or go on holiday north of Pitlochry, any one who can spell Pitlochry and own, or have in their possession an Olympus 4/3rds type camera.
Easy!

I was in Ffordes in the morning.
I will have to go again to give Alisdair some grief. Lord knows he deserves it.

theMusicMan
7th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Well I tell you what Seonnaidh, I am going to look into how long it takes to get to Skye from here (South Wales) and if this is do-able... well, we'll see :)

theMusicMan
7th May 2011, 08:48 PM
PS: what area should I look in for B&B...?

stoates
7th May 2011, 09:33 PM
Well then lads and lassies?
It looks like it's a goer.

Highlander by definition for this thread; any one who may have travelled north of Pitlochry, anyone actually living north of Pitlochry, any one who has ever wanted to live or go on holiday north of Pitlochry, any one who can spell Pitlochry and own, or have in their possession an Olympus 4/3rds type camera.
Easy!

Phew, looks like I can come clean on being a Sassenach then!! (Though definitely resident North of Pitlochry for 30+ years) :)

Any thoughts on location? Would Skye be good for everyone or somewhere in between - Glen Affric or Torridon maybe?

Seonnaidh
7th May 2011, 10:04 PM
Glen Affric Sounds Very good.

Been there a fair number of times.
Got some nice B&B's there. If Skye becomes the location then we've got plenty of room to put people up.
I'll let you lads decide a venue.

IainMacD
7th May 2011, 11:05 PM
Glen Affric is really close to me so I have no objections to meeting there, but I am prepared to travel further if another suggestion crops up.
It looks like we have an idea of a venue, would anyone like to suggest a date/time?
Iain

theMusicMan
8th May 2011, 07:39 AM
Glen Affric is really close to me so I have no objections to meeting there, but I am prepared to travel further if another suggestion crops up.
It looks like we have an idea of a venue, would anyone like to suggest a date/time?
Iain

Is this on Skye...? When I do a Google search for this it comes up on the mainland, and somewhat inland too?

stoates
8th May 2011, 11:22 AM
Is this on Skye...? When I do a Google search for this it comes up on the mainland, and somewhat inland too?

John, you are probably looking at the right Glen Affric (turn West off the A82 Fort William - Inverness road at Drumnadrochit and head for Cannich). I haven't been there in years but am still open to Skye (or any other suggestion) if there is a general preference?

Gents - As far as dates go how about the first weekend in June (04/05). I was thinking of the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of May but everywhere potentially very busy then?

Seonnaidh
8th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Can't make 4th June as we have friend coming to stay from warrington.

However the week end before and the week end after are free.
I make the dates to be May28th/29th June 11th/12th.

If we could make it one of those dates that would be great.
I,m not worried too much where we meet. Glen Affric sounds good, lots of other nice glens in that area Glen Cannich and Glen Strathfarrar to name but two.
If you want to come to Skye well then that's fine as well. It just seems a bit selfish expecting people to come all this way.
Just let me know what you think is best for all.

jamie allan
8th May 2011, 05:45 PM
Sorry I've missed this so far - was tied up with other things. I don't know if I could make the weekend of 4th as I've just received a summons (as a witness) to be in Glasgow Sheriff Court by 0900 on 6th June. I'd hate to be late - might not be cooking my own breakfast otherwise:D. Any other time suits me and any scenic place is fine by me. I draw the line at sleeping in the car - I'm too old, so anywhere we'd meet I'd appreciate recommendations on B&Bs.

theMusicMan
8th May 2011, 06:07 PM
I could possibly make 9th/10th/11th or 12th because for me it would need to be a two-nighter. I'd try to drive up the prior day, spend the day with everyone, then drive back the next.

I'd much prefer to visit Skye if I am honest. I wouldn't want to drive all that way and not visit the island.

Seonnaidh
8th May 2011, 06:51 PM
John,
If we meet up on that week end and we meet at say Glen Affric or where ever,
on the Saturday you are more than welcome to come back to Skye with us 2.5 hours drive and stay over. we could have a day out on Skye Sunday?
This offer is open to any other 'Highlanders'

theMusicMan
8th May 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Seonnaidh

I'd have to be back home on the Sunday evening ready for work on the Monday I'm afraid. No worries, I am happy to drive to Skye on my own on the Friday as I wouldn't want to cause any confusion on an eGroup Highlands meet. I'd spend Saturday there and drive back on the Sunday.

stoates
8th May 2011, 08:03 PM
I could possibly make 9th/10th/11th or 12th because for me it would need to be a two-nighter. I'd try to drive up the prior day, spend the day with everyone, then drive back the next.

I'd much prefer to visit Skye if I am honest. I wouldn't want to drive all that way and not visit the island.

These dates good for me too; I know Iain had a preference for the weekend though so maybe the 11/12th best.

theMusicMan
8th May 2011, 08:12 PM
These dates good for me too; I know Iain had a preference for the weekend though so maybe the 11/12th best.
For me it would need to be either 9/10/11 or 10/11/12 with: day 1 driving up, day 2 on Skye, day 3 driving back.

Just throwing some dates around for consideration...*chr

catkins
8th May 2011, 08:13 PM
As a sort of* Englishman (who would fear the passport controls that may be now in place on the Scottish border after the recent election results), this sounds like a interesting meet that I'll keep an eye on, although unfortunately I think I might be heading away from the Scottish borders and down towards the Welsh border around that time.
I would love to be coming to this one but if I can't then I hope that you have a wonderful time, some fabulous light and the scenery . . . well we know how outstandingly good that will be!

Regards
Chris

*For immigration control on the Scottish border I would have to claim Venezuelan birthright - that's the only way they'd let me in perhaps!!

IainMacD
8th May 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi all
I can do the weekend of June 11th/12th and am happy to travel further. Unfortunately I cannot offer a bed for the meet, but there are plenty of B&Bs local to Drumnadrochit, Cannich and the area.
As Seonnaidh says there are plenty of other glens and sights to see close by, so if it is too busy we can always move on.
I will have a trawl through my files and see if any images leap out as good ideas of places to go to.
I am already looking forward to this*chr
Iain

Seonnaidh
8th May 2011, 09:15 PM
Right then how about this for a plan?
We meet in or around Glen Affric on Saturday the 11th and have the day there or thereabouts. If John or anyone else wants to come here on the Friday spend the night then travel to GA then that would be great.
Or if you all want to come to Skye then we can put three of you up no problems.
The venue is entirely up to you lads. Lets hope we get a good turn out.
Wherever we go the scenery is sure to be a delight.

stoates
9th May 2011, 02:03 PM
Right then how about this for a plan?
We meet in or around Glen Affric on Saturday the 11th and have the day there or thereabouts. If John or anyone else wants to come here on the Friday spend the night then travel to GA then that would be great.
Or if you all want to come to Skye then we can put three of you up no problems.
The venue is entirely up to you lads. Lets hope we get a good turn out.
Wherever we go the scenery is sure to be a delight.

Plan A or B both work for me.

Perhaps Ian or one of the other 'Adminers' could make this a 'Sticky' until after the event to give it the widest distribution and make sure it isn't forgotten about? Many thanks.

theMusicMan
9th May 2011, 02:24 PM
Plan A or B both work for me.

Perhaps Ian or one of the other 'Adminers' could make this a 'Sticky' until after the event to give it the widest distribution and make sure it isn't forgotten about? Many thanks.
That'd be me then :)

All done.

I have added a prefix to the thread title as well which can be selected when any other events are planned.

Ian
9th May 2011, 03:00 PM
This all looks very interesting! :)

I'll have to see if its doable from my end too!

Ian

Kenz
9th May 2011, 08:52 PM
Hi All

I am up for a trip to skye, I live in the central belt just outside Glenrothes on Fife, quite near the highlands

I would come up and need accommodation for Fri, Sat and Sun nights.
What is situation at short notice , anyone know???

Any dates suites me as i am on my own so no worries.

Ken

theMusicMan
10th May 2011, 06:37 AM
Ken, I think it is up to those concerned to find accommodation for themselves for whatever duration they intend to stay in the area.

I am still trying to figure out if I am able to come up (work & family stuff), but nonetheless I am considering a few options; (1) B&B accommodation on the Isle of Skye itself, and (2) one nights accommodation in the highlands area somewhere as I travel, and then one night on Skye.

Seonnaidh: I wonder if I can throw a spanner in the works and ask everyone if the following week could also be considered a possibility please? My wife is already away that weekend and it could be a lot easier for me if it were the 17th/18th/19th June. No problem if not, just trying to weigh up possibilities, ta.

Seonnaidh
10th May 2011, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately we can only make the 11th June week end as for just about the rest of the summer we are busy with weddings most week ends.

If we make Skye the venue then we have a few friends who run B&B's so once I know who is definitely coming I can arrange to put up a list of B&b's with their tel no's.

Gotta rush wedding No1 for this week draws near and it's raining very hard right now!

theMusicMan
10th May 2011, 12:12 PM
OK, that's fine... just looking at all possibilities Seonnaidh.

I shall stick to looking further into the possibility of coming up on the weekend of the 10/11/12 June.

Kiwi Paul
10th May 2011, 03:11 PM
I'll be in, 10-12 June suit me, I'll stay a night or 2 too so probably arrive on the Fri and head back either Sun or Mon.

Paul

IainMacD
11th May 2011, 10:05 PM
I think we are heading towards finalizing this meet and reading back through the posts, it looks like being the weekend of the 11th & 12th with the Saturday looking favourite?
The next step is to set a time and a meeting point for us all to get together. I have the luxury of a very short journey to Glen Affric so will let those with further to travel decide the time.
As far as a place to meet I think there are 2 options:
1. we go straight to GA and meet at the first car park (Dog Falls) or
2. we meet in Cannich and confirm the destination
The reason for number 2 is that as you drive over the hill to Cannich from Drumnadrochit you get a great sense of the weather in the 3 local Glens - straight on for Glen Affric, 2 o'click(ish) for Glen Cannich (Mullardoch) and 4 o'clock(ish) for Glen Strathfarrar.
I am not certain about where in Cannich to meet up but there is space at the village hall and firestation(?) on the left just after the first few houses if coming from Drum if coming from Beauly turn left after the bridge with the traffic lights and it is about 1/2 a mile on the right.
Alternatively if everyone's route brings them through Drumnadrochit we can meet at my place and I'll put the kettle on:):eek:
This all assumes that the GA area is the preferred destination!
Please posts your thoughts/suggestions and we can hopefully firm this up.
Look forward to meeting you all
Iain

theMusicMan
12th May 2011, 06:45 AM
Looks like you have summarised this very well thanks Iain, and many thanks for the offer of a cuppa at your place :)

However, for me, if I were to drive/travel for at least 11 hours by road I would most certainly wish to continue on to the Isle of Skye itself and spend some quality time there. So, for me, I shall duck out of this meet up at this point as it seems the likely meeting point and photo location would be the highlands around GA. Though I am sure GA is gorgeous, it is Skye I have always wanted to visit.

Kiwi Paul
12th May 2011, 07:37 AM
Either location suits me (GA or Skye although I must confess I do have a preference for Skye although I'd need to stay overnight and I imagine the B&B's may be busy if not already booked up), perhaps folk can nominate their preference then we can make a decision ASAP where to go.

If we go for GA then I'll take you up on the cuppa offer Iain :-)

Paul

stoates
12th May 2011, 02:42 PM
I think we are heading towards finalizing this meet and reading back through the posts, it looks like being the weekend of the 11th & 12th with the Saturday looking favourite?
The next step is to set a time and a meeting point for us all to get together. I have the luxury of a very short journey to Glen Affric so will let those with further to travel decide the time.
As far as a place to meet I think there are 2 options:
1. we go straight to GA and meet at the first car park (Dog Falls) or
2. we meet in Cannich and confirm the destination
The reason for number 2 is that as you drive over the hill to Cannich from Drumnadrochit you get a great sense of the weather in the 3 local Glens - straight on for Glen Affric, 2 o'click(ish) for Glen Cannich (Mullardoch) and 4 o'clock(ish) for Glen Strathfarrar.
I am not certain about where in Cannich to meet up but there is space at the village hall and firestation(?) on the left just after the first few houses if coming from Drum if coming from Beauly turn left after the bridge with the traffic lights and it is about 1/2 a mile on the right.
Alternatively if everyone's route brings them through Drumnadrochit we can meet at my place and I'll put the kettle on:):eek:
This all assumes that the GA area is the preferred destination!
Please posts your thoughts/suggestions and we can hopefully firm this up.
Look forward to meeting you all
Iain

Iain, thanks for your suggestions for the Highland Meet (and the offer of a 'cuppa'). I am really looking forward to a day's shooting with like-minded 'togs' and putting faces to some of the forum members hoping to make it! To that end I remain easy as to where we meet up but I feel that if John is prepared to drive that distance and really wants to see Skye then perhaps we should make Skye the location for this particular meet? Others also seem to have this as a preference. My worry with this is that Seonnaidh might have been looking forward to a day away from his 'own patch'? If you are happy, Seonnaidh, then perhaps you could offer a suitable meet location on Skye and post your list of local B and B's?
Many thanks.

Seonnaidh
12th May 2011, 05:55 PM
Righty Oh then.
Lets formalise the event as happening on Skye.
I live very near to a village called Carbost which is home to the only distillery on Skye which produces Talisker Whisky, so lets meet in the public car park
just past the distillery on the right. You can't miss it it is right on the shoreline.
Where I am located is right next to the Black Cuillin hills and we have several excellent landscape locations all within 15/20 minutes of here.
Below are the links to three B&B's that I can reccommend simply because I know the owners well.
(1) www.langal-skye.co.uk (Norma & Murray) Lovely local people.

(2) www.therowansonskye.com (Jenny & Nick) Very nice hospitable incomers.

(3) www.ardtreckcottage-skye.co.uk

(4) My wife and I. We have 1 double and 1 twin room with shared facilities.

If you would like to Google the following,
Fairy Pools Glenbrittle;
Talisker Bay;
Elgol (Elgol is about an hour from Carbost.
Carbost by the way has a very nice pub called the Old Inn. They serve well prepared evening meals and lunches, and also do B&B it might well be worth Googling them as well.
Cheers for now.

Kiwi Paul
12th May 2011, 06:05 PM
Sounds good to me, I'll probably be coming on my own so I'll try to find a single room from one of the places you listed, staying at the pub is tempting as I can have a couple and not have to worry getting home lol.

Cheers,

Paul

Seonnaidh
12th May 2011, 06:30 PM
Try the 70 shilling draught. Superb.

IainMacD
12th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Sounds good to me, I don't get to Skye enough and I am really looking forward to meeting you all to hopefully pick up some tips and advice.
Anyone got a time in mind?
Iain

stoates
12th May 2011, 09:31 PM
Sunrise is 0427 on the 11/12 Jun!! :eek:

IainMacD
12th May 2011, 09:34 PM
See you at 04:15 then;)

Kiwi Paul
13th May 2011, 08:39 AM
I'll try them all lol :-)

Seonnaidh
14th May 2011, 08:33 AM
Ok then. Lets get an idea of who's planning to be here.
(1) Seonnaidh

Ian
14th May 2011, 09:38 AM
The odds are looking quite favourable that I may be able to attend. I will try to confirm as soon as possible. If I can go, I will bring a range of lenses and accessories as usual. I may have a surprise guest...

Ian

Seonnaidh
14th May 2011, 10:20 AM
Oooooh! A surprise guest,
Well in order of preference and for entirely different reasons I would like it to be;

Sophia Loren when she was about 30-35yrs Old,
David Bailey,
Virtually anyone from the entire worlds population,
The local VAT inspector (she's giving me a hard time)
Looking forward to seeing you all.

IainMacD
14th May 2011, 12:56 PM
2) Iain
I will definitely be there*chr

stoates
14th May 2011, 03:11 PM
3. Steve. I'll be there - just sorting out some accommodation.

jamie allan
14th May 2011, 03:51 PM
4) I'll be there. I'll be working in Edinburgh on the Friday and I think I'll travel up from there. I'll book a B&B for Friday and Saturday and I think I'd leave late afternoon/early evening Sunday. When will we meet up?

jamie allan
14th May 2011, 07:15 PM
Seonnaidh,
I don't know if your accommodation is booked up yet but I'd be interested in booking a room for 10th and 11th if there's one available.

wanderer
14th May 2011, 08:04 PM
I go away for a week in Darkest Lossiemouth and this turns up.:mad::D
My middle name is not Alasdair for nothing you know.
I'll see if I can manage. Got a lot coming up at work. I've been offered a 3 month secondment as a photographer with the work.*yes
Mid June sounds good. I can remember pitching a tent in Glenbrittle at half one in the morning at that time of year and it wasn't dark.
Although I've scrabbled (My type of climbing. A lot of fear involved) all over the Skye ridge, I've never been to the fairy pools and they look very interesting.

Ian
15th May 2011, 12:01 PM
Ok, what's the recommended mode of travel from the Home counties? I see that it's about a 600 mile drive from Hemel Hempstead. I did drive for 7 hours yesterday and covered 350 miles and I have driven from Hemel to Edinburgh in a day a few times.

If I chose to fly, what's the recommended destination?

Ian

Seonnaidh
15th May 2011, 12:10 PM
Luton to Inverness then we are two and a half hours drive from there.
Lovely scenery after about 45 mins.
Edinburgh to our house is 5 hours. Reckon on longer allowing for stops for photo opportunities.

ChrisW
15th May 2011, 02:22 PM
Count me in ... Langal B&B booked for Saturday night.

Any thoughts on where and when we should meet up?

Seonnaidh
16th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Great news , Langal is run by two smashing people Norma & Murray.

If we say meet up at 9.30 am at the car park past the distillery. It's only a few yards and is right on the shoreline.

If anyone plans on getting here any earlier let us know and we will give you directions to our house and we can give you a good cooked breakfast if required.

theMusicMan
16th May 2011, 06:20 PM
Apologies for the late response, I have been away in West Wales this last weekend.

Well... I am going to try to come all the way up to visit you on Skye to meet my fellow Celts, and for this wonderful Isle of Skye photo opportunity.

Fingers crossed... I will be there.

I also plan to take you up on that brekky offer Seonnaidh, and will def be there for that for sure.

Kenz
16th May 2011, 06:46 PM
Not having much luck getting a single room.

Anybody got a twin room they need a somebody for or,

would anybody like to share a twin room with me,

I would like accommodation for Fri and Sat Night.

Any takers

Ken

theMusicMan
17th May 2011, 08:13 AM
The odds are looking quite favourable that I may be able to attend. I will try to confirm as soon as possible. If I can go, I will bring a range of lenses and accessories as usual. I may have a surprise guest...

IanI am guessing - one of the family perhaps...? Please PM me Ian if this is so as I may then try to bring along my own surprise guest too :)

Ian
17th May 2011, 11:20 AM
I think we need to firm up the dates.

If the 11/12th June, I'm looking at flying to Inverness on Saturday morning and going home on the Monday.

Ian

ChrisW
17th May 2011, 12:42 PM
Seonnaidh, meeting at the Talisker car park at 9:30am on Saturday morning is fine with me .... looking forward to putting some faces to names.

I plan to travel up on Friday and do some Friday night sunset and Saturday morning sunrise photography on the way.

theMusicMan
17th May 2011, 01:31 PM
Seonnaidh, meeting at the Talisker car park at 9:30am on Saturday morning is fine with me .... looking forward to putting some faces to names.

I plan to travel up on Friday and do some Friday night sunset and Saturday morning sunrise photography on the way.
Same here Chris. Just have to find somewhere to stay now.

ChrisW
17th May 2011, 01:45 PM
Same here Chris. Just have to find somewhere to stay now.

I don't know if this is any help, but when I booked my room at the Langal they still had their twin room available.

Friday night I will probably be car camping *zzz, hopefully somewhere with a nice view *cameraicon

stoates
17th May 2011, 03:59 PM
I think we need to firm up the dates.

If the 11/12th June, I'm looking at flying to Inverness on Saturday morning and going home on the Monday.

Ian

Ian, my understanding is that we meet up on the Sat morning, location as arranged. You would need to be in Inverness very early to make the 0930 meet as it is probably a good 3 hours drive from the airport (East of Inverness) to Skye.

I am also still without accommodation. My wife is debating coming with me and making a weekend of it on Skye - she will not be planning on being around for the photography though! If she is coming I will obviously be after some decent B&B but if not, I have left some enquiries with the Carbost Inn and http://croftbunkhouse.hotels.officelive.com/contactus.aspx
who have some more basic accommodation but neither have yet responded!
May be of interest to Ken? Will let you know if I hear anything or otherwise could be interested in your 'room share' offer.

Ian
17th May 2011, 04:42 PM
I may have to catch up with you on the Saturday probably in the afternoon, but my plan is to be there all day on Sunday and so return home on the Monday.

Ian

IainMacD
17th May 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Steve
My wife is not into photography either, but loves Skye and will be coming along for the ride. I was going to refer to her as my caddie but thought better of it:eek:
I still have my E-510 and might set it up on P mode for her, but I am afraid she might take better pictures than me:( - she is very artistic in a 'craft' sense and often 'spots' photo ops I might otherwise have missed.
I am (We are) really looking forward to this and in the next week should know whether an overnighter is possible (assuming you lot haven't taken all the beds;)); if not we are only a couple of hours from home.
All the best
Iain

Seonnaidh
17th May 2011, 08:33 PM
I reckon that those of us on Skye for the 9.30 meet do so, then as the day progresses we could arrange to meet others at various points and times throughout the day. Perhaps we could all get toget her for an evening meal Saturday at Seamus's bar at Sligachan (It's right next to the Sligachan Hotel)
there's good views of the Cuillin and the foods simple but affordable.
What are the thoughts of the rest of you?

theMusicMan
17th May 2011, 08:34 PM
I reckon that those of us on Skye for the 9.30 meet do so, then as the day progresses we could arrange to meet others at various points and times throughout the day. Perhaps we could all get toget her for an evening meal Saturday at Seamus's bar at Sligachan (It's right next to the Sligachan Hotel)
Great idea Soennaidh. I am now looking into some flight options from Bristol to Inverness with car hire at the other end. Not 100% sure if I am able to make it as yet, but I am starting to get excited at the prospect of this trip.

IainMacD
17th May 2011, 09:35 PM

This sounds like a great idea and will appeal even more if we manage to be away overnight*chr

ChrisW
17th May 2011, 09:58 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

Ian
18th May 2011, 08:08 AM
Now looking at arriving in Friday and going home on Sunday, but looks pretty much certain I will be there :)

Ian

ChrisW
18th May 2011, 10:16 AM
If are coming to Skye via Inverness you might want to give some thought to driving to Skye via the scenic route.

To whet you togging appetite have a look at http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/latesttorridon.htm

When you leave Inverness head for the west coast and the village of Torridon. In Torridon there is a shop/post office/café which has excellent homemade cakes and scones as well as tables overlooking Loch Torridon.

If you are looking for something more substantial to eat there is the Torridon Inn near Annat. Their website is http://www.thetorridon.com/inn/

When you leave Torridon travel west on the A896 through Balgy and Shieldaig. After Sheildaig you should travel along the coast road around the Applecross Peninsula to Applecross – http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/applecross-torridon/index.html

When you get to Applecross the food at the Applecross Inn is excellent, as are the views from the outdoor dining area http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/

When you leave Applecross come over the Bealach na Ba road, Scotlands highest road. Again this is single track, but there are stunning views to be had from the car park at the top http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13583

When you come down off the Bealach na Ba road drive to Lochcarron, and then at the head of the loch turn right onto the A890 which will take you down to the A87, and the road to Skye.

When you reach the A87 you have a choice, turning right takes you to Skye, or if you turn left and go on a short drive you will arrive at the very togged Eilean Donan castle http://www.eileandonancastle.com/home.htm – if the weather is nice for togging I choose the castle every time, they also have great coffee.

In my experience driving from Inverness to Skye without stopping to take photos is a bit like trying not a chew a fruit pastille *yes

Barkly
18th May 2011, 11:01 AM
I am so jealous. Love to be joining you all. Trouble is I am some 20,000kms away.

sapper
18th May 2011, 11:16 AM
I am visiting Mull and Skye over the week 23 May till 1st June. Shame about missing this meet, just seen it.
Look forward to seeing some of your work.

stoates
18th May 2011, 04:02 PM
I don't know if this is any help, but when I booked my room at the Langal they still had their twin room available.

Langal now fully booked but managed to get a room in the Wilmar. There is still a double room available there if anybody searching - 01478640251

Looking forward to meeting everyone Saturday morning and great suggestion for the meal Saturday night Seonnaidh.

Roy Clarke
19th May 2011, 11:15 AM
managed to get a room in the Wilmar. There is still a double room available there if anybody searching

Not any more there isn't. I trust it will be OK if Moira and I join up with you all on this venture? Although Moira has a E420+stuff, she does not want to get involved with the "serious photographers" and is looking for alternatives while the boys play with their toys.

Are there any other non photographing partners attending and how far are the shops?

Not having attended such a meeting before, could someone tell me the format, is there a plan or do we all do our own thing?

Look forward to meeting you all.

Regards
Roy

stoates
19th May 2011, 07:51 PM
Are there any other non photographing partners attending and how far are the shops?

Regards
Roy

Roy, my wife, Rena, does not want to spend the day watching us take photos so will be available for something else through the day. She is quite interested in seeing 'the sights' and mentioned some of the places Seonnaidh suggested as potential good locations. I'm sure she would be happy to hit the shops in Portree but I'm not too sure about that being a good idea myself....! :)

IainMacD
19th May 2011, 08:45 PM
Accomodation is booked*chr
My wife (Janette) and I will be in Skye for the night of the 11th and really look forward to meeting you all.
Who is going to book the weather? :)

stoates
19th May 2011, 08:55 PM
Who is going to book the weather? :)

Shouldn't be a problem should it - it surely never rains on Skye!? :rolleyes:

Seonnaidh
19th May 2011, 08:57 PM
Weather sorted!
Shops? Portree/ hahahahahahahhahahhahaha. OK I've quietened down.

How many planning to arrive early on the Saturday after overnight drive and need/would like breakfast at our house. It really is no problem as long as 'er indoors knows the numbers.

Hahahahahahahahaha, Oooooohhh Shops in Portree. Ohh I like that one.
Laughed so much I nearly bought my own beer!

stoates
19th May 2011, 09:06 PM
Shops?

Compared to the 1 in our village Portree is bustling!! I am of course glad to hear the choice is very limited :)

Kiwi Paul
19th May 2011, 09:10 PM
I want to come but need to sort out accommodation, I'll try to sort it tomorrow, the Old Inn is full :-(

Paul

Roy Clarke
19th May 2011, 09:15 PM
Shops? Portree/ hahahahahahahhahahhahaha. OK I've quietened down.

OK that's that one answered.

Steve
Moira has also expressed an interest in seeing the sites so if Rena is interested they can meet up at the car park with the rest of us and go and do their own thing.

I would still appreciate an Idea of the format the day will take if someone could give me the information.

Cheers Roy

stoates
19th May 2011, 09:22 PM
I want to come but need to sort out accommodation, I'll try to sort it tomorrow, the Old Inn is full :-(

Paul

Paul, don't know if this is any help:

www.skyehostels.com

It is pretty basic stuff but I had intended using it if I was coming on my own and as of yesterday they still had availability.

Kiwi Paul
19th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks, I'll try to find a B&B first but try them if nothing is available

Seonnaidh
19th May 2011, 09:38 PM
I haven't thought of a definite plan. I was thinking I would see what the majority wanted to see and do then go from there.

All that was sort of planned was towards late afternoon/ evening we could take a walk up Glen Sligachan towards Marsco get a few shots then meet any late arrivals at Seamus' Bar at the Sligachan Hotel.
Any late comers morning wise we could meet at the Old Inn in Carbost at around 1pm.

Sunday , perhaps take a ride up to the Old Man of Storr, then carry on up to Staffin and the Quirang for good photo opportunities.
Also I could possibly arrange a boat trip to see Sea Eagles and get good landscape images as well. There would be a charge of £15.pp for this although I might be able to
get a discount. We will get numbers nearer the time but the best trip to go on is the 10am one. Believe me.
If you look on my website www.juicypear.org the Sea Eagle pictures were taken from the boat I'm talking about.

Anyone with any other ideas please please feel free to mention them. Unfortunately there is just so much to do and see on Skye, especially for photographers.

ChrisW
19th May 2011, 09:51 PM
How many planning to arrive early on the Saturday after overnight drive and need/would like breakfast at our house. It really is no problem as long as 'er indoors knows the numbers.

Thanks, breakfast sounds great, as does the boat trip.

theMusicMan
20th May 2011, 06:46 AM
I have been so busy here in work I haven't had a chance to find accommodation so I may now have difficulty in getting in somewhere.

@ Seonnaidh: I wonder if you could please let me have a list of places a little further afield from where we are meeting that I could try. One way or another I will have a car (hired or mine) so traveling on the Saturday morning to come to meet up with you all is not a problem.

IainMacD
21st May 2011, 09:41 AM
For those still looking for accomodation we booked into this place (http://www.marsco-isle-of-skye.co.uk/) and they still had a room available and I found quite a list by Googling B&B Carbost.
Janette will probably want to be involved with non-photographic activities and we would both like the Sea Eagle trip please!
See you soon
Iain

Zuiko
22nd May 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm getting really excited about this meet and I'm not even going! I've seriously thought about it but taking into account flights, car hire, accomodation and food (not to mention beer money) it's just beyond my means. What a great opportunity for those who can, though.

I'll be following this event with interest and look forward to seeing the pictures and reading the tales when it happens. I'm sure you'll all have a great time. :)

jamie allan
22nd May 2011, 03:24 PM
Seonnaidh,
Sorry for not being more in contact regarding details of who is coming and when - I've been working too many hours lately. I'm planning to travel up on the Friday late afternoon/early evening so will be at the meeting point first thing Saturday. Thanks for the offer of breakfast - I've booked B&B at Langal so will sample the delights there. I'm really looking forward to these two days and I really appreciate the organisation and information you've provided.

Seonnaidh
22nd May 2011, 06:03 PM
Right then a quick update.
I have provisionally booked twelve places on the Sea eagle trip for 10am Sunday 12th of June (weather permitting).

This is the passenger manifest so far,

Me
Iain MacD +1
Chris W

Eight places left lads and lassies. Be quick, when they are gone they are gone.

Kiwi Paul
22nd May 2011, 06:06 PM
I'll be in but still need to find somewhere to stay in Skye first. I'll try to get sorted tomorrow if I can.

Paul

stoates
22nd May 2011, 06:10 PM
I have provisionally booked twelve places on the Sea eagle trip for 10am Sunday 12th of June (weather permitting).

Seonnaidh, Rena and I would really like to take the Sea Eagle ride but I think our time constraints on the Sunday (picking up kids etc) will prevent it. Just to be sure, do you have a likely return time from the trip please?

theMusicMan
22nd May 2011, 06:10 PM

Me
Iain MacD +1
Chris W

What's the Sea Eagle trip exactly Soennaidh...? OK, I know it's to see Sea Eagles, but where does it go from/to etc...?

jamie allan
22nd May 2011, 07:26 PM

Me
Iain MacD +1
Chris W

Seonnaidh
Count me in.

wanderer
22nd May 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Seonnaidh
Count me in for the bird trip please. I made a hash of it the last time.
Like Woofmix I still have to get accommodation.
I'm probably going to stay in a bunkhouse. (They'll have to put up with my snoring:D)

Seonnaidh
22nd May 2011, 09:34 PM
Paul , Your digs are sorted, trust me I'm a photographer.
The Sea eagle trip leaves Portree Harbour @ 10am and gets back at 11.30am.
Any more names please. IOf we fill it I might be able to get a discount.
If we go over twelve I can probably get another boat laid on.

Kiwi Paul
23rd May 2011, 09:11 AM
My digs are sorted - excellent :-) I've PMed you for the details. I'll be in for the Sea Eagle then.

Paul

Ian
23rd May 2011, 09:26 AM

Am currently looking at flying back from Inverness on the 15.25 flight to Luton on Sunday. Is there enough time to do the boat trip?

Ian

Seonnaidh
23rd May 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Ian,
well the Boat Trip leaves Portree at 10 am sharp and gets back at 11.30am. You then have 2.5 hours drive to Inverness Airport.
It seems feasible?

Ian
24th May 2011, 08:10 AM
Hm... Iceland ash clouds here we go again!

Ian

theMusicMan
24th May 2011, 08:23 AM
Hm... Iceland ash clouds here we go again!

IanYes indeed, and guess what...? I am supposed to be flying to Schipol later today too!!

We'll see.

Seonnaidh
24th May 2011, 05:49 PM
I just had a traumatic moment looked out of the study window and it all seemed to have gone greyish blue. Thought it might be the ash cloud as we have been told that it will fall on Skye.
However it was Lachy McPherson setting fire to his caravan. (Don't ask)

gregles
24th May 2011, 05:56 PM
I just had a traumatic moment looked out of the study window and it all seemed to have gone greyish blue. Thought it might be the ash cloud as we have been told that it will fall on Skye.
Near wet ma breeks reading this*chr*chr

Greg:D

Ian
24th May 2011, 07:59 PM
I hear that the peskly volcano is calming down so it looks like we'll be ok!

Ian

ChrisW
24th May 2011, 08:32 PM

Has Lachy been playing with Scottish Bluebell matches again, or was this a practice run for our group visit :confused:

Roy Clarke
24th May 2011, 08:34 PM

Me
Iain MacD +1
Chris W

Two more for the Sea Eagle trip please, Roy & Moira

Ian
25th May 2011, 03:55 PM
OK, I'm all sorted - flight booked to arrive at Inverness on Friday 10th, 11AM. So I will be at Sky mid-afternoon.

I'm flying home on the 11:30 flight from Inverness on the following Monday, so will be leaving around 7:30 from Skye.

Unfortunately, my special guest has had to cancel at the last minute, so it's only me - but I will be bringing a bag of lenses for people to try and if anyone wants to hire a lens and save on shipping costs, I can bring their order with me too.

If you have a request for a lens to try, please let me know.

Ian

Kiwi Paul
25th May 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm sorted too and will arrive mid afternoon Fri and go back on Mon.
Really looking forward to this now, I sure it will be a great weekend and will be great to meet up with you all.
Be nice if the weather is good too.

Paul

stoates
25th May 2011, 05:51 PM

Seonnaidh, just to confirm I (we) will not be able to make the boat trip. I have decided to err on the side of caution regarding our timings and flexibility on the Sunday. The offer was very much appreciated though.
Planning to arrive Carbost Friday evening and really looking forward to Saturday's meet with everybody.

Ian, I've never had the opportunity to shoot wider than 14mm (even my widest OM was 28mm) so if you happen to have a 7-14mm in your bag would love the chance to try it out.

wanderer
25th May 2011, 08:11 PM
I enjoyed using the 50mm with Ringflash recently. If it gets dark enough its worth experimenting with. And we could try portraits. see another thread.

There is one (billions:eek:) thing no-one has mentioned yet.
MIDGIES:eek::eek::eek:
In the right conditions you can see the auld yins teaching the young yins the grips. Another shot for the 50mm.:D

Best stuff I use is Skin so Soft by Avon and recommended by the Royal Marines.*yes
Most shops on Skye usually have a wonderful selection of products to try.

Seriously there is plenty of stuff to use to fend them off but there will be some poor blighter who gets picked on.

Couple of possible venues worth considering. The Braes and the dun on the peninsula. Also a good cafe/farm shop at Skulamus near Broadford.

IainMacD
25th May 2011, 08:16 PM
Hi
Slightly bad news, I will be attending the weekend alone so need to reduce the number for the boat trip by one (sorry Seonnaidh).
Ian, I to would like a quick shot or two with the 7-14, but have never handled any of the SHG glass so any of them would be of interest!
Iain

IainMacD
25th May 2011, 08:19 PM
I wondered when someone would mention the dreaded Midge:eek:
The only possible dampner?
:)

ChrisW
25th May 2011, 09:03 PM
There is one (billions:eek:) thing no-one has mentioned yet.
MIDGIES:eek::eek::eek:

I did not want to mention midges, but I have been keeping an eye on http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

Seems to be minimal problems at the moment, but perhaps Seonnaidh can advise otherwise?

Seonnaidh
25th May 2011, 09:39 PM
Midges, midges?
Fortunately where we live there is nearly always a very gentle breeze blowing that keeps the wee blighters at bay. certainly around the house.
At the moment they are virtually non existent. lets hope it stays that way.

Really looking forwards to this event.

wanderer
25th May 2011, 09:47 PM
I take the view that if we didn't have midgies then every beach and fine location in the Highlands and Islands would have a stip of high rise hotels just like Benidorm et al.

So they have their advantages.

wanderer
28th May 2011, 08:51 PM
I've noticed that there have been several occasions when, having posted, the thread stops dead. Is it me?
For g**'* sake somebody say something.:o

Kiwi Paul
28th May 2011, 08:52 PM
something :p

Seonnaidh
29th May 2011, 05:42 PM
OK Boys and Girls and those who aren't too sure.
Developments on the Sea Eagle Boat trip.

Seemingly if there are enough of us they could lay on a private charter.
This means we could go out a lot earlier than 10am and weather permitting the light will be a lot better.
However. If we go early a lot of your B&B's might not be prepared to serve breakfast that early.
So you have a multi choice decision. To go earlier and miss breakfast at your digs, you might be able to return and get it later. If not I know some superb cafes in Portree where we can get a good breakfast after the trip.

What are the general thoughts, Bearing in mind it is all weather dependant. The rain won't affect the trip but the wind will. I will need to know definite numbers and what we want to do by the evening of Thursday the 9th.

In the meantime if anyone has any special locations they would like to visit please let me know.
I can also most likely arrange a boat trip to Loch Coruisk. The boat normally goes at 2pm and we get back at around 5pm. Not sure about prices if anyone is interested let me know nearer the time and I will see what I can do.
Also Seal Trips from Dunvegan Castle good opportunity to photograph Seals up close and maybe some Terns.
I hope you all don't mind me making these suggestions but I would hate for you all to come this far and not get plenty of good photo opportunities.

Several prominent local people have asked me why I don't organise this on a yearly basis and hold exhibitions by forum members, get some local pro photographers (the good ones) to do some landscape workshops etc etc etc.

Once again your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Maybe, just maybe we could ask Olympus to put their name behind it (without financial involvement) and I am almost certain that I can get some other prominent names in the photography game to support us.

Kiwi Paul
29th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Count me in for any trips you think are worth going on, the charter is fine with me too, breaky can wait.
Looking forward to this :-)

Paul

wanderer
29th May 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm up for the early rise to catch the birdy.
I mentioned the Braes earlier.
A late evening possibility near base would be Portnalong pier. The road and pier point to MacLeod's Tables which is where the sun will set. (hopefully)
I also Loch Ainort, Luib and the low road round to Sconser.

Seonnaidh
29th May 2011, 07:55 PM
He he he!
I know a much better location for a shot of Sunset over McLeods Maidens.
Bout 5 mins drive from Portnalong a wee bit higher up and in my mates garden.
Howzat!

wanderer
29th May 2011, 09:04 PM
He he he!
I know a much better location for a shot of Sunset over McLeods Maidens.
Bout 5 mins drive from Portnalong a wee bit higher up and in my mates garden.
Howzat!

Fair enough. It might even lose the foreground interest of the fish farm.:)
I'm not sure about the boat for Coruisk. You would need all your time to get round to the loch. Two years ago I had a week at Elgol. There were boats plying into Scavaig about every half hour! The first time I went in was 1968 from Mallaig with Bruce Watt.

Thinking about possible future workshops, etc. I'd be interested. I have also in the past wandered over the Cuillin. Coire a Ghrundda is my favourite. A bit of a walk but worth it. You feel you are out up and over the sea looking to Rum and Eigg. If folk are up to it, a cracking walk. Or out to the Viking boat yard on the peninsula. The other spot I've found recently is the Lookout at Rubha Hunish. 315 degree view from one room. A boggy mile walk but also reasonably handy for Duntulm.

Not sure about exhibitions although one of my photos of Schiehallion was used in an exhibition about Maskelyne in London this year.

ChrisW
29th May 2011, 11:11 PM

This means we could go out a lot earlier than 10am and weather permitting the light will be a lot better.
However. If we go early a lot of your B&B's might not be prepared to serve breakfast that early.
So you have a multi choice decision. To go earlier and miss breakfast at your digs, you might be able to return and get it later. If not I know some superb cafes in Portree where we can get a good breakfast after the trip.

An early Sunday morning start is fine for me .... how early are you thinking?

jamie allan
30th May 2011, 09:29 AM

What are the general thoughts, Bearing in mind it is all weather dependant. The rain won't affect the trip but the wind will. I will need to know definite numbers and what we want to do by the evening of Thursday the 9th.

In the meantime if anyone has any special locations they would like to visit please let me know.
I can also most likely arrange a boat trip to Loch Coruisk. The boat normally goes at 2pm and we get back at around 5pm. Not sure about prices if anyone is interested let me know nearer the time and I will see what I can do.
Also Seal Trips from Dunvegan Castle good opportunity to photograph Seals up close and maybe some Terns.
I hope you all don't mind me making these suggestions but I would hate for you all to come this far and not get plenty of good photo opportunities.

Several prominent local people have asked me why I don't organise this on a yearly basis and hold exhibitions by forum members, get some local pro photographers (the good ones) to do some landscape workshops etc etc etc.

Once again your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Maybe, just maybe we could ask Olympus to put their name behind it (without financial involvement) and I am almost certain that I can get some other prominent names in the photography game to support us.

Seonnaidh,
Maybe missing breakfast before an early morning boat trip might not be a bad idea:eek:
Your suggestions sound great I'm up for any/all as long as my stomach behaves itself.
As far as annual events that sounds a great idea.

stoates
30th May 2011, 11:56 AM

Seonnaidh, your suggestions for this meet are greatly appreciated. Despite my(relatively) close proximity to Skye I haven't visited since 1970 when I was 11! It is therefore great to have someone with local knowledge, especially from a photographer's perspective, to make sure we get the best out of the day. As I may still be looking at just having the saturday for photos (I will confirm sunday availability as the re-worked Sea Eagle trip firms up) my preference would be to spend the bulk of it on dry land but if others feel your other suggested boat trips beneficial I will gladly join in.

As for future meets or workshops on Skye I am definitley interested. I am under no illusion that we will fit in more than the 'tip of the iceberg' of photo locations on Skye during our meet this time round.

theMusicMan
1st June 2011, 04:25 AM
Hi Ladies and Gents

Well, after much re-arranging and attempting to reschedule existing events I am disappointed to say that I am not able to make the Skye shoot. There were simply too many existing commitments I was trying to juggle - and not in the least my daughters birthday & her having her party that very weekend.

My sincere apologies... I will be very envious of everyone, and to Seonnaidh - I will certainly make every effort to come up at some point when I would very much like to meet you and say hi.

John

Seonnaidh
3rd June 2011, 07:35 PM
That's a shame, still family commitments must come first.

Lots of opportunities for you to come up to Skye some time.
We will all hopefully give you plenty of feedback on how the event went.

Stay Lucky.

Seonnaidh
3rd June 2011, 07:39 PM
Well lads only a week to go.
Hope the weather stays fine.
Should be a good week end.
After the meet up on saturday morning I will have to scrounge a lift with one of younas due to a medical problem I am not allowed to drive for a while.
My wife was going to chauffeur me about but she has been lumbered with another commitment. I don't think she is too worried as she reckons there will be more photography talk than she can handle.

Kiwi Paul
3rd June 2011, 09:31 PM
No worries there's a spare seat in my car, don't forget to tell me where you live!!

Paul

wanderer
3rd June 2011, 09:34 PM
No problem with the driving. I've got a fine Golf tractor and as I'm staying in Broadford I'll only be drinking (there) on the Friday night.
so I'll be at Talisker carpark on Saturday at 9:30 or do you want me elsewhere a wee bit earlier? A Postcode (PM) and I can find you.

Local accommodation to yourself was a bit pricey for one person and the bunkhouses were either full or didn't get back to me.
I'm in the SYHA at Broadford and have even got a single room.:)

Ian
4th June 2011, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear that John. I'm sure there will be another opportunity.

Ian

Hi Ladies and Gents

Well, after much re-arranging and attempting to reschedule existing events I am disappointed to say that I am not able to make the Skye shoot. There were simply too many existing commitments I was trying to juggle - and not in the least my daughters birthday & her having her party that very weekend.

My sincere apologies... I will be very envious of everyone, and to Seonnaidh - I will certainly make every effort to come up at some point when I would very much like to meet you and say hi.

John

Ian
4th June 2011, 01:18 PM
Do we have a long range weather forecast for next weekend in Skye? The BBC one doesn't look very appetising but only reaches Wednesday... and is usually wrong!

Ian

ChrisW
4th June 2011, 02:25 PM
Do we have a long range weather forecast for next weekend in Skye? The BBC one doesn't look very appetising but only reaches Wednesday... and is usually wrong!

Ian

You could keep an eye on http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Isle%20of%20Skye

Ian
4th June 2011, 05:08 PM
3C feeling like -3C for the Saturday - some mishtake surely?

Seonnaidh
4th June 2011, 08:47 PM
Err, No!

We have snow forecast for Tuesday with temp of -1. !
Happy days.

Kiwi Paul
4th June 2011, 09:55 PM
Seonnaidh are you getting my PM's you haven't replied

Paul

ChrisW
4th June 2011, 10:28 PM
*snowflake + Cuillin's = *cameraicon

Seonnaidh
5th June 2011, 09:04 AM
Paul just PM'd you. Hope you've got it.

So then just how many people are we expecting at the event now. I've lost track.

Kiwi Paul
5th June 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Seonnaidh, no it hasn't come through, try again and let me know or try emailing too.

Cheers

Paul

Paul just PM'd you. Hope you've got it.

So then just how many people are we expecting at the event now. I've lost track.

jamie allan
5th June 2011, 10:36 AM

Seonnaidh,
I'll definitely be there. I'm travelling up Friday afternoon and will probably arrive 7-8pm. I've booked accommodation at Langal for the two nights. I'm planning to head back mid/late Sunday. I am really looking forward to this and thanks for all your organisation Jon.

Kiwi Paul
5th June 2011, 10:39 AM
Got it now thx :-)

Paul

Ian
8th June 2011, 09:20 AM
The weather looks a bit more positive for the weekend according to the latest forecasts I have seen. I think rain is less likely and we can expect around 13C, which is livable!

Are there any requests for lenses that I should bring?

Ian

jamie allan
8th June 2011, 09:46 AM
The weather looks a bit more positive for the weekend according to the latest forecasts I have seen. I think rain is less likely and we can expect around 13C, which is livable!

Ian
Ian,
That's postively balmy here.

Lots

Ian
8th June 2011, 10:16 AM
Ian,
That's postively balmy here.

Lots

Haha! In all seriousness I need to be selective as I'm flying and although I am checking a bag, there is a limit to the weight.

Ian

stoates
8th June 2011, 10:53 AM

Ian

I would like to try something wide Ian, ideally the 7-14mm but would be more than happy with the 9-18mm as that is a more likely future purchase for me and it will keep the weight down in your bag!

jamie allan
8th June 2011, 11:17 AM
Haha! In all seriousness I need to be selective as I'm flying and although I am checking a bag, there is a limit to the weight.

Ian

Sorry Ian couldn't resist it. I'm hankering over a 50-200 but don't know if I'd be able to 'borrow' one from fellow members over the weekend so I'd probably plump for any of the following
7-14 I'd like to try/see wide angle
150 I'd like to see what everyone raves about
90-250 This would just be lust - and possibly theft at the end of the weekend.
EC14/20 I'd like to see these in action
Hope that helps.

wanderer
8th June 2011, 02:20 PM
Jamie
I have a 50-200 and an EC-14.
I am quite happy for you to have ashot with the exception of the Sea Eagle bit.
You can see my list of kit below.
If a converter for using OM legacy lenses is available, I can provide such as 21mm, 24mm and 85-250mm. I might even try that out myself.:)

As for the weather. Currently there is a depression which is centered over the Cuillin but I can confidently predict that at the weekend we will have weather. Whether or not we like it is another thing.

Kiwi Paul
8th June 2011, 02:26 PM
I'll be bringing my 7-14 and 35-100 (unless it sells before hand) which folk are welcome to try.

Paul

jamie allan
8th June 2011, 02:31 PM
Jamie
I have a 50-200 and an EC-14.
I am quite happy for you to have ashot with the exception of the Sea Eagle bit.
You can see my list of kit below.
If a converter for using OM legacy lenses is available, I can provide such as 21mm, 24mm and 85-250mm. I might even try that out myself.:)

As for the weather. Currently there is a depression which is centered over the Cuillin but I can confidently predict that at the weekend we will have weather. Whether or not we like it is another thing.

Duncan,
That would be great thanks. I've an £10 OEM OM to 4/3rds adaptor that I'll bring with me.

jamie allan
8th June 2011, 02:31 PM
I'll be bringing my 7-14 and 35-100 (unless it sells before hand) which folk are welcome to try.

Paul

Paul,
You might need to check my pockets before I leave!

theMusicMan
8th June 2011, 02:33 PM
Chaps and chapesses... to say I am gutted is an understatement. I genuinely looked hard at coming up, and very nearly made the travel and accommodation bookings - but family commitments meant I just couldn't make it.

I sincerely hope you all have a superb time.

Kiwi Paul
8th June 2011, 06:45 PM
You'll need very long pockets to carry the 35-100 lol

Ian
9th June 2011, 09:42 AM
Seonnaidh has just been in touch because Skye is currently without Internet or mobile phone networks. If you need to contact him I have his land line number - just PM me and I can give it to you. He will post here once the problem is fixed.

Ian

wanderer
9th June 2011, 11:41 AM
A taster for the weekend?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13706155

Actually the forecast doesn't look to bad at the moment.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/nw.php?fdate=110611

Kiwi Paul
9th June 2011, 11:49 AM
Getting close now, only 1 more sleep to go *zzz :p ;)

Paul

Seonnaidh
9th June 2011, 05:59 PM
WaheyInternet and 'phone services restored at 1835 hours.
Only 118 e-mails and 17 phone messages to deal with!
Important ones first.

Really looking forwards to the meet up, any one coming to mae wee hoose it's really easy to recognise. It stands in the middle of nowhere, the house name is Tigh Na Maiddah,
and there should be a blue Volkswagen Passat Estate in the drive. It's a white bungalow on the left hand side of the single track road witha grey gravel drive. easy.
One more sleep to go .

jamie allan
9th June 2011, 06:47 PM
A taster for the weekend?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-13706155

Actually the forecast doesn't look to bad at the moment.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/nw.php?fdate=110611
Re-proofed my jacket - check
dug out my waterproof trousers - check
packed my walking boots - check
and hey the E-3 and 14-54 are splashproof - check
Here we go, Here we go, Here we go..............................................:D :D

Seonnaidh
9th June 2011, 08:05 PM
How many of you are coming to my place Saturday morning for breakfast?
Iknow some of you have said you might be travelling o/night or whatever,
so breakfast is on offer for saturday morning, just need to know who and how many?

stoates
9th June 2011, 08:21 PM
so breakfast is on offer for saturday morning, just need to know who and how many?

Kind offer but eating at B+B. See you at the Talisker car park 0930. :)

jamie allan
9th June 2011, 09:16 PM
Seonnaidh,
Thanks for the offer but I'll be B&B's at Langal so meet you at 0930 at Talisker

IainMacD
9th June 2011, 09:29 PM

Hi Seonnaidh
we will be travelling over in the morning and will go straight to Tallisker.
Thanks for the offer - maybe some other time?
Iain

ChrisW
9th June 2011, 09:37 PM

Breakfast for me please - what time, and where?

Seonnaidh
9th June 2011, 09:38 PM
Ok Lads & Lasses,
The car park we are meeting at is 220 yards past the official distillery car park
entrance and on the right. It is right next to the shoreline of Loch Harport.
Those of you staying at local B&B's will get there just fine.
Don't forget if you are there Friday evening and want a meet up I dare say your
B&B owners can give you my telephone number.
If If Ian and Paul twist my harm ever so slightly we could meet in the Old Inn
at 9pm?

wanderer
9th June 2011, 09:52 PM

I'm staying in Broadford but will turn up for a cup of tea on Saturday. 8.30 OK?

Seonnaidh
9th June 2011, 09:55 PM
Top Hole, Duncan see you then.

ChrisW
9th June 2011, 10:16 PM
Breakfast for me please - what time, and where?

Found your house on Google StreetView - is 8:30 OK for breakfast?

Ian
10th June 2011, 07:08 AM
Well, at least the sun is shining here say Luton airport :)

Was asked to remove something from my case as out was 1.8 kilos over :o

Ian

Ps Flight delayed by an hour :(

stoates
10th June 2011, 08:59 AM
Well, at least the sun is shining here say Luton airport :)

Was asked to remove something from my case as out was 1.8 kilos over :o

Ian

Ps Flight delayed by an hour :(

Hope the 7-14mm wasn't the sacrificial lens! :)

Beautiful day here in Moray as well but no idea about Skye - fingers crossed for clear skys at least.

What time do you arrive at Inverness now? We will be passing by at 1400ish.

Ian
10th June 2011, 09:08 AM
Boarding now so so eta around noon.

7-14 is with me :)

Ian

Seonnaidh
10th June 2011, 09:21 AM
Gorgeous day on Skye right now.
Sun shining but a very cool wind. Lovely skies.

Seonnaidh
10th June 2011, 09:27 AM
Chris W,
8.30 is fine for breakfast, Duncan, Paul and Ian will also be here.
Looking forward to this event very much.

Ian
10th June 2011, 10:55 AM
What a cute little airport it is here in Inverness :)

And the sun is still shining!

Ian

Zuiko
10th June 2011, 11:04 AM
What a cute little airport it is here in Inverness :)

And the sun is still shining!

Ian

This is like Twitter! It's a great way for we who couldn't make it follow what promises to be a special weekend. Hope the weather stays good. :)

Seonnaidh
10th June 2011, 12:52 PM
Sun still shining here too.
Bl**dy wind still freezing.!

gregles
10th June 2011, 01:24 PM
I am just so jealous*yes

Greg

Zuiko
10th June 2011, 02:32 PM
Sun still shining here too.
Bl**dy wind still freezing.!

But it helps keep the midges at bay! :D

Zuiko
10th June 2011, 02:34 PM
I am just so jealous*yes

Greg

You and me both! *sob

Ian
11th June 2011, 06:12 AM
Good morning everyone! Well my cameras were kept very busy yesterday :) I estimated including stops aloing the way that the 115 mile trip from Inverness to Seonnaidh's house would take about three and a half hours - the stops for photo opportunities made that five and a half hours!

Not had time to sort any photos yet, but I already have several hundred to sift through, from Rogie Falls, lochs, hills (they look more like mountains but you are supposed to call them hills), extinct volcanoes, sheep (lots of sheep), cattle, flowers, and last of all yesterday - the sea shore at Talisker bay.

I was even tracked down on the way by Steve (Stoates)!

The weasther forecast for yesterday wasn't great but on teh whole the weather held out and today's forecast is again not brilliant, but the sun is streaming through the window as I write this.

Ian

Seonnaidh
11th June 2011, 06:58 AM
Good morning all.
I certainly do not want to make you at all envious but so far we all seem to be having a great time.
Paul(Woofmix), Duncan (Wanderer) ChrisW , Ian and myself met up yesterday and in the evening went down to Talisker Bay for a few 'snaps'. I've attached one of Paul and Ian for you to view.
Hopefully more will follow as the week end progresses.

theMusicMan
11th June 2011, 07:01 AM
OK. That's it. Simply cannot take any more. I must add that 'block because of envy' button to this thread.

:)

Me... well I wish I was there with you, it was so nearly what I was going to do. Ah well... preparing or 14yr old daughters 'camp-over' party is the order of the day for me!

Hope the weather holds for you all, have a great time.

Zuiko
11th June 2011, 07:29 AM
Good morning all.
I certainly do not want to make you at all envious but so far we all seem to be having a great time.
Paul(Woofmix), Duncan (Wanderer) ChrisW , Ian and myself met up yesterday and in the evening went down to Talisker Bay for a few 'snaps'. I've attached one of Paul and Ian for you to view.

That's a cracking silhouette, Jon, a very moody and atmospheric shot with just enough pink remaining in the sky to contrast with the blue tones of dusk. It sets the scene for what promises to be a memorable weekend and I look forward to seeing many more great pictures. I only wish I was able to be there with you all. :)

catkins
11th June 2011, 09:51 AM
Good morning all.

"Envious"?
Of course not - thanks to the quality of I presume the E-5 I can see that there is absolutely no way that you all are going to succeed at sea fishing! You've obviously gone ill-equiped, without proper rods, and worst of all, due to the quality of the camera image, I can see that those two people have even forgotten to rig up a proper line to enable them to catch fish, so this is obviously a staged photo.
Caught out, hook line and sinker!!!

I would stick to photography - with an image like this I'm sure that there'll be much for us to enjoy if you show us some scenery rather than staged fishing shots!!! :p

Like many others, wish I was there, and hope you all have a fab time. There will be a lot of great shots to come from this trip.

Regards
Chris

Seonnaidh
11th June 2011, 09:05 PM
OK then. it's 10pm and the group have just left the house to go back to their B&B's and photograph a sunset or two.

I've attached one image from today which was the result of me being left unsupervised with the 8mm for a wee while.

Janet
11th June 2011, 09:51 PM
I am seething with envy!

Please keep all us poor deprived people updated with your progress. It's been real fun to follow!

Janet

Zuiko
11th June 2011, 10:33 PM
OK then. it's 10pm and the group have just left the house to go back to their B&B's and photograph a sunset or two.

I've attached one image from today which was the result of me being left unsupervised with the 8mm for a wee while.

That's a lovely composition with dramatic perspective and a strong foreground. I bet you end up buying one of those lenses.

I hope you're going to have those other b*gg*rs up for sunrise tomorrow, seems a shame for them to go all that way and not make full use of the daylight! :D

Ian
11th June 2011, 11:04 PM
There is now a new forum meet category in the gallery for Skye at:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1215

Please post your Skye pix from this week there please :)

I have also started a new thread for Skye photos at:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=120168

Ian