PDA

View Full Version : Olympus vs Panasonic colours

baldyb
6th May 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm sure this subject has been debated ad nauseam so I won't be surprised if this thread draws a blank!

I've owned various E-system cameras over the last few years since getting back into photography (only really as a fun snapper!) but since the arrival of my grandaughter I wanted something with a video capability so bought a Panasonic TZ10 and recently a G2 as I really do prefer the DSLR style with built-in viewfinder.

I'm no expert and have no real complaints over the Panny output but knowing there are other Panny users on the forum and just wondered if anybody has managed to tweak their in-camera settings to get the colours closer to that of, say, the E-620? Or is the difference simply down to in-camera processing over which there is no control?

Any comments very welcome.

StephenL
6th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I only shoot in raw so the issue doesn't really arise. But I suspect increasing the blue contrast might bring the Panasonic closer to the Olympus.

Ulfric M Douglas
6th May 2011, 05:47 PM
... if anybody has managed to tweak their in-camera settings to get the colours closer to that of, say, the E-620? ...
We have our e-600 setup for vivid pleasant colours, mostly taking pictures of the baby and sheep and horses and nice stuff.
My Lumix G1 is set up for shallow DOF and interesting artsy shots so I was never trying to get Olympus colours from it.
I use Nature(sat+2), B&W-Dynamic, Dynamic(Sat-2) with global WB:amber+3
This gives me pictures which look similar to the colours I see with my eyes when viewed on my computer monitor.
So in answering your real question : no. ... but all my cameras take lovely colour photographs.

(Out of the box my Lumix(Standard) wasn't too pleasant, but also our e-600 was too brown.)