PDA

View Full Version : mmmm, interesting

Ianf
5th May 2011, 09:16 AM
does this sound plausable or just trying to dump a faulty lens ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180659938949&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

:confused:

Ian
5th May 2011, 10:01 AM
The physical condition looks OK. I can't see its lens hood though.

It's very unusual for a firmware upgrade to fail.

Ian

Ianf
5th May 2011, 01:06 PM
I was worried that it was a rogue, could be a good cheap addition or a paperweight !*yes

Chevvyf1
5th May 2011, 01:36 PM
Why not phone Oly Cus Serv and ask them about Firmware upgrade affecting this lens ? If they ask you "if your talking out of your ... ?" THEN it may be a good purchase !

francois
5th May 2011, 02:39 PM
It could happen. The problem is, when the firmware update has failed you need to send it back to the manufacturer for reprogramming. And I'm afraid the cost of purchasing the lens at the final auction price + that of having it reprogrammed by Olympus + postage there and back, and you're looking at a sum not too far remote from buying a good quality used one with all its accessories and boxed.

Ianf
5th May 2011, 02:59 PM
That was my concern, I would end up paying more to repair than to purchase, thanks for your responses,
*yes

Tordan58
6th May 2011, 09:40 AM
If the firmware update is interrupted while in progress; e.g. due to running out of battery then risk is high that you end up with a corrupted device that will not boot/cannot communicate with the host computer.

It seems to have happened the owner of a 70-300. Look at this thread (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?message=38225922&forum=1022).

If that happens then you need to reset and reprogram the device and that usually needs access to tools that the vendor has access to as a security measure. Not sure what Olympus charge for this service, better check before...

/Tord

Ian
6th May 2011, 10:05 AM
The firmware file is downloaded to your PC first. So a break in the Internet is not likely to be the problem. The critical part is the flashing of the memory in the lens. If this is interrupted, then it can prove fatal. The flash programming actually only takes a few seconds which is why it's usually a very reliable procedure. It may seem to take longer because validation routines follow the flashing. You should never update firmware with a battery that has not been fully charged. But even so, a battery dying just as the flash programming is in mid-action would be very unlucky. Dirty electrical contacts might cause a problem. Certainly I can't see that the firmware itself would be faulty. It's fully checked before distribution and routine error checking in file transfers will ensure it's not corrupted.

Ian

Tordan58
6th May 2011, 10:59 AM
The firmware file is downloaded to your PC first. So a break in the Internet is not likely to be the problem. The critical part is the flashing of the memory in the lens. If this is interrupted, then it can prove fatal. The flash programming actually only takes a few seconds which is why it's usually a very reliable procedure. It may seem to take longer because validation routines follow the flashing. You should never update firmware with a battery that has not been fully charged. But even so, a battery dying just as the flash programming is in mid-action would be very unlucky. Dirty electrical contacts might cause a problem. Certainly I can't see that the firmware itself would be faulty. It's fully checked before distribution and routine error checking in file transfers will ensure it's not corrupted.

Ian
Hi,
I never claimed the FW was faulty prior update. What I wrote - in line with your post - is that if the FW update procedure is interrupted prior completion there is a high risk that the device (the lens in this case) will end up in a state where it is no longer capable of booting and supporting FW updates - basically it is a dead lens.

As you write; weak battery status, unreliable galvanic contacts, user removing USB cable are likely causes of (often non-recoverable) failure.

I have updated several of my Olympus gear (both lenses and bodies) and the process took some time, more than I expected. In particular when I updated FW for a body I got the feeling for a while that the process had hung - eventually I got the "completed" message, what a relief.

BR
/Tord

Ian
6th May 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi,
I never claimed the FW was faulty prior update. What I wrote - in line with your post - is that if the FW update procedure is interrupted prior completion there is a high risk that the device (the lens in this case) will end up in a state where it is no longer capable of booting and supporting FW updates - basically it is a dead lens.

As you write; weak battery status, unreliable galvanic contacts, user removing USB cable are likely causes of (often non-recoverable) failure.

I have updated several of my Olympus gear (both lenses and bodies) and the process took some time, more than I expected. In particular when I updated FW for a body I got the feeling for a while that the process had hung - eventually I got the "completed" message, what a relief.

BR
/Tord

Sorry - I was referring to the dpreview thread where Olympus denied faulty firmware.

I somehow assumed that the firmware code was first downloaded to RAM in the camera before flashing, but that's only a guess. Body firmware is likely to be much bigger in size than lens firmware, which explains why it takes longer.

Ian

francois
6th May 2011, 02:17 PM
Considering the lens finished at 50, I don't see the point.

Reflashing the firmware by Olympus seems to cost 138 according to someone at DP, and there is no way around having to send the lens to Olympus. So we're already at 188 and you get something which hasn't got its hood or caps nor postage. Now, check the cost of the hood + caps if you want the original spare parts and you get a total cost which is higher than buying a complete set in mint condition.

So what looked like it could be a bargain ends up not being one.

Chevvyf1
6th May 2011, 03:15 PM
*chrFrancois you so very knowledgeable! I have learned a lot from this Thank You *chr

Ianf
6th May 2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, so a bargain could have turned into a pup !:(