PDA

View Full Version : E-510 custom default settings?

DJMC
4th May 2011, 04:18 PM
:confused:

Is there an experienced E-510 owner (I'm new to mine) who can advise if there is a better range of standard settings to start from each time the camera is used than those chosen by Olympus, or is it down to the individual's trial and error to find a custom default level? What works for you?

Thanks!

;)

JackBenedict
4th May 2011, 04:51 PM
Google in " Wrotniak " and look at the results. This guy takes you through the settings in an easy to understand way.

Hope this helps

stoates
4th May 2011, 05:16 PM
I endorse Phil's recommendation to use the Wrotniak defaults. What I did find useful was to set these as Menu option RESET1 and use them as start settings for anything hand held. For tripod use, I used predominantly the same defaults but switched off the IS and set Anti-Shock (Mirror Lock) to 4 seconds and saved it as RESET2.

(There has ben some recent forum discussion about the pros and cons of having IS on as a default even for hand held. Based on the opinions of other users I now default to IS off and only switch it on if forced to hand hold a slow shutter speed.)

shenstone
4th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Old time (and current) e-510 user here

The specific page you want is http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html

Some of his decisions I heartily agree with -

Auto Pop up is a no brainer - turn it off you want to be in control not the software

Some not so sure

I have function set to Depth Of Field (DoF) Preview
Picture Mode - I stayed with the Oly defaiults
Fiel format - I stick to RAW+SHQ throughout - it suit's my workflow - OK it uses more disk, bu tthat's cheap these days

Some - you decide

I have beep on all 3 of my Oly Bodies, The wife hates it so has it of on her 620

Regards
Andy

Phill D
4th May 2011, 08:22 PM
Yes I used Wrotniak's advice to set mine up too. Seemed to work very well. Only thing I think I've changed is to go to vivid mode now mostly.

theMusicMan
4th May 2011, 08:47 PM
Yes I used Wrotniak's advice to set mine up too. Seemed to work very well. Only thing I think I've changed is to go to vivid mode now mostly.
Apologies if I am teaching granny to suck eggs here Phill... but if you shoot in RAW, this has no effect at all on the image you import into your PC.

Phill D
5th May 2011, 05:05 AM
Yes you are quite right John, I use vivid generally as I almost always shoot jpg.