PDA

View Full Version : Whats happened to the monthly challenge

fridgemagnet
1st May 2011, 02:14 PM
As per the title, whats happened? anyone know. ATB Martin

Chevvyf1
1st May 2011, 04:17 PM
Good point Martin - it seems to have gone the way of Photo of the DAY !
Can we Resuss it ? :D

Barkly
2nd May 2011, 11:09 AM
Shall we set our own challenge?

wfk
2nd May 2011, 11:32 AM
We could always do Blot on the landscape again, there were a few who said they would've contributed to that (and I had an idea for it as well).

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2011, 05:04 PM
Okay Dokey ! Lets do it "Blot on the Landscape" ? and closing date and time ? Where do we post images ? and where do we "chat" about images ?
Who is going to JUDGE ?

fridgemagnet
2nd May 2011, 07:02 PM
I wondered if it may be possible to change the format to encourage more entries for each monthly challenge? What does everyone think? ATB Martin:)

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2011, 07:37 PM
Change ? in what way(s) ?

dbutch
2nd May 2011, 08:00 PM
Yes it needs kicking off again:)

the rules work fine usually, what is needed is to keep its profile up!
It needs to be made a sticky (admin.) and the person running needs to make sure it gets bumped. It is a great way to make you think about and make an effort and try something you might no usually do

it was a shame the last one only got 2 entries in the past it has been in the 20's

dave*chr

fridgemagnet
2nd May 2011, 08:17 PM
My two penneth.

From my point of view its mostly about time, i would often have a germ of an idea for a particular challenge but would end up running out of time. also i feel the challenge is slightly restrictive in that your image entry would have to have been taken within that month.

If i were to change things i think then i would run the challenge like this

1 Open discussion thread at begining of year ( or end of previous) and set 12 challenges for the following year by puplic vote
2 start a competition image thread at the begining of the month and those who want to enter can upload thier image for puplic consideration (seeing uploaded images may encourage more entries)
3 you have three weeks to post your image, the fourth week is for voting by private email to the person who runs that months competition (previous months winner).
Obviously the first months competition will still require that you have a maximum of three weeks to get a suitable image but subsequent months will allow more time if you count from the beginning of the year.

this is my very simplified view of what i think may encourage more entries. What do other people think.?:)

andym
2nd May 2011, 08:56 PM
the rules work fine usually, what is needed is to keep its profile up!
It needs to be made a sticky (admin.) and the person running needs to make sure it gets bumped. It is a great way to make you think about and make an effort and try something you might no usually do

it was a shame the last one only got 2 entries in the past it has been in the 20's

dave*chr

Yep.I feel this last one was just left to die.No input from the person running it and could have been made sticky.

I feel when you a running this sort of thing as you cannot enter yourself it's part of the fun promoting it.

As I said earlier "this one just passed me by".:eek:

My thoughts.;);)

Glen Bentley
2nd May 2011, 10:23 PM
The changes get my vote.

gregles
2nd May 2011, 10:25 PM
The monthly challenge was good fun :)

Hope it is back again soon*yes

Bikie John
3rd May 2011, 09:22 AM
I think Roger, who ran this one, had some computer problems which meant he wasn't able to push it as much as some organisers do. He had some further problems once the entries were published for voting and I wouldn't be surprised if he got rather demoralised.

And andym - I don't think the rules as they stood previously prohibited the organiser from entering. Didn't stop me on the one I ran anyway!

Ciao ... John

Tordan58
3rd May 2011, 12:01 PM
Hi

What I believe is needed to get a monthly going (in line with what is already written here)
A champion that organizes the event and can moderate, sticky etc. Possibly a team of volunteers that can support and offload if needed
Champion sets and announces 12 monthly themes in advance.
An area where submissions can be uploaded, viewed and also commented
3 weeks time window to upload, 1 week time window to vote
A "voting booth" - I suggest implement as a survey where you can vote (provided the web site has support for this feature)
A gallery where the monthly winners are on display

Chevvyf1
3rd May 2011, 12:54 PM
I thought the first be set by someone here, in admin ? and then each month the winner has 24 hours to post the next topic ? It being a condition of entry that each entrant is available for the day of judgement and posting next topic !

DavidJ1609
3rd May 2011, 06:26 PM
I thought the original idea was fun, and it was interesting to try and think monthly what to shoot.

I would suggest the problem is sometimes people are daunted and may feel they have to "be clever" with an idea, or "perfect" with their photo.

How about a list of subjects/topics from all of us each time we have a competition: the new promoter/winner can choose. Coming up with a topic can be as difficult as coming up with a photo!

David.

Ian
4th May 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi all - apologies as I am a bit late joining in the debate.

I did set up an email box dedicated to receiving challenge entries but as the challenge evolved it was not used. It's still there and I can make it available to the person 'curating' the challenge at the time, simply changing the password when the next curator gets the task.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Ian

Barkly
5th May 2011, 08:34 AM
I would be interested in participating.

Chevvyf1
5th May 2011, 09:17 AM
Ok ME TOO! are we posting some Themes each ? for a ballot and 12 to be selected or shall we just get on with the first comp? and ask Ian for a Theme ?

I am happy to "BUMP" it (but away end of may for hols so would need cover then?)

I vote that part of winning is posting the next Theme and although the Winner may enter, they are not able to choose their own image!

Here is the In House Competition Rules for another 4M

This week's theme is ???

I was tempted to have The Wedding as the theme, but given our overseas members and, no doubt, the lack of enthusiasm for this event in some quarters, I'm going for ??? so there's something for everyone!

Monthly In-House Competitions close on 1st Tuesday of the Month at 20:00hrs. (this gives time before the Weekend for planning?

All entries in the ENTRY thread.

1. The competition is open to anybody.
2. No stock shots - all components of the entries must be taken after the theme has been announced.
3. Only one entry per person.
4. If you change your entry please delete the old one.
5. Competition closes Tuesday .. date month 2011 at 20.00hrs.
6. A new topic to be posted no later than 24 hrs after the winning announcement, so please check the results.
7. Please keep all discussions to the "Discussion thread".
8. The winner will be required to set the theme and judge the entries of the next week's competition. Please make sure you are available when submitting an image.
9. The winner is to be announced in the "and the winner is" thread within 12 hrs of the competition closing.

The main instruction for the MONTH, though, is to HAVE FUN!

SO we would need a "and the Winner is" thread for the winner info and shot. then we post a monthly Theme for ENTRIES only ; and we post a monthly Discussions.

Suggest Theme Entries is No. Month/Year eg June is Theme Entries 6/2011; Theme Discussion 6/2011
- comments please ? we could get one going for a short month of May ?

my suggestion would be "Bloomin Summer is here"

gregles
5th May 2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds blooming marvellous lets get cracking*chr

wfk
5th May 2011, 11:21 AM
I hope you don't mind - just some observations!

1) I don't go to weddings very often so I wouldn't be able to contribute to that one if it was ever used

2) You haven't given very long for voting

3) Wouldn't Bloomin Summer be better in July/August? :confused:

*chr

Chevvyf1
5th May 2011, 11:44 AM
If you want Bloomin Summer later OK! BUT as the Winner chooses the theme it may not BE chosen :(

We could have Wedding - it could be a church; a coach and horses; any bride and groom at any place for a wedding ! I do not go to many either - but they are a public event in church and so anyone can go inside or be outside to catch a shot ! OR

For a Wedding ... it could be a still life of a bouquet; or two or one gold rings; something blue, something borrowed etc.,

The possibilities are endless ... sss ... sss

How about three weeks for photos incl. three weekends.
COMP CLOSES on Tuesday at 8pm then a WEEK for VOTING; Winner ANNOUNCED on Weds and next COMP Theme up Thursday.
Actually we need dates to be SET - logistics of 28 day months ... and to make it MONTHLY (not 4 weekly!) so

COMP closes on 4th Tuesday 8pm
Winner announced on 1st Wednesday
New Theme announced on 1st Thursday

SO we can get one in NOW ! :D:D:D:D:D

Chevvyf1
5th May 2011, 11:52 AM
I HAVE GOT CRACKING ! posted a NEW Thread WINNERS of In House ONLY ! I shall ask Ian to make it a STICKY !

Now if some can agree on the first Theme I am happy to post that?

wfk
5th May 2011, 12:00 PM
Bloomin Marvellous! ;)

Grumpy Hec
6th May 2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks chevvyf1 *chr

I like the latest set of proposals and if I understand correctly all we need to do is set the first theme and off we go.

Some suggestions, if it's not to be weddings, from me

bloomin
light
solitude
togetherness
water
solidity
Given the time of year "bloomin" may be appropriate as a starter. It is also a popular theme amongst many posters so may help to get things going again with a decent entry.

cheers

Hec

Barkly
6th May 2011, 08:05 AM
Its getting close to blooming winter here - had a first frost this morning.

Chevvyf1
6th May 2011, 08:29 AM
Well Terry the theme is "Bloomin" so you could do "Bloomin COLD" with a shot of frost or ICE ! Do you have Ice there ??? :D

ITs UP and running COME ON Chaps post on the Discussion about your entry thoughts - then your entry in the ENTRIES only thread and discussions !

Chevvyf1
6th May 2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks chevvyf1 *chr

I like the latest set of proposals and if I understand correctly all we need to do is set the first theme and off we go.

Some suggestions, if it's not to be weddings, from me

bloomin
light
solitude
togetherness
water
solidity
Given the time of year "bloomin" may be appropriate as a starter. It is also a popular theme amongst many posters so may help to get things going again with a decent entry.

cheers

Hec

Hec I am just about to post a thread " MiH Theme ideas" perhaps you would like to post these on there ? It also gives ideas to Winner who have mislaid their "Theme thought" !:rolleyes:

Barkly
7th May 2011, 07:32 AM
Well Terry the theme is "Bloomin" so you could do "Bloomin COLD" with a shot of frost or ICE ! Do you have Ice there ??? :D....

That made me laugh.

Will think about this!

Chevvyf1
7th May 2011, 08:01 AM
That made me laugh.

Good ! That is ONE HAPPIER PERSON in the World who has exercised all ALL THEIR FACE MUSCLES TODAY *yes*yes*yes

urmmmm ! YOU must have ICE, in the freezer ? :D

Chevvyf1
13th May 2011, 06:38 PM
Well done for reminding me of this :( I need to bump it up !

Chevvyf1
13th May 2011, 06:41 PM
Is anyone going to enter ? pleeeeeasee !

LightingMan
31st May 2011, 10:26 AM
err :(

Anyone want to kick it off?

How about the person who set and received the most entries goes again?

LightingMan
31st May 2011, 10:27 AM
or has the challenge been set and I just can't find it?

DavidJ1609
31st May 2011, 11:49 AM
or has the challenge been set and I just can't find it?

May I offer a vote in favour of you setting the challenge? *chr

Somebody has to do it, and I've had my turn.:)

I look forward to this being reinstated.

David.

LightingMan
31st May 2011, 12:01 PM
Okay so the title is...

One of these things is not like the others. Yes I used to watch Sesame Street!

Closing date will be 12:00 GMT on the 28th June. Votes to be cast by 24:00 GMT on the 30th June.

I'll post this and make it sticky tonight when I get in from work.

Is there a Facebook or Twitter page for the forum - if not why not?

LightingMan
31st May 2011, 12:03 PM
Anyone know what number this photo challenge should be?

DavidJ1609
31st May 2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone know what number this photo challenge should be?

How about starting from scratch, and calling it "Monthly Challenge - June" ? :)

We won't need the year, as it should be clear from the post date and, of course, by the time we get round to June again, 2011 June will be on previous pages in the forum!

David.

LightingMan
31st May 2011, 12:32 PM
good idea but too late it's up!

LightingMan
28th June 2011, 08:20 AM
It's running again but if you want to enter you have under 3 hours left!

See here...

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14915