PDA

View Full Version : The WORST thing about E-5 is

Chevvyf1
1st May 2011, 10:33 AM
for me, that all my FAV and past BEST photos, I now know, can be dramatically improved - if taken again with E-5 !

Trouble is, do I have to go on those ONCE IN A LIFETIME HOLIDAYS all over again ? *yes Venice for the Carnival and Balls - will cost double today, that of 2004 ... let alone ... and ... !

Best thing is, I got it BEFORE the Seychelles *chr

and its AMAZING that the Metering mode in LV calaculates the light level differences in 324 SEPARATE AREAS - as OPPOSED to 49 areas using the Viewfinder ! So although I really do prefer using a viewfinder, GUESS WHAT? I changed now to LV ! :D:D:D ... page 46 of E-5 manual !

What is YOUR WORST and BEST thing about the E-5 ?

Wreckdiver
1st May 2011, 10:36 AM
The price :eek:

Steve

stevednp3
1st May 2011, 11:33 AM
My Best thing has to be the quality and sharpness :D worst thing is that I miss the dial from e30 and other models :o Although I have overcome this with the excellent Myset modes *yes

Ross the fiddler
1st May 2011, 12:19 PM
The worst thing for me is I can't afford to get one. :(

Seonnaidh
1st May 2011, 05:34 PM
I can't record RAw files to one card and JPEGS to the 2nd card.
Why not?
Surely it can't be rocket science.

wanderer
1st May 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm with Ross and Wreckdiver...........at the moment:)

ozzie
1st May 2011, 10:20 PM
I love the sharp detail , very good CAF and the easy to see LCD. And the fact the images make me look a better photographer than I am :) The worst thing is the LCD sticks out and makes ir hard to press the left direction button with my big fingers
John

Greytop
2nd May 2011, 12:48 AM
The worst, to be honest is the mass and size (although I'm getting used to it). If Pentax can do it with the K-7 / K-5 Oly could have done it with the E-3 / E-5.

But to counter the negative the best has to be the image quality and definition from a mere 12 megapixel file, I still find it amazing when I open a file to 100% in Capture One.

David Morison
2nd May 2011, 05:47 AM
The worst thing about the E5 is that there are not enough function buttons to have tasks assigned to them. I am now comfortable with the use and handling of the camera but find I have to refer to the screen too much to to change some settings, The rest is just superb!

David

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2011, 08:46 AM
I'm with Ross and Wreckdiver...........at the moment:)

Ahhh! But not for very long ... have your ordered yet and awaiting delivery ? *yes OR maybe not quite ready to jump ship *note

Don't worry, once you get one you will realise it was worth :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: selling a motorbike to fund the purchase :D for the BETTER IQ NOW ... and I did not ride THAT 748 bike as much as my TRUSTY OLD Monster ...

DerekW
2nd May 2011, 10:31 PM
The eyecup attachment method - the bayonet method used on the E1 was excellent very difficult to lose the cup but very easy to remove it to put on the VA-1 Variable Angle finder. Live view is not a substitute for the VA-1

Chevvyf1
3rd May 2011, 07:30 AM
The eyecup attachment method - the bayonet method used on the E1 was excellent very difficult to lose the cup but very easy to remove it to put on the VA-1 Variable Angle finder. Live view is not a substitute for the VA-1

I do NOT like using LV BUT have closed the shutter for the viewfinder as the LV Metering Points are 300+ and Viewfinder 49 !

xp1
4th May 2011, 10:48 AM
Why not?

You should be able to switch from one card to the other in the menu settings. Check the manual.

Greytop
4th May 2011, 11:02 AM
You should be able to switch from one card to the other in the menu settings. Check the manual.

I agree yes you can switch from one card to the other but you cannot shoot RAW+Jpeg simultaneously with Jpegs to one card and RAWs to the other.
I think that is what Seonnaidh would like to do.

Ian
4th May 2011, 11:59 AM
The worst, to be honest is the mass and size (although I'm getting used to it). If Pentax can do it with the K-7 / K-5 Oly could have done it with the E-3 / E-5.

But to counter the negative the best has to be the image quality and definition from a mere 12 megapixel file, I still find it amazing when I open a file to 100% in Capture One.

Olympus designed the E-5 to be a body that balances well with the Top Pro lenses. It's smaller than equivalent Nikon and Canon models. And (part from the f/2 super-fast Top Pro lenses) you get a combination with lens that should be smaller and lighter than most of the competition in the semi-pro category.

Ian

Greytop
4th May 2011, 12:19 PM
Olympus designed the E-5 to be a body that balances well with the Top Pro lenses. It's smaller than equivalent Nikon and Canon models. And (part from the f/2 super-fast Top Pro lenses) you get a combination with lens that should be smaller and lighter than most of the competition in the semi-pro category.

Ian

I take your point Ian but for me certainly it's still a little on the large size. I understand others may prefer a larger body but my preference has always been something on the smaller size but weather and dust proofed into the bargain (I don't ask for much do I :D).
Again my personal opinion but I don't feel that a smaller E-5 body (when used together with a grip) would have been that much of a handy cap with the larger Top Pro lenses, after all the approach to supporting the camera changes markedly when you have a large and heavy lens mounted.

For me this is the only 'real' negative to the E-5 body, pretty much all other aspects get the thumbs up from me. I suppose nothing is going to please 100% of the punters 100% of the time.

Seonnaidh
4th May 2011, 05:24 PM
I appreciate what your saying about being able to switch cards and even copy images over from card to card. But in my ideal world it would be very nice if I could record RAW files to one card whilst similtaneously copying JPEGS to the other.
Or; copying RAW/JPEGS to both cards at the same time.

It can be so handy for me at times.

Chevvyf1
4th May 2011, 06:40 PM
Oh ! I only never shoot .jpegs with my E- cameras; Save that for the TG-810 & FE-270
But have s/ware that creates RAW & .jpeg copies to another file/disk on PC as a batch process (Corel) !

Seonnaidh
6th May 2011, 09:54 AM
Yes I can use Aperture to generate JPRGS for me on download but the big advantage for me is mainly at weddings and other events
We offer a prints on demand service at the reception/ whatever, and normally while myself and my wife are taking images we have someone else manning the laptops and turning out prints for customers.
Even with the latest Apple MacBook Pro's RAW images take considerably longer
to download and process than JPEGS. With the JPEGS down loading onto one laptop a second laptop can be called into action to process RAWs if we have a dodgy JPEG.
When we return to base we download all the RAWS onto the Macs then back them up on external hard drives then back them up again onto DVD.
If we had the facility to record JPEG and RAW similtaneously onto seperate cards the on site processing would be much quicker leading to less stress and quicker customer turn round.
Fortunately we have 11 weddings booked for May plus three events. We estimate that between two of us we will take around 500 images at each wedding and around a 1000 images at each event.
Saving images in JPEG to 2gb cards which are returned to the print station as soon as they are full by a 'runner' and saving the RAW images onto 16GB SDHC cards would make life a whole lot easier.
Last year at one particular event we processed and sold over 700 prints in 6 hours, at this level you need to be very slick otherwise your customers walk away, and you loose revenue and even worse you loose bookings.

Joop
9th May 2011, 06:01 PM
For those who want to separate RAW from JPEG. There is no way that with an software update that we get the function RAW drive A, JPEG drive b. I get this out of the experience of users who copy from one card to another which seems to be a slow process. This tells me that there is only one "processor" for the drive which is switched from card A to card B.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it very much.

But...
There is a solution. Never asked yourself why the doors in the E-3 and E-5 are plastic instead of metal like the one in the E-1? The answer is Wi-Fi cards. You can put in a Eye-fi Wi-Fi card and sent the JPEG's to a computer and hold the RAW on the card. The cards are coming with 4 and 8Gb of memory alongside a Wi-Fi transmitter. The setup software package is for Windows and Mac. The cards are SD format, so you need a converter for the E-3 and you can use it the E-5 SD slot.

So, your wedding problem?. Smile, your shooting both, the JPEG's are transmitted directly to your laptop, your RAW's are saved on the card. You could however run in the problem that the transmitter can't reach your laptop, but it seems to be a decent distance.

Chevvyf1
9th May 2011, 06:16 PM
Whoop! Whoop! great news !

donmcmahan
10th May 2011, 10:34 PM
OK there's probably not many videographers on this forum but given the technology crossover possible with panasonic micro 4/3 and the video capabilities of the GH2 I can't figure out why the E5 doesn't have full HD 1080p25 capability

ringneck
11th May 2011, 12:27 AM
On the one occasion I actually saw the elusive monster ...at Focus 2011....I was surprised about the size of it.It was SMALLER than I thought it would be !! And I liked it.

CHEVVYf1...Not having one I do not understand how/what you mean about the difference with or without LV.......
and its AMAZING that the Metering mode in LV calaculates the light level differences in 324 SEPARATE AREAS - as OPPOSED to 49 areas using the Viewfinder ! So although I really do prefer using a viewfinder, GUESS WHAT? I changed now to LV ! ... page 46 of E-5 manual ! ......

Not only the price of the E5 but I would have to upgrade on lenses as well.....now that would be pricey.

Keith *chr

monoboard
12th May 2011, 11:31 AM
Why not?

That could be handy, can some one have a word with Oly to mod the software.

reg
Monoboard

Cathrine Stephansen
31st May 2011, 05:27 AM

Ian

My colleague has the K5, and that doesn't have the feel of the E5. I have relatively small hands, but still like the robustness of the E5 compared to the Pentax.

gazza95
31st May 2011, 06:02 AM
Is that I would need to have got some SHG lenses to show up more of the E-5 good characteristics. :)

Greytop
31st May 2011, 08:30 AM
My colleague has the K5, and that doesn't have the feel of the E5. I have relatively small hands, but still like the robustness of the E5 compared to the Pentax.

Feel is a bit subjective because sometimes 'smaller' is equated with not as well built. There are certainly some areas where the K-7 (same body as the K-5) doesn't match my E-5, the obvious one is autofocus hesitation and speed when used with lenses featuring their SDM motor (DA* range).
Another area where they fall short compared to Olympus is the optical quality of some of their 'Professional zooms', the 16-50 comes immediately to mind but that's not really a body issue.

But in terms of build, magnesium alloy body, stainless steel chassis, fully weather and dust sealed the K7/K5 is every bit as good as an E-5 but I agree you could say the feel is different ;)

Edit: I'll admit that I have a soft spot for Pentax gear as well as Olympus.