PDA

View Full Version : E-5 and BIGMA ? Settings

Chevvyf1
28th April 2011, 09:36 AM
Hi I know PeterD and Derek both use this combo and Ozzie and myslef are recent BIGMA Parents, me E-5 birthed this week only ... ;)

Any suggestions on settings for using BIGMA at the further point of 450-480 ?

PeterD
28th April 2011, 10:53 AM
Hi I know PeterD and Derek both use this combo and Ozzie and myslef are recent BIGMA Parents, me E-5 birthed this week only ... ;)

Any suggestions on settings for using BIGMA at the further point of 450-480 ?

Hi Chevvy, You seem to have caught the exposure setting right, judging from your blackbird shot. Aperture settings for the E5 are best at f8 to f10. The higher setting is best for detail if you can get away with it. I try to keep ISO at about 200 but its fine to increase this to get your shutter speed up.
Enjoy your new acquisition. The Bigma and the E5 work extremely well together*yes.

Chevvyf1
28th April 2011, 11:32 AM
Oooh Peter thanks for this ! I may pop over to see the PG Falcons & Newts this weekend - infact tomorrow may be a great day for it and then onto langstone for some Sunsets after Fish & Chips from the newspaper!!!

PeterD
28th April 2011, 11:38 AM
Oooh Peter thanks for this ! I may pop over to see the PG Falcons & Newts this weekend - infact tomorrow may be a great day for it and then onto langstone for some Sunsets after Fish & Chips from the newspaper!!!

Don't forget to visit the Oysterbed site. The Tern arrived there last weekend and the islands are getting very busy. I shall post some images later.

Chevvyf1
28th April 2011, 11:58 AM
Peter do you have a location map of where the Oysterbeds are please?

DerekW
28th April 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for asking where the oyster beds are - saved me asking <g>

PS I do not have sufficient core stability to handle the big lens.

PeterD
28th April 2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Chevvy & Derek. There is a Google Map on this page (http://www.imageinuk.com/Landscapes/Nature-Reserves/The-Oysterbeds/14084085_2bd5Y) which should help you with directions.

Sorry for the late reply but I have just got in from the Chalk Quarry.

DerekW
28th April 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks - near the Hayling Billy bridge or ex bridge -

Chevvyf1
28th April 2011, 04:51 PM
I think access may be along a path, south of the Esso garage?

Chevvyf1
28th April 2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for asking where the oyster beds are - saved me asking <g>

PS I do not have sufficient core stability to handle the big lens.

Your Welcome Derek - maybe see you there - maybe we could all meet up Sunday ?

Derek I too am unable to manage the BIGMA, handheld, but ok with Monopod and Giotto ball head !

PeterD
28th April 2011, 08:50 PM
There are two car parks.

1. As you leave the road bridge onto Hayling Island, the first car park is on your right just after the Garage with the Coop Store. If parked here, follow the Hayling Billy Trail west until you reach the old railway alignment then turn left (south). 100 yds down this trail you will see some steps on the right. Up the steps and follow the path to the Oysterbeds.

2. Carry on the main road past 1. above until you come to the Esso Garage on your right. Just after the garage, there is a lane to the right which takes you to the Oysterbed car park. Leave the car park heading north and follow the coastal path. This will bring you directly to the Oysterbeds.

I would recommend option 2 above as there is also an overflow car park here.

If you get into trouble call me and I shall try and help. Chevvy has my phone numbers (I think).

Hope this helps. I am not sure if I will have much time available on Sunday but I may be able to join you for some of the time.

Chevvyf1
29th April 2011, 02:11 AM
Tides and Sunrise/Sunset for Sunday Temp 64 and WHITE CLOUD ? wind 19 Easterly!

Sun 1/05/11
TIME HEIGHT (m) 04:19:08 L +1.26 11:17:41 H +4.30 16:34:42 L +1.18 23:33:57 H +4.47 Sunrise 05:37 / Sunset 20:24

Well I was thinking 3pm - 8pm at the 2nd Car Park; and maybe getting a nice sunset looking to the Spinnaker BUT with white cloud = NO chance !

Peter what is a better time for the birds feeding here ?
Monday I am at Popham !

PeterD
29th April 2011, 06:38 AM
Tides and Sunrise/Sunset for Sunday Temp 64 and WHITE CLOUD ? wind 19 Easterly!

Sun 1/05/11
TIME HEIGHT (m) 04:19:08 L +1.26 11:17:41 H +4.30 16:34:42 L +1.18 23:33:57 H +4.47 Sunrise 05:37 / Sunset 20:24

Well I was thinking 3pm - 8pm at the 2nd Car Park; and maybe getting a nice sunset looking to the Spinnaker BUT with white cloud = NO chance !

Peter what is a better time for the birds feeding here ?
Monday I am at Popham !

Good morning Chevvy.
The first image in my 'Dusk at the Oysterbeds' thread shows you where he sun sets relative to a position in the second car-park. This is over Portsdown Hill which is about 5 miles north of the Spinnaker tower. Combining the two would be very difficult. Your camera position would need to be much further south. One way round this may be to stitch together a number of portrait shots to create a large panorama. It can be done but you need to remember to use manual exposure having established the brightest part of you image to set it and also manual focus and use these settings for all of the exposures. A tripod would be essential and make sure that it is absolutely level at the camera mounting point. Check that the camera remains level as you pan the area you wish to photograph. IS should be off.
The reason I suggest Portrait and NOT Landscape orientation is to to provide a deeper panorama image rather than just a narrow panorama image when all all images are stitched together. Each image exposure should overlap by about 30% to make sure the PP software can make the joins effectively. Sounds complicated but this is very much do-able. If you want even more depth to the final panorama create another row of overlapping images above or below the first set with the same degree of overlap.
As to which software to use to effect the stitching, Photoshop has this capability and will do it automatically for you. There are also low-cost panorama packages around that will do this too.
With careful planning, you could include the sunset and the effect it has on the buildings of Portsmouth, including the Spinnaker Tower. Just a thought.

This is an example of 6 portrait images stitched together. They were taken hand-held but later ones were taken on a tripod to guarantee vertical alignment and maximise the final image size.

http://www.imageinuk.com/Recent-Photos/New-Landscape-uploads/Langstone-Chichester-Harbour/729029083_kA6BU-L.jpg

The Common Tern have only just arrived from their long journey and are spending time fishing and eating to recover. You will see them at any time of the day flying in with fish and or crabs. In the evening, all return to the islands to roost. The Black-headed gulls are actively into their breeding cycle. Quite a few nests have been built and more are being built. You will see the Gulls bringing nest material to the island and some already sitting on nests.
The best bet for seeing waders closer in to shore is from about 2 hours before high tide.
Land birds tend to have two peak feeding times - first thing in the morning and mid to late afternoon. At this time of the year, you will still see them spending time on exposed branches, singing.

I hope this is enough info for the time being.