PDA

View Full Version : Why no printed manual?

Smallcreep
26th April 2011, 07:42 PM
Opening the box containing my new E-PL2, I was disappointed to see that the dealer had removed or had forgotten to include the printed manual. Sent an e-mail, only to be informed (patronisingly) that a printed manual was not supplied. Tried to make sense of the PDF version. Gave up in frustration and ordered a printed copy from OTC, cost 12.30. This is twice the expected size and will not fit easily into my camera bag, in contrast to my E-30 manual. But at least I can adjust the settings to my requirements without a lot of screen scrolling and button clicking. What a pity to diminish the pleasure of purchasing this camera by the cheapskate decision not to supply a printed manual. Try harder next time, Olympus.

Wreckdiver
26th April 2011, 08:03 PM
Ah, but it saves on trees ;)

Steve

francois
26th April 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm with smallcreep on that one. Reading a PDF on screen is a real pain. And if you have to spend money getting one printed, you may as well give Olympus a tenner and get one in the small size format they've used for a while now.

Unfortunately, there is no eBook reader (iPad included) that displays a PDF in a way that is as good to read as text on a Sony, Kindle...

DekHog
26th April 2011, 08:34 PM
Aren't all camera manuals rubbish anyway? I've never seen an Olympus one that was any use to me.... :)

Wreckdiver
26th April 2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, actually I do agree that you can't beat a printed manual. I have to admit that I have printed off all my camera manuals (on the company printer ;) ). My green side is for the trees though which makes me feel somewhat guilty :rolleyes:

Steve

francois
26th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Aren't all camera manuals rubbish anyway? I've never seen an Olympus one that was any use to me.... :)

Hum... yes, you may have a point there !

Joking aside, it's good to have just to get used to the various functions and buttons.

Chevvyf1
26th April 2011, 08:57 PM
I guess it is because so very few people actually READ their manual ! AND manuals used to be published in 7 languages!

once downloaded manuals can be printed two pages A4 to 1 page A4 and back to back (odd first then even on the back of odd!) or just the pages you want to look up!

I would be upset if they did not supply an eye cup with screen cameras! BUT many do not use eyecups:)

Howi
26th April 2011, 09:16 PM
I guess it is because so very few people actually READ their manual ! AND manuals used to be published in 7 languages!

once downloaded manuals can be printed two pages A4 to 1 page A4 and back to back (odd first then even on the back of odd!) or just the pages you want to look up!

I would be upset if they did not supply an eye cup with screen cameras! BUT many do not use eyecups:)

Goto Talk Photography forum to find out how many people read the manual, it's also inversly proportional to the price of the camera.......

Smallcreep
27th April 2011, 06:57 AM
Then, for those of you who want to save the ecologically damaging limitless commercial pine forests of the northern hemisphere (how many good landscapes a.k.a. photo-opportunities have been blanketed out that way?), or have an intuitive grasp of the non-obvious functions of your cameras, we could be provided with a voucher or website that allows us to request a printed and bound copy of the manual in the language of our choosing ... at no additional cost.

David M
27th April 2011, 10:22 AM
Goto Talk Photography forum to find out how many people read the manual, it's also inversely proportional to the price of the camera.......

That's so true.

I always download the PDF manual before buying the camera so I can set it up as soon as the battery's charged.

I don't think I've opened a paper manual since the OM4 hit the shelves.

Chevvyf1
27th April 2011, 12:16 PM
I have just taken delivery of an E-5 and a TG-610 BOTH have Manuals ! and CD with big manual on !

Smallcreep
30th April 2011, 12:24 PM
Ordered a VR-310 for my daughter. Parcel arrived this morning and in the box there is ... a printed manual. 600 for an E-PL2 and no printed manual. 130 for a VR-310 and a printed manual is supplied. To borrow a phrase from the far side of the ocean, go figure.

Greytop
30th April 2011, 09:34 PM
That's very strange, my E-PL2 and twin lens kit came complete with the printed manual :confused:

I would question your dealer further.....

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum :)

Smallcreep
1st May 2011, 08:54 AM
I would question your dealer further.....

To tell the truth, I would rather let the matter drop. I have the printed manual I purchased and have little confidence that the dealer will do anything other than prevaricate, given that their earlier response was to indicate that I had got what I paid for. Obviously a company not to deal with again. Time to move on. Time to get out there again and take more pictures with my wonderful little camera.

If anyone in Olympus wants to take this up (it's their reputation that's at issue here), I would of course be willing to provide more detail.

pepper
1st May 2011, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't mind the manual coming on a disc, as long as it didn't come in PDF format!!!!!!!

I hate hate hate trying to read PDF documents on a computer, I can never seem to get the size right or get them to scroll smoothly!

In the end I give up and print the things out, if they came on something more logical that was flowing and simple to read then it would be a whole lot easier!

PDF's are almost as bad to get my head around as itunes!

Chevvyf1
1st May 2011, 10:20 AM
:eek:... PDF's are almost as bad to get my head around as itunes!

Oh! NO! Surely NOT THAT BAD :eek: