PDA

View Full Version : 8gb on the cheap for your E-620

francois
26th April 2011, 07:08 PM
I was looking at the web prices for an Olympus 2Gb XD card. After checking eBay, amazon, 7 dayshop and the usual suspects, I found out that there was a cheaper option that would enable me to use 8Gb with the E-620.

At 7dayshop, they have the Olympus MASD-1 MicroSD to XD adapter for only 1.99. Add a Transcend MicroSDHC 8GB Ultra Speed Class 6 for 10.99 and you've got 8Gb of storage for your E-620 for the same price as an Olympus 2Gb SD.

Sweet !

PeterBirder
26th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Beware this may not work. If you look at the Wikepedia article on Xd cards it says that the adapter is purely a mechanical device and unless the camera is compatable with the SD protocol it will not work. I believe most people who actually use Xd cards only do so as a backup in case of a CF card failure. The Xd card is a pretty useless and now obsolete device best avoided. See Wrotniak's article www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/xd.html

Regards

Ian
26th April 2011, 08:02 PM
I'd use the MicroSD in a SD-CF card adapter myself.

Ian

DekHog
26th April 2011, 08:11 PM
I wonder what happened to Wrotniak, it seems he's not posted since 2009? Hope he's ok....

francois
26th April 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks to Ian for confirming. I had read it was working, hence the decision to buy. And in any case, I could have recycled the microsd card in my phone had it not worked.

David Morison
26th April 2011, 08:30 PM
I must admit to having a total failure with the XD in my E30. Buying it just for panorama work, the camera would not recognise it as a panorama enabled card even though it was the official Olympus article intended for pano. A 2nd one purchased from a different reputable supplier was no better. After extensive communication with Olympus technical they eventually hadn't got a clue and stopped responding to my pleas. It's a wonder I didn't sell up and buy Canon right then!

David

francois
26th April 2011, 08:32 PM
The Xd card is a pretty useless and now obsolete device best avoided.

True to some extent. But I wanted an XD for backup purposes (to empty the CF onto the XD in case it got full and I wouldn't have a spare one) and to try the panorama feature. Since I was set on getting that XD, I might as well get 8Gb instead of 2 for the same price !

PeterBirder
26th April 2011, 10:37 PM
Francois
Sorry to be pedantic but the 7dayshop product description lists the Olympus cameras with which the adapter can be used and they are all compacts. It also has a warning that the adapter is not the same form as the xd card and trying to fit it to other cameras may damage the camera.
Also Ian said he would use an SD to Compact Flash adapter which is a different matter altogether.
Hope you don't mind but I'd hate you to damage your e-620, that would be an expensive exercise.*yes

Regards

francois
26th April 2011, 11:55 PM
No worries, I'll report when it's arrived.

StephenL
27th April 2011, 07:25 AM
Last I heard he had very heavy work commitments.

I wonder what happened to Wrotniak, it seems he's not posted since 2009? Hope he's ok....

francois
6th May 2011, 02:27 PM
OK, don't make the same mistake as I did.

Unfortunately, I couldn't verify that using a microSD works. The reason is that the adapter itself, ref. MASD-1, doesn't slot in the E-620 xD slot at all (yes, I did check carefully).

I'll be using the 8gb microSD card in my phone so no biggy.

Barkly
7th May 2011, 07:37 AM
I only use an 8 Gig or 16 Gig CF Cards with the xD as a backup.