PDA

View Full Version : Biofos E-5 review

Shaw
25th April 2011, 10:10 PM
John Foster's review of the E-5 here (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e5_tst.html)

stevednp3
26th April 2011, 08:02 AM
This is a load if rubbish if you ask me, was the guy even using an e5 or is there something wrong with his eyes :confused:

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 08:37 AM
This is a load if rubbish if you ask me, was the guy even using an e5 or is there something wrong with his eyes :confused:

He may have been a little conservative about the improvements brought by the E-5 over the E-3 but he did conclude that he will eventually get an E-5 and that speaks volumes. Rather than an under-estimation of the E-5 I think it is more a case of how much he values previous E-System bodies. Also, he places himself firmly in the court of us diehards who will continue with the system well into the future even if no more DSLRs are forthcomming.

John Foster is a long standing Olympus aficionado, an acknowleged authority on the E-System (indeed all things Olympus) and has collaborated closely with Wrotniak over the years. His review of the E-5 may have been less than enthusiastic compared to some but I suspect his conclusions were tempered somewhat by his disappointment that this, as he interprets it, is the last E-System DSLR. Even so, nothing in his review has dampened my enthusiasm for one day joining the ranks of E-5 owners, an action which has not yet happened purely out of financial considerations. :)

francois
26th April 2011, 12:44 PM
+1 with Zuiko. I thought this was an excellent piece.

stevednp3
26th April 2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry I take back my statement, I read this first thing this morning and was hasty in replying and jumping to defend my beloved e-5 :o

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 06:29 PM
Sorry I take back my statement, I read this first thing this morning and was hasty in replying and jumping to defend my beloved e-5 :o

Hey Steve, you don't have to take it back if you feel he didn't get the balance of his review right. :)

stevednp3
26th April 2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Steve, you don't have to take it back if you feel he didn't get the balance of his review right. :)

I had a 2nd read, although I dont agree with everything, it dosent seam as bad now as it did first thing this morning, strange that :o

Ray Shotter
26th April 2011, 06:51 PM
John Foster's review of the E-5 here (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e5_tst.html)

An interesting read but his conclusions are certainly a little depressing. I am very unlikely to purchase an E-5 for reasons of cost and my preference for a smaller camera body which gives comparable results. The E-P2 gets close to doing that for me !

However, I look forward to all or most of the improvements found in the E-5 being included in an E-P3 (which I hope will be slightly larger than the current Pen series and will include a dust proof and splash proof body similar to the E-3 and E-5).

Ray.

francois
26th April 2011, 07:20 PM
An interesting read but his conclusions are certainly a little depressing.

Indeed, but whoever buys an E-5 now does so with a full understanding on where they stand.

I have decided to get one because based on the current range of Zuiko lenses and the technical quality the E-5 gives you now, I can see myself using it for many years to come, just like I used my E-10 until it gave up the ghost.

With computers, electronic instruments, digital cameras... you need to buy according to the use you get from them now as there will always be something better and cheaper down the line.

And from an investment perspective, nothing will hold its value forever. When I look at how much I spent on E-10, all attachment lenses (inc the 300), winder, FL-40, accessories, etc. then the current resale value is pityful.

Greytop
26th April 2011, 08:01 PM
A good and balanced review even if a little on the 'glass half empty' side.
I can understand Brian's frustration to some degree, he obviously appreciates the system as a whole with a passion like many of us do here.
And he is quite correct that it is the system as whole that really does deliver the goods. It is just a shame that Olympus have been unable to sell the idea to the mass market of D-SLR users (for one reason or another).