PDA

View Full Version : End of E system ?

monoboard
24th April 2011, 07:01 PM
Where are we going with the E system, at the moment nobody seems to have confidence to invest in more expensive lenses when the clock is ticking.

when you price lenses like the ed 35-100 or ed 150 its a lot of cost to invest when you dont know where the system is going or what its going to be worth in a couple of years!!

reg

monoboard

monoboard

jamie allan
24th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Reg,
I've got to say that I've never really seen DSLR photography as an investment - to me it's a hobby. Even if you look at the other brands and their relentless changes you couldn't be certain of backing the correct horse - so to speak. I've just bought a second hand E-3 and I'm really happy with both it and the lenses I can still buy - 1st or 2nd hand. Realistically the kit does not catastrophically fail so I don't see a problem. I'm enjoying taking photographs that I think are better because of the kit I've got. I'm just enjoying it.

timg
24th April 2011, 07:41 PM
According to "that rumor site" ex Olympus chief Mr. Watanabe has been interviewed saying that the Exx line will continue along with the Ex line... if they do actually go through with that and make an E50 it will restore a lot of confidence.

monoboard
24th April 2011, 08:02 PM
I view it as a hobby and still have my old OM2, E510 & my E3 which is under a year old but as over the years you add more toys which over the years is rather a lot of pennies and as i dont have a bottomless pocket i have to consider that if i were to spend 5000 pounds over the course of a couple of years and if it was only worth 1,500 a couple of years later i would be a bit concerned. I realise that it will still take the same pics but its nice if the manufacture keeps investing so that you can upgrade various bits over the years rather than somthing totally differnt.

monoboard

Zuiko
24th April 2011, 08:40 PM
I appreciate that Olympus ownership is not for the faint hearted and like many others I do look over the wall at what the neighbours have to offer from time to time. However, as a complete package I still cannot find any thing remotely affordable or practical which could tempt me to switch. Canon, Nikon and Pentax all make some nice cameras which I'm sure I could get used to but none have absolutely all the features I love about the E-3 and/or the E-5. That's not a deal breaker, but the lenses are as far as I'm concerned so I will just have to continue to live with the uncertainty. However, I regard the E-5 as an eventual upgrade that will serve me as far into the future as it's possible to look with any manufacturer. Others must, of course, make their own judgement but I plan to continue to enjoy what I've got and add to it when I am able.

RogerMac
24th April 2011, 09:09 PM
Well I think that the one thing that will make Olympus continue developing the E series is if we go on buying into it. A couple of weeks ago I bought an E5 as my contrubition to the campaign, so far I am overjoyed with my purchase.

Roger

timg
24th April 2011, 09:26 PM
Well I think that the one thing that will make Olympus continue developing the E series is if we go on buying into it. A couple of weeks ago I bought an E5 as my contrubition to the campaign, so far I am overjoyed with my purchase.

That's a lovely sentiment but not all of us can or want to spend that much on a camera... I love what I can achieve with the e-system and have no plans to move but I would like some choice in the future other than just Ex and PEN.

The 50mm macro and 50-200mm are still on my wish list and I know they are both superb lenses for FT but as far as I know neither of them are stellar performers when it comes to auto-focus on MFT... not the end of the world I know but still something to keep in the back of the mind.

Chevvyf1
24th April 2011, 09:54 PM
What we buy today, will do what we buy it to do, for many years to come !

I have a 15 years old Toshiba Laptop - it still works and does all I bought it to do ... its a bit s .. l .. o .. w STILL PRINTS TOO; and links to the internet on ... dial up ... its a bit s .. l .. o .. w ! in comparison to my new NB 250 and 140!

So My E-5 I just ordered 24 hours ago, will be compat with all my E1 4/3rd lenses and help the lenses to make even BETTER photos ! and maybe ... like OM 1 still do the job, it was bought to do, well in 50 years time !*chr

BTW ... Olympus DSLR s are just a subset of Oly Imaging and PHEW just look at those babies they make for Medics and Scientists ! The brand would be sold on to realise the potential of many years of research to come in cameras for US from medic/scientists research :) No Japanese Corp will throw ALL THAT PROFIT AWAY !

wanderer
24th April 2011, 09:56 PM
I appreciate that Olympus ownership is not for the faint hearted and like many others I do look over the wall at what the neighbours have to offer from time to time. However, as a complete package I still cannot find any thing remotely affordable or practical which could tempt me to switch.
I'm with you on that one.
The Nikisonycan club is also expensive.
If I wanted to recoup my costs I'd be working so hard at photography that I would barely have time to look here far less comment.
I will be upgrading this year and I won't be getting rid of anything.
I bought my OM-1 in 1976 on a bank loan, paid it off, got another loan and bought some lenses. In 1990 I went to Orkney, Shetland and the Faeroes and before leaving sent the OM-1 for repair. It was stuffed. I went out and bought a VG quality 2nd hand OM-1n. I've still got it, it still works and is loaded with B&W.
As others here say its a hobby.Its the pictures that count and I buy the best I can afford to try for the best quality and practicality. Its just a shame that my 'eye' and imagination often fall short.

Wreckdiver
24th April 2011, 10:57 PM
I bought my Olympus gear for the enjoyment of photography, not as an investment. To me an investment implies a return plus a profit on my money which implies doing photography professionally, which I don't (yet :rolleyes:) do.

However, I have reached a point with Olympus where I don't know where to go from here. I have several of the top Pro lenses and would dearly love the 90-250mm. Zuiko glass just beats the competition and the competition knows it. The cost deters me as I want to be confident that I am going to be able to use the lens (and those I already own) with better cameras in the future. I currently own the E-3 and E-30 but not tempted (yet) by the E-5 with the current price versus its improvements. I don't feel that the Olympus camera bodies match up to the quality of the top lenses.

I don't think that the 4/3rds chip can go much further noise wise or resolution wise than the E-5, I would love to be convinced otherwise. The full frame brigade is calling me loud and clear with low noise, more megapixels (not that important though) and shallow DoF with fast lenses.

I am seriously considering selling my two f2.0 top pro lenses to pay for a D700 (D800?) full frame SLR. I would still keep the rest of my Oly gear as well though.

:confused:

Steve

Ross the fiddler
25th April 2011, 02:25 AM
Here is what I posted on an Australian forum with some of them knocking Olympus for never being as good as the APS-C sensor cameras & also saying there was no future in 4/3's.

Here is a translation of a quote from an interview in China at the P&E 2011 by the Chinese website Tech.sina interviewing the ex Olympus chief Mr. Watanabe

Editor: Are there any plan on new E system camera? In P&E 2011, what Olympus will focus on in the promotion?
WATANABE AKIRA: We are not ready to reveal the details of new products. We will definitely further develop the 1 and 2 digit E system series (e.g. E-5 and E-30) since there are some functionalities cannot be realized in PEN series. But concerning the 3 digit E system series, we are considering replacing it by the PEN series. We be continue to develop lenses for PEN series and at the same time we will continue to develop Four Third lenses. We think that PEN series lenses are still very limited so we might focus more on this in the near future.

It seems like there is still a future in Olympus DSLR's, including bringing out a replacement for the E30.

I won't be giving up Olympus anytime soon as I am enjoying what I have & hope to get some more lenses & maybe another body in the future.

Chevvyf1
25th April 2011, 03:46 AM
Steve I decided to Buy E-5 when ? for the here member name = stevednp3 UG! another Steve !!!

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13785

posted a photo of his daughter (for gran for mothers day !) amazing, and when he took it to be printed the printer was surprised it was Oly :eek: and everyone who viewed it hanging [before he collected it] :eek::eek::eek:

Peters PG Falcons
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13650

Andyf you want sharp
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14162

AND I saw PeterD's and thought these are all low IQ jpeg for WEB :D:D:D

Zuiko
25th April 2011, 04:03 AM
Here is what posted on an Australian forum with some knocking Olympus for never being as good as the APS-C sensor cameras & also saying there was no future in 4/3's.

Here is a translation of a quote from an interview in China at the P&E 2011 by the Chinese website Tech.sina interviewing the ex Olympus chief Mr. Watanabe

Editor: Are there any plan on new E system camera? In P&E 2011, what Olympus will focus on in the promotion?
WATANABE AKIRA: We are not ready to reveal the details of new products. We will definitely further develop the 1 and 2 digit E system series (e.g. E-5 and E-30) since there are some functionalities cannot be realized in PEN series. But concerning the 3 digit E system series, we are considering replacing it by the PEN series. We be continue to develop lenses for PEN series and at the same time we will continue to develop Four Third lenses. We think that PEN series lenses are still very limited so we might focus more on this in the near future.

It seems like there is still a future in Olympus DSLR's, including bringing out a replacement for the E30.

I won't be giving up Olympus anytime soon as I am enjoying what I have & hope to get some more lenses & maybe another body in the future.

It's interesting that an E-30 replacement (E-50?) has been hinted at by Mr Watanabe. Olympus have NEVER said that the E-5 would be the last 4/3 DSLR, what they have said is that there will ALWAYS be a suitable body on which to use the 4/3 lenses. This has widely been (mis)interpreted to mean only MFT cameras in future but it is a real possibility that another DSLR sitting below the E-5 will at some point be produced. If Oly do produce an E-xx with the same sensor/processor/AA filter as the E-5 and price it to be competitive with the Canon 60D it really will be game on! Remember, the E-30 came as a bit of a surprise shortly after the E-3 and it introduced a new sensor to the range......interesting! ;)

However, it's premature to raise hopes too much and I think we have to accept that the E-620 is probably the last of the E-xxx range.

Ian
25th April 2011, 08:14 AM
Let's just say for argument's sake Olympus announces that the E-System is finished from today. Does that mean your camera and lenses, and other lenses compatible with your camera suddenly stop working?

As I have said many times before, nobody has definitively said that the E-System will not continue with additional models. Many were surprised that the E-5 came to fruition. What Olympus has said is that they are working towards a mirror-less roadmap. That does point towards Pen technology but as there is a good deal of commonality between Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds one's investment in Four Thirds is much more secure than, say, when Canon switched from its FD mount to the EOS mount.

I'm predicting an E-1 sized body that takes Micro Four Thirds lenses and Four Thirds lenses with the appropriate adapter. But this won't be until next year at the earliest. In the mean time, I think Olympus would be doing themselves a big favour in producing an E-700, based on the E-6xx body, and I know Watanabe san was very proud of his team's achievement in producing the E-620.

Ian

timg
25th April 2011, 09:50 AM
Let's just say for argument's sake Olympus announces that the E-System is finished from today. Does that mean your camera and lenses, and other lenses compatible with your camera suddenly stop working?

I don't think anyone is suggesting they will, but we all know that technology marches on regardless and it would be nice to have the option to get the new toys as they are available!

stevednp3
25th April 2011, 10:07 AM
Steve I decided to Buy E-5 when ? for the here member name ? posted a photo of his daughter (for gran for mothers day !) amazing, and when he took it to be printed the printer was surprised it was Oly :eek: and everyone who viewed it hanging [before he collected it] :eek::eek::eek:

Peters PG Falcons
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13650

Andyf you want sharp
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14162

AND I saw PeterD's and thought these are all low IQ jpeg for WEB :D:D:D

Whoops, but I'm not sorry that it made you buy an e5 :p :D

Zuiko
25th April 2011, 10:57 AM

As I have said many times before, nobody has definitively said that the E-System will not continue with additional models. Many were surprised that the E-5 came to fruition. What Olympus has said is that they are working towards a mirror-less roadmap. That does point towards Pen technology but as there is a good deal of commonality between Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds one's investment in Four Thirds is much more secure than, say, when Canon switched from its FD mount to the EOS mount.

I'm predicting an E-1 sized body that takes Micro Four Thirds lenses and Four Thirds lenses with the appropriate adapter. But this won't be until next year at the earliest. In the mean time, I think Olympus would be doing themselves a big favour in producing an E-700, based on the E-6xx body, and I know Watanabe san was very proud of his team's achievement in producing the E-620.

Ian

Exactly.

I think we have to get used to the fact that eventually the future for Olympus is mirrorless (but not necessarily Pen) - and probably for many other manufacturers as well. In the meantime we cannot rule out another, interim, full 4/3 body - Olympus openly admit that mirroless technology is not developed enough for all applications at present.

Interesting that Ian suggests an E-700 instead of a continuation of the 6xx line. My money would have been on a double digit body along the lines of the E-30, especially as Olympus have already hinted that they see the Pen range as an adequate replacement for the entry models, but Ian does move in different circles. ;)

Of course, all this talk of further Olympus DSLRs is just speculation, but so is all the talk of no more Four Thirds bodies. Either way you can read too much into the situation so, if you like the cameras and lenses, enjoy and continue to buy. I will. :)

paullus
25th April 2011, 12:52 PM
I posted a topic titled "An interesting development in the pixel race".
A couple of days ago where I wrote about my wife's new Nikon D7000.
I must admit to being the driving force behind her decision to buy the Nikon due to the constant Olympus bashing that goes on.
Well, my neighbours renewed their wedding vows on Saturday and they asked me to take the photos. So we thought two is better than one so my wife and I each took our cameras. I did the main posed shots and she did the incidental. On later examination once again the E5 definitely produced more pleasing results which really has dispelled any lingering doubts I may have had in choosing to stay with Olympus and buying my E5. Even if Olympus do not make another DSLR I can't see how picture quality can be so significantly improved to make it necessary or desirable to get rid of my E5. As far as I'm concerned at the end of the day it's picture quality that counts not the camera it was taken with.

Chevvyf1
25th April 2011, 01:40 PM
I posted a topic titled "An interesting development in the pixel race".
... On later examination once again the E5 definitely produced more pleasing results which really has dispelled any lingering doubts I may have had in choosing to stay with Olympus and buying my E5. Even if Olympus do not make another DSLR I can't see how picture quality can be so significantly improved to make it necessary or desirable to get rid of my E5. As far as I'm concerned at the end of the day it's picture quality that counts not the camera it was taken with.

Thats what I think & feel ! *chr*chr*chr hic! :D I drunk to that
p.s. any chance of loading a couple as examples please ?

Nick Temple-Fry
25th April 2011, 01:43 PM
In a shock announcement today, astrophysicists announced that the current universe was to be discontinued. Quite frankly, they said, it was impossible to continue with it, to overcome ever more problems we have been forced to invent more and more infinitessimal particles with strange properties. Each new particle carries with it its own particular burden of additional errors and anomalies.

A prepared statement from the almighty said " Well what did you expect, when I first made the universe I didn't expect anyone to examine it in such minute detail. Quite frankly you lot are lucky that it has continued to work for as long as it has".

The almighty, who has made several universes before, went onto state " I expect I will make another universe in the near future. The next one will not include gravity, which whilst a useful technology has led to a lot of problems and compromises". When asked for further details the almighty stated "I have been very impressed with post-it notes, I believe they represent the way forward in universe design".

Olympus have committed to providing a camera to support their current range of lenses in the new universe.

No statement has yet been made by other camera manufactures whose future plans are unclear.

Nick

Pete Riley
25th April 2011, 03:27 PM
I really hope the E system is dead!!! Then with any luck there will be a glut of brilliant quality glass on the second hand market. A 300 2.8 for a couple of hundred quid WOULD be nice.:p:p

Chevvyf1
25th April 2011, 03:49 PM
I really hope the E system is dead!!! Then with any luck there will be a glut of brilliant quality glass on the second hand market. A 300 2.8 for a couple of hundred quid WOULD be nice.:p:p

Oooh! THAT would cheer me up ! Shall we start a WANTED thread - you first, me second *chr

DekHog
25th April 2011, 05:17 PM
I can understand peoples concerns - Olympus Pro glass is far from cheap; it's actually expensive as they make some of it F2 where it could have been cheaper and smaller at F2.8 - good glass should last forever, and only the body should need to be upgraded as improvements come forward in sensor and focusing technology.

The thought of being stuck with a sizeable four figure sum of investment in glass (yes, it is an investment), but being unsure if suitable bodies to support it will continue to be made in the future is indeed very disconcerting...

Graham_of_Rainham
25th April 2011, 07:59 PM
Have a look at the prices some of the OM f/2 lenses go for on eBay.

I'm not at all worried.

*chr

DekHog
25th April 2011, 08:37 PM
Have a look at the prices some of the OM f/2 lenses go for on eBay.

I'm not at all worried.

*chr

Are you talking about the current crop of F2 Pro lenses, Graham? If so, that's only due to having reasonably current and competitive bodies to put them on - should Oly decide to drop their E-x and E-xx range altogether, watch the prices swiftly decline, and quite rightly so..... I'm not knocking Oly, it's just a fact of life, and something people will take into consideration before spending 1000's of pounds on anything....

monoboard
25th April 2011, 09:03 PM
Talk about a hornets nest, This chat i started has had a lot of replys and i feel one or two have got the wrong end of the stick.

I have used Olympus since i was 18 ish and i am am now 52 so i did not buy as a investment but for the enjoyment, BUT as now that most of the pics i take are fast moving in good to awful light conditions and lots of snow so i need a good lens with fast auto focus and yes i have to consider money.
My daughter has been in Team GB junior ski team for some years and i have to pay for her to represent the country unlike some other sports and if Olympus were to bring a new camera out that could cope with noise a little better and focus faster to match their brillant lenses it would a wonderful show of support for all the dedicated Olympus enthusiasts. (better if i could spell)

David

timg
25th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Talk about a hornets nest, This chat i started has had a lot of replys and i feel one or two have got the wrong end of the stick.

I have used Olympus since i was 18 ish and i am am now 52 so i did not buy as a investment but for the enjoyment, BUT as now that most of the pics i take are fast moving in good to awful light conditions and lots of snow so i need a good lens with fast auto focus and yes i have to consider money.
My daughter has been in Team GB junior ski team for some years and i have to pay for her to represent the country unlike some other sports and if Olympus were to bring a new camera out that could cope with noise a little better and focus faster to match their brillant lenses it would a wonderful show of support for all the dedicated Olympus enthusiasts. (better if i could spell)

David

First congratulations on your daughter's achievements, you must be extremely proud! :D

We need to accept some compromises with the e-system (as with every system) and the biggest compromise for Olympus is the sensor. As they rely on outsourcing sensor development it will always be their Achilles Heel but with the march of time I see no reason why it can't keep improving.

The rumor mill is predicting a brand new 16mp Panasonic sensor... we'll just have to see if Olympus uses it in the future and how it compares to the current sensor.

To those who say "I don't see how image quality can be improved" from the E5, if you were asked the same question when you bought an E3 you would have given the same answer?

Let's be honest with ourselves, we all like new toys! :D

David M
25th April 2011, 11:52 PM

That was my reaction when all the weekend wannabes started whining what a disappointment the specs of the E-5 were before anyone had used it.

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 02:33 AM
My oldest camera, a Zeiss Ikonta, really is dead. It's been "dead" (meaning not manufactured) for at least 50 years, yet it still works and I can still get film to use in it. Ironically, though, at the moment I have (rather carelessly) got a half used roll of Kodachrome loaded in it. Now that really is dead, there's absolutely nowhere on the planet where I can get it processed, but it is the exception that proves the rule. Cameras, even 50 years old, are generally still compatible with the digital age, you just expose and process the film as normal then scan, no problem.

So why should E-System cameras be any different? Why should they cease to function at some point in the future when they are no longer manufactured? Many original E-1's are still going strong and producing beautiful pictures, so why shouldn't today's E-5's still be producing the goods in ten years time? Ten years is a long time in modern photography, in that period it's quite possible that Canon may once again change their mount to accomodate some new and presently unheard of technology, rendering all current EOS lenses as redundant as their FD mount optics.

I guess the real concern is that people don't want to get left behind with old technology. E-3's, 5's and 30's may well still be going strong in 10 years time, but they won't improve in line with the offerings of other manufacturers.

But what can't you do with an E-5 that you might need to in 10 years time? I can comfortably print to 16x12 from the E-3 and probably larger, I just haven't tried. I'm sure that with the weaker AA filter and SHG glass the E-5 could handle, say, 24x18 without any problems. Of course, by 2021 the latest Canikon mirrorless (*yes) cameras may well be up to 50mp and capable of prints the size of a house, but how big do we need to go? Anyway, by then interpolation software will be so much better than it is now, so the E-5 will effectively no longer be limited to "just" 12mp.

I accept that there's certainly more to image quality than just print size and resolution. DR is limited with all 4/3 sensors compared to others and as the others improve over the next 10 years the gap will surely increase. But do we really need more DR? After working almost exclusively with Velvia for 10 years before comming to digital, it still feels like my E-3 has spade fulls of DR.

High ISO is always a big bone of contention. O.K, the E-5 does very nice ISO 1600 but why should we limit ourselves to that when in 10 years time Nikon could have a FF camera doing noise free ISO 819200 or something similarly implausable. What's the point of having a camera capable of photographing the inside of one's own rectum without flash when it's too big to fit? For the ocassional pop concert, bonfire or candlelight portrait the E-3 does fine and I'm sure the E-5 is even better.

As others have said, the abandonment of the E-System could result in a bonanza of very cheap but high quality glass for us diehards and as far as I'm concerned the E-5 futureproofs the E-System (for me) for at least 10 years and I really don't want to look beyond that.

However, I really don't think I will benefit from a glut of SHG lenses at give-away prices as users abandon Olympus in their droves. It's a nice thought, but I fear that well within the 10 year theme of this rambling and verbose post most of today's doubters will happily be using their SHG lenses on a 16mp Olympus Micro 4/3 weatherproof pro body of similar weight and dimensions to an E-1 with very high quality EVF, super-fast focusing and, of course, all the sensor improvements that we would expect to accrue during that timescale.

And me? Well, I probably won't be able to afford that super new pro class MFT body, but I'll still be happy with the reasonably priced secondhand E-5 I will eventually get when everyone else upgrades. :D

monoboard
26th April 2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your replys, i also have a zeiss ikonta but the one i really like looks 99.9% the same as Frank Hurleys pocket camera that he used on the endurance boat or should i say ship.

reg

David

Grumpy Hec
26th April 2011, 07:13 AM
After being worried about staying with Olympus I decided a couple of weeks ago that nothing else cuts it for my requirements.

Looking at Cannikon non of their bodies match what I want and the lenses are all soooo much bigger and less mobile. My holiday & safari in Kenya over Christmas aned New Year was greatly enhanced by watching Canokon guys lugging huge bags around whilst I got the benefits of relatively compact size and agility plus extra reach from my lenses.

So I have an EX25 on order from Kerso and my lusting for an E5 plus 12-60 & 50-200 will eventually be satisfied when the bank robbery plans are succesfully completed :)

As someone said lets show faith and with the comments about Ex & Exx reported in this thread we should all be happy.

Hec

Ross the fiddler
26th April 2011, 07:33 AM
After being worried about staying with Olympus I decided a couple of weeks ago that nothing else cuts it for my requirements.

Looking at Cannikon non of their bodies match what I want and the lenses are all soooo much bigger and less mobile. My holiday & safari in Kenya over Christmas aned New Year was greatly enhanced by watching Canokon guys lugging huge bags around whilst I got the benefits of relatively compact size and agility plus extra reach from my lenses.

So I have an EX25 on order from Kerso and my lusting for an E5 plus 12-60 & 50-200 will eventually be satisfied when the bank robbery plans are succesfully completed :)

As someone said lets show faith and with the comments about Ex & Exx reported in this thread we should all be happy.

Hec

I would agree with your thinking too. Can I ask what you're expecting from the EX25? The EC20 or EC14 (better) would go well to extend the telephoto range of your 50-200.

Grumpy Hec
26th April 2011, 07:55 AM
The EX25 is my releatively cheap way of getting into macro, well near macro, work. I plan to use with my kit lenses ( 14-42, 50-150) ) and see what happens when I pair with my bigma 135 - 400. The latter has been tried by other forum members with good results. At some time in the future a Sigma 150 would be nice but they are in short supply and so the EX25 is the interim solution.

After that I guess a 12-60 makes sense as the next priority for my usage closely followed by the 50-200.

Hec

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 08:19 AM
The EX25 is my releatively cheap way of getting into macro, well near macro, work. I plan to use with my kit lenses ( 14-42, 50-150) ) and see what happens when I pair with my bigma 135 - 400. The latter has been tried by other forum members with good results. At some time in the future a Sigma 150 would be nice but they are in short supply and so the EX25 is the interim solution.

After that I guess a 12-60 makes sense as the next priority for my usage closely followed by the 50-200.

Hec

A man with a plan - I like it! :)

Grumpy Hec
26th April 2011, 08:22 AM
A man with a plan - I like it! :)

Baldrick approved it :D

timg
26th April 2011, 08:25 AM

I use the EX25 with the 40-150 and it works quite nicely, though you do have to manually focus.

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 08:42 AM
I use the EX25 with the 40-150 and it works quite nicely, though you do have to manually focus.

For macro manual focus is often better anyway. I use it more often than AF on the Sigma 105mm that I kindly have on long-term loan from a friend. :)

Grumpy Hec
26th April 2011, 08:47 AM
thanks guys - I envisaged manual focus so not an issue.

Just want the postman to appear clutching a parcel. :(

Telemark
26th April 2011, 08:53 AM
I have 2 Canon 35mm cameras, an F1N and a T90 - both of which I've had for years (the T90 from new in fact), and a number of FD mount lenses - not made now for at least 20 years. They are still going strong, and (so far at least) when there's been a problem, I've been able to get them fixed. I see no reason why the same should not be the case for any of Oly's 4/3rd cameras or lenses.

Zuiko
26th April 2011, 09:44 AM
I have 2 Canon 35mm cameras, an F1N and a T90 - both of which I've had for years (the T90 from new in fact), and a number of FD mount lenses - not made now for at least 20 years. They are still going strong, and (so far at least) when there's been a problem, I've been able to get them fixed. I see no reason why the same should not be the case for any of Oly's 4/3rd cameras or lenses.

Those are both quality cameras and I can remeber when the F1 was highly regarded as a real pro camera and the T90 was the bee's knees - cutting edge technology. I bet you still get great results from them, too. :)

Telemark
26th April 2011, 11:10 AM
The cameras and lenses are great - unfortunately, I'm rubbish.

Chevvyf1
26th April 2011, 11:13 AM
The cameras and lenses are great - unfortunately, I'm rubbish.

Ah! BUT YOUR POTENTIAL WITH THE BEST is to be the BEST !

Chevvyf1
26th April 2011, 11:30 AM
Oooh! So EGG cited ! My E-5 is en route and shall be here tomorrow afternoon by Courier !

Cancelled Pixmania order as they now confirm 8th May +3 or 4 days ! Getting too near the holiday flight date out!

Tele order with Park Cameras this morning when I did my "stock check of E-5 phonearounds" - I know there has been bad feedback on Park - but lots of good feedback too !

But I ordered an EX-25 off ebay and only when it had not arrived and I looked for supplier contact details - I realised it was Simply Electronics ! Arghhhh ! NO I thought ! but it arrived in two weeks and is great, was well packed and by Courier from Burgess Hill (UK depot some orders IF IN UK stock!)

IF there are ANY PROBS at least I have a few weeks to sort them or HIRE one from Ian ???

Ray Shotter
26th April 2011, 11:37 AM

Ian

Ian,

If your prediction becomes fact then, in my opinion, it would be a great step forward by Olympus. I am assuming that such a model would be mirrorless and fitted with a high quality electronic viewfinder like the VF-2 (but built into the body of the camera rather than the existing clip-on).

Having owned and used the E-1, E-510 and the E-3 and now an E-P2 - I have to admit that one of my reasons for sticking with Olympus is the in-camera operating software. I still have a C8080WZ which was my first digital camera. The main features which impressed me to buy it were the build quality, the lens quality and the easy to use in-camera operating software. Those were and still are the main reasons why I bought the subsequent Olympus cameras which I have owned.

I am aware that many members do not wish to accept Electronic viewfinders - I was doubtful initially - because I was aware of the limitations of the electronic viewfinder on my C8080WZ - but it cannot be compared to the VF-2 which is infinitely superior.

I shall be sticking with Olympus for many reasons not the least of which is the fact that I have still a lot to learn about the features available in Olympus cameras. And, in any case, I am getting to the point in my life where this dog is finding it difficult to learn new tricks.

Ray.

DekHog
26th April 2011, 01:55 PM
I'm predicting an E-1 sized body that takes Micro Four Thirds lenses and Four Thirds lenses with the appropriate adapter.

I missed this earlier, but must admit I love the sound of this..... hopefully it will come to fruition...

Chevvyf1
26th April 2011, 01:56 PM
Add tracking AF ! or even an E-5 firmware upgrade !

Joop
9th May 2011, 06:31 PM
There will be an E-7 but they are unsure about the E-9. It greatly depends how fast they are going with the mirrorless system. For some reason the mirror seems to be not good enough anymore. However, Olympus makes the big mistake to concentrate too much on the Asian market which is totally different from the European market. Mainly due to the fact that European's are among the largest people on earth. So the bodies with the smaller concept are fine for Asian market, but too tiny for most of the European market.

There is no need for an E-x with the ability of using mFT lenses as long as they are what they are today. I'm not waiting for mFT lenses with 3.5-5.6 as maximum lensopening. Its just not enough. An E-1 sized body with of course the sealing is only useful if there are mFT lenses with maximum lens opening of 2.0 (or better) to 2.8. And those lenses have to be weather sealed too.

Olympus should also bring that FT macro lens on the market, a very good zoom with specs like the 50-200 or so. Also long tele's to make maximum use of the cropfactor 2.0 would be a good idea.